• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

ez pass in pannier work?

mcnikitas

Have 2004 r1150r with hard plastic pannier. Anyone try mounting an EZ Pass transponder inside, and if so, does it work? EZ Pass person says it does work but I'm skeptical.

Don't know about panniers on an R bike, but my KTag (Kansas) works fine inside the sport panniers of my ST. Guess you can try it, worst that can happen is a license photo in the mail with a small fine. You can probably argue your way out of any fine. Worth a try, eh?

Yes, I set up my EZPass on my R1150RT that way (topcase) and it worked fine. It was a great setup...out of the way...out of sight...protected from weather. I tested it by riding through the attended lane with exact change in case the transponder did not work. Just as I reached the booth the gate popped up for me. You may also want to give it a test ride. This set up also worked for me in the sidecase of my R1100RS. Just to be clear, both my cases were plastic, not metal.

Yes, I set up my EZPass on my R1150RT that way (topcase) and it worked fine. It was a great setup...out of the way...out of sight...protected from weather. I tested it by riding through the attended lane with exact change in case the transponder did not work. Just as I reached the booth the gate popped up for me. You may also want to give it a test ride. This set up also worked for me in the sidecase of my R1100RS. Just to be clear, both my cases were plastic, not metal.

The next time I'm in the US (won't be for awhile with the COVID-19) I'll try this. I know that it does not work when in my jacket's chest pocket. :banghead

Don't know about panniers on an R bike, but my KTag (Kansas) works fine inside the sport panniers of my ST. Guess you can try it, worst that can happen is a license photo in the mail with a small fine. You can probably argue your way out of any fine. Worth a try, eh?

will do.. thanks for report.

Thanks Bluehole.. will try. Mine is plastic, too.

I had mine in my jacket sleeve clear plastic pocket, didn’t work at I-84 Newburg NY bridge. Collector said it has to be out of the jacket to work but I suspect it was a centering under the scanner issue.

Hi all - Success - mounted EZ Pass....

...inside top of plastic hard case, went thru the cash or ez pass lane to test, and IT WORKS, at least in NH. Mike

Back