• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2019 XR Fuel Capacity and Range

MotoDruid

Hello,
I have read in all kinds of places and reviews that the fuel capacity is either listed as 5.2 US Gallons, or 20 litres.
Now, it's been my experience over 3000 miles that when the fuel light comes on the range usually reports 35-42 miles, and the most the tank will take is 4.2 gallons. That leads me to believe the reserve is 1 US Gallon. Also, I'm not that brave so I've only ridden for another 18 miles and the range was correlating at 17 miles, the fuel bars had vanished but it still only took 4.5 US gallons.
Here's the point of the post - how much have y'all managed to squeeze in the tank, or how far do you ride it past the fuel light coming on?

I go by my trip meter, not the onboard computer data. Running back from Ca. one night, the bike starting counting down to miles left on tank. It was another 25 miles to the nearest station. When I pulled in, the bike took 4.5 gallons [ which meant I still had 3/4 gallons left ], while the computer told me I'd been out of gas for 25 miles.

I've since determined on my bike, when the light comes on, I've got that 1 gallon reserve.

Be proactive

On all my beemers I have put a half-gal of gas behind me and run the bike until it was truly out of gas.

This way I knew how far in a pinch I could go if really necessary. My '16 XR is good for 200+miles and even when I am out per the display I still have 15mi to go.

I am sitting on overall mpg of 41 at 12K miles.

Fuel Capacity & Range

While I do not have a 2020 BMW S1000XR, my 2019 BMW R1250GS low fuel indicator light is set conservatively. I have ridden the motorcycle to the point where I was at 10 miles of range left but could only squeeze about 4.4 gallons into my 5.2 gallon tank. I suspect that all motor vehicle manufacturers set this device somewhat cautiously to ensure a rider is almost never stranded if they react to what the bike is telling them.

Kent

Back