• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K75RT Clutch Noise

Someone passed me their k75rt to try and fix a clutch problem. As is the norm, I'm having a horrible time finding a forum thread or YouTube video to help guide me.
When you start the bike, in neutral and clutch engaged (lever out), there is a horrible noise whirring loudly and when you squeeze the clutch lever the noise sorta spins down then with a louder quick whine it stops (spinning?) and goes quiet.

The owner said the bike is stuck in neutral.

It's almost like something is spinning while the clutch lever is out but when you squeeze it in it stops spinning. This aims me at a bearing.

I believe that rules out the throwout bearing, and now I'm down to is it in the clutch plates area or is it a shaft in the transmission? . I asked that because my R 1100 GS had the bearing go bad on the final output shaft and it was almost similar in noise, however this one is significantly louder. (I am aware it is two different engines)

Thank you for the help.

Last edited:
I would imagine if you took the trans off and inspected the clutch you would find the source of the noise, Is this the info you seek, how to take it apart?
Somethings broken in there,
Nick

Is it just noise? Will the bike propel itself? If it won't go it could be a stripped spline.

It very much could be an input shaft bearing. That is what turns when the clutch is engaged (lever not pulled) and stops or slows when the clutch is disengaged (lever pulled).

Thanks guys. I don't have a service manual, but did repair the output shaft bearing on my GS. I'm confident, but also don't want to go in shot gunning it.

Interesting fact... There is a wise Old Gentleman who repairs the old are heads down in Mississippi. I called him regarding my output shaft bearing... Which was tapered bearings. He publicly chuckled and said no sir BMW his never use tapered bearings in a transmission. I told him I'm looking at the tapered bearing in my hand. He brought up the microfiche and said oh my gosh throw those things out and put a roller bearing in there. I said that's what I was calling to inquire about!

My bad. I forgot to mention "it's stuck in neutral".
I serviced (installed, calibrated, maintained) medical equipment for the USAF and hated a lack of info on the problem. Sorry I left that out!

Is it just noise? Will the bike propel itself? I
t won't go it could be a stripped spline.

It very much could be an input shaft bearing. That is what turns when the clutch is engaged (lever not pulled) and stops or slows when the clutch is disengaged (lever pulled).

My bad. I forgot to mention "it's stuck in neutral".
I serviced (installed, calibrated, maintained) medical equipment for the USAF and hated a lack of info on the problem. Sorry I left that out!

I am quite confident that the issue is not the clutch and is in fact a malfunction internal to the transmission. Step one is of course to remove the transmission and verify that by examining the clutch. Step two is then deciding whether to dive into the transmission yourself or sending it off to one of the gurus like Tom Cutter, or Ted Porter, or Anton, or Hansens, or somebody else.

It is VERY possible that the splines in the clutch disc and/or the splines on the transmission input shaft are completely stripped. It will seem like it is in neutral (won't move), but will make a terrible whirring grinding noise until the clutch is pulled in. I've bought a bike with this exact problem. This was brought on by the previous owners never lubing the clutch splines. I replaced the clutch disc and the transmission input shaft and all was well.

BMW does use tapered bearings on the input shaft of Kbike transmissions.

If you are going to try working on this bike, buy a Clymers manual. It will save you a bunch of grief.

:dance:dance:dance

Stuck in neutral? Really? Or not?

What does the gear indicator on the dash say about what gear it is in as you attempt to change gears. If it indicates N all the time that is one thing. If the gear indicator changes but it still won't go I agree with Lee that you have a stripped clutch hub spline.

Gents, my thanks to all for your quick and helpful replies.

Lee and Paul, you guys seemed to nailed it. The owner said "it won't come out bof neutral ", but as Paul mentioned, "is it" not going into gear? I hadn't tried it, only hit and run to load it on the trailer yesterday and then off today - oh did start it, but dint try shifting.

Just did. It is shifting into gears and the wheel tries to turn. So something is most likely stripped.

The owner happened you have a Clymer Manual but forgot to mention it. I now have it. Hope to let the fun begin soon.

Thanks guys

Paul, I hope you have a sense of humor. My last military assignment was Anchorage AK. When the genta from Texas would start with their lone start and how big they were we'd ask "do you know what happens you Texas is you cut Alaska in half?"

Quote... Stuck in neutral? Really? Or not?

Paul, I hope you have a sense of humor. My last military assignment was Anchorage AK. When the genta from Texas would start with their lone start and how big they were we'd ask "do you know what happens you Texas is you cut Alaska in half?"
Quote... Stuck in neutral? Really? Or not?

Tech Sergeant, US Air Force, Electronic Warfare Countermeasures Technician, King Salmon Air Force Station, King Salmon, Alaska - 4/1970 - 4/1971. TDY to Cape Newenham, Cape Ronanzoff, Barrow, Nome, Tatalina, Fairbanks, and Anchorage, and a few other bases, playing radar gotcha with the Russians when it mattered. I know how big Alaska is, and also how empty of human occupants is is. If I hadn't been at remote bases, away from my wife and kids I might have liked it more. However since then, on BMWs we have been to Alaska at least 10 times. Mostly Hyder or the Cassiar, but all over twice.

Awesome Paul! Thanks for your service let alone the autism sacrifice of being remote and from your family.

The answer, as you know, is Texas becomes the third largest state, LOL.

My father was career navy and we spent two years on Kodiak Island. I Anchorage was my last assignment in the USAF as a Biomedical Equipment Repair technician (my entire career). We flew out kids in and rode 3 motorcycles and drove one car (wife and daughter swapped between car and a F650GS Dakar) to Titusville PA. About 4100 miles.

To add to the unusual state to be in I was born in Hawaii. Two tours in Germany and one in Italy. I've been blessed with about 15,000 miles in Switzerland alone, and was replacng front tires every 9 months at Aviano AB, Italy, which is right at the base of the alps. ��. All blessings!

I'm sure your familiar with the elephant cage at Elmendorf?

Wow, ten times! My buddies want me to lead them but I keep saying it's a one way trip. Just takes to long each way

Tech Sergeant, US Air Force, Electronic Warfare Countermeasures Technician, King Salmon Air Force Station, King Salmon, Alaska - 4/1970 - 4/1971. However since then, on BMWs we have been to Alaska at least 10 times. Mostly Hyder or the Cassiar, but all over twice.

Back