• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2009 K1300GT - starting question

kychris02

My 2009 K1300GT will only start when in neutral. If it is in gear it will not start with the kickstand up or down or with the clutch engaged. Bike only starts when in neutral. Is this operating properly? My 2003 K1200RS would start in gear with the sidestand up and the clutch engaged.

My 2009 K1300GT will only start when in neutral. If it is in gear it will not start with the kickstand up or down or with the clutch engaged. Bike only starts when in neutral. Is this operating properly? My 2003 K1200RS would start in gear with the sidestand up and the clutch engaged.

No. The clutch switch has failed and should be replaced. Someday the neutral switch will fail and if they are both bad the bike will not start.

No. The clutch switch has failed and should be replaced. Someday the neutral switch will fail and if they are both bad the bike will not start.

Paul what about the sidestand switch?
Seems like my K1300 would not start with the stand down, in gear with the clutch lever held in.
Someone with a K1300 can check this because my memory is fuzzy :)

Paul what about the sidestand switch?
Seems like my K1300 would not start with the stand down, in gear with the clutch lever held in.
Someone with a K1300 can check this because my memory is fuzzy :)

Not sure! :scratch

Micro switch at clutch lever may be the easy peasy cause
1.5 mm hex and very minimal movement alters it working
In a very quiet setting you should hear it click with lever moving... engine off.

I think Paul has called it correctly—the bike is not recognizing that the clutch is disengaged, which would indicate the clutch switch has failed. The K1300 bikes WILL start in gear with clutch disengaged and sidestand up and will NOT start with sidestand down and bike in gear, regardless of clutch.

The question for the OP is whether or not the bike has cruise control and if so, is it working? The only switch shown on the handlebar clutch assembly is part #11 on this diagram, and selecting the correct part number will depend upon the presence/absence of cruise control.

Best,
DeVern

I pulled the clutch handle off and recognized 2 metal triggers that I could depress with the tip of my finger. They definitely clicked when i depressed them. I was able to engage the starter when I had had one of the triggers depressed with my finger and the bike in gear. I think the switch is operating. I did notice just one micro screw on the bottom of the clutch and it looks like there should be 2 screws. If a screw has worked it's way out and is not there ... could this produce the problem I am having? If so... Now where to get that tiny screw...

I pulled the clutch handle off and recognized 2 metal triggers that I could depress with the tip of my finger. They definitely clicked when i depressed them. I was able to engage the starter when I had had one of the triggers depressed with my finger and the bike in gear. I think the switch is operating. I did notice just one micro screw on the bottom of the clutch and it looks like there should be 2 screws. If a screw has worked it's way out and is not there ... could this produce the problem I am having? If so... Now where to get that tiny screw...

Yes, one trigger is ignition lockout and the other disengages cruise control. The parts fiche I linked to shows only one retaining screw. I would suggest re-installing the lever and adjusting the switch so you can hear the light “click” when the lever is very slightly pulled. For example, on my GT I hear the click just before the free play is taken up at the lever—this allows using a light touch on the clutch to disengage cruise without putting pressure on the clutch. Also make sure the lever is clean as any buildup of contaminants in there can alter the engagement point of the switches.

Best,
DeVern

Back