• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2018 R1200RT GPS mount

lstayner

After my last trip, I have decided to go with a GPS unit. Cell phone apps just aren't cutting it. I am probably going to go with the TomTom Rider 550 vs a Garmin or BMW unit. I had a really bad experience with my last Garmin GPS for a motorcycle. Garmin customer service was severely lacking. Kind of a screw me once, shame on you, screw me twice, shame on me.

A while back someone posted an adapter that would plug into the front where the standard BMW GPS plugs in. Can someone point me in the right direction please?

There is an adapter called the WunderLinQ, I have one in the Classifieds if it fits the bill. I am moving to a BMW Nav VI.

I suppose you could use it as a cell phone charging interface, and then mount a Tom Tom to it. It has standard RAM mount spaced inserts.

There is an adapter called the WunderLinQ, I have one in the Classifieds if it fits the bill. I am moving to a BMW Nav VI.

I suppose you could use it as a cell phone charging interface, and then mount a Tom Tom to it. It has standard RAM mount spaced inserts.

Do you have a link to your add?

No warranty support for TOMTOM ?

Recently purchased a new TOMTOM rider 550, have issues with the charging dock, at present there is no way to contact the manufacturer for warranty issues. Still waiting for return of email from seller so I can return the unit. Haven't heard anything 4 days later. Think twice about TOMTOM

I tried one of these yesterday. It fits in the RT slot just fine. The problem is the USB ports are on the side and there is no way to access them to plug a phone in. If all you are looking for is a phone holder, it works great. Just don't plan on charging the phone.

Recently purchased a new TOMTOM rider 550, have issues with the charging dock, at present there is no way to contact the manufacturer for warranty issues. Still waiting for return of email from seller so I can return the unit. Haven't heard anything 4 days later. Think twice about TOMTOM

Thank you for the heads up. I wish BMW didn't feel the need to double the price of a Garmin.

Thank you for the heads up. I wish BMW didn't feel the need to double the price of a Garmin.

It is expensive because it interfaces with the whizzy bangy wonderful wheel or whatever they call it. That is special software programming that has to be paid for by somebody. They have chosen the customer to pay for it. If you just want a GPS get a Garmin, a Garmin mount, and some RAM hardware to mount it where it works for you.

I tried one of these yesterday. It fits in the RT slot just fine. The problem is the USB ports are on the side and there is no way to access them to plug a phone in. If all you are looking for is a phone holder, it works great. Just don't plan on charging the phone.

I bought one like this and it works great https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4000602635367.html . It charges my phone and I use Waze for nav. I paid around $30 for mine and have not regretted.

I bought one like this and it works great https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4000602635367.html . It charges my phone and I use Waze for nav. I paid around $30 for mine and have not regretted.

I bought one too. It holds an Iphone great. The problem is that I couldn't plug a power cord into it. The plugs were covered by the side cowling. Returned it.

I also used to use Waze for navigation. It works good for point A to point B trips on major highways. It sucks on back roads and in no cell service areas. I have also tried Genius maps, Sygic and Rever. All have their strong points but they also have their weak points. Sygic would be the best one of the three I mentioned.

Have you tried Google Maps, with downloading the map for the area you want to be in? Just curious.

Have you tried Google Maps, with downloading the map for the area you want to be in? Just curious.

Oh yes. I have tried just about every mapping App available. I got stranded by Google, Apple and Waze on a business trip to Virginia. No cell service less than 30 miles from Richmond with US Cellular. By the time I got service, I was 20 miles past the exit I needed to take. Granted, I didn't have a map downloaded to my phone but I got caught by the unexpected cell service hole.

I use Google Maps almost every day to look at something or some place. But for me at least it is a total bust in trying to plan a route from X to Y. It always routes on major roads or only slightly less major roads. I lack the time or patience to try to actually plan an enjoyable route using it.

I used to use my Verizon based cell phone for navigation in the car and hardly ever had a no service area. Verizon is the cat's meow when it comes to coverage. Former GL 1800 had integrated Navi that worked like a charm and gave weather warnings as well. Sprung for the Navi 6 on the 1200RT and for Navi it's better than anything. Pricey but excellent for navigation. Just wish it also had weather alerts but I've started to get used to the Bring More Wallet philosophy of BMW. Not that I like it, just getting used to it.

I used to use my Verizon based cell phone for navigation in the car and hardly ever had a no service area. Verizon is the cat's meow when it comes to coverage. Former GL 1800 had integrated Navi that worked like a charm and gave weather warnings as well. Sprung for the Navi 6 on the 1200RT and for Navi it's better than anything. Pricey but excellent for navigation. Just wish it also had weather alerts but I've started to get used to the Bring More Wallet philosophy of BMW. Not that I like it, just getting used to it.

You can get weather alerts, just download an app from Garmin, $5.00 lifetime fee. You'll not only receive alerts but also have radar and more. You do need cell coverage but you have Verizon ;)

View attachment 79786

Here is a picture on my R1250Rt. It charges both my apple and android phones. I have not played around with google maps (yet). I have changed my setting to avoid major highways and then ignore it when a different road looks interesting.

The one I bought was no where near that deep. The plugs were covered by the side.

I used to use my Verizon based cell phone for navigation in the car and hardly ever had a no service area.

You must not travel west on the Mississippi.
I travel The Dakotas, Wyoming and Montana and loose service all the time. That said I use Verizon and if I don't have service no one has service.

Back