Thread: Garmin Map Update - 6/15/2020; North America Ver. 2021.10

Garmin Map Update - 6/15/2020; North America Ver. 2021.10

I just spotted this update when I looked at Garmin Express. Looks like it's the periodic map update for North America:

Screen Shot 2020-06-15 at 9.12.43 PM.png
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    MOA #153274
    "We have met the enemy, and he is us." Pogo/via Walt Kelly

Thanks John... always looking out for us.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 #364 #100
    BMW MOA Vice President

Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    Thanks John... always looking out for us.
    Reece, et al - I looked back a few months and this may be the same update they posted on 2/20/2020. I wonder why they'd do it again?
    MOA #153274

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    Reece, et al - I looked back a few months and this may be the same update they posted on 2/20/2020. I wonder why they'd do it again?
    The current map on our units is 2021.1
    Maybe the new update fixes a minor bug in the maps.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

I did the updates on our Nuvi and Debbie's Nav V.
    Less than a minute to do the updates.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I did the updates on our Nuvi and Debbie's Nav V.
    Less than a minute to do the updates.

Yup. Updates on my Nav VI and Zumo 660 were both less than a minute also.
    Bob Stewart
    Salem, OR

2018 RT

I'm sorry I wasted my time on this update. I already had a 2021.10 map from back in February. Installing the "new" 2021.10 map to my two computers (desktop and travel netbook) forced me to accept new versions of Basecamp and MapInstall. The problem I encountered on both installs is that Basecamp was downgraded from version 4.6.2 to 4.4.6. Since 4.4.6 cannot use a 4.6.2 (or 4.7.x) database all my tracks and routes appeared to be lost. Fortunately, I keep backups of the installation files and my database and nothing was lost but a few hours of time.

Be cautious if you think you want the latest and greatest maps It may be better to wait for a new "update".
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Dress for fall & avoid it AlanColes's Avatar
    As some have noted, Map version 2021.10 came out quite some time ago (February 19th, 2020 to be exact).

Are you guys using Apple-based systems? Perhaps it is an Apple or Apple-Garmin issue, vs a Garmin issue. I'm using a Windows-based system and when I connect my Nav-VI, Garmin Express doesn't show any outstanding map update.

It did show an update to Garmin Express v7.0.1.0 (June 9th for Windows and for Mac v7.0.0 was May 29th) as well as a GPS software update to v3.70 (it's up to v4.0 for some GPS models, but v3.70 for the Nav-VI), but no map update.

Garmin Express v7.0.1.0 update allows looking at map and software update descriptions without connecting a device.

There have been some reports of folks having an issue with some equipment and the Garmin Express v7.0.1.0 update. My PC had issues immediately after the Garmin Express update but a re-boot of the computer appears to have fixed everything.
    Regards, Alan - President BMWONS - BMWMOA/BMWRA/BMWONS/Airheads
    Current: 2019 R1250RT / '06 Ducati ST3s / '91 R100GS / '86 R80RT / '75 R90S / '73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '14 R1200RT / '04 R1150RT / '81 Honda GL1100 / '77 Suzuki GS750 / '73 Norton 850 Commando

Quote Originally Posted by AlanColes View Post

Are you guys using Apple-based systems? Perhaps it is an Apple or Apple-Garmin issue, vs a Garmin issue. I'm using a Windows-based system and when I connect my Nav-VI, Garmin Express doesn't show any outstanding map update.
    Alan - I think the MAC/PC difference is part of the issue here. I have been using a MAC for years. In this particular instance, I opened Garmin Express yesterday. It told me that a new Map update was available. Lazy me didn't look back to the most recent update, and I made the post regarding a "new" update, when it had been posted in February.

I imagine the extra work Garmin has to do to accommodate the MAC folks is neither easy nor cheap. Since all of us, MAC & PC use Garmin Express, and some use other Garmin software, this gets to be a very complex process for any update. LKraus has posted his difficulties regarding software and his travails are pretty dramatic.
    MOA #153274

I reported my experience to Garmin via their website (email), no response yet.

FWIW, I'm using Windows 10 Pro 64 bit on the desktop, Windows 10 Home 32 bit on the netbook. Both systems had BaseCamp replaced with an older version. Both were "updated" to older software.

In researching the trouble, I found that Windows BaseCamp 4.7.2 and MapInstall 4.2.2 were both released June 11. Those are the versions I would have expected Express to install. Instead, I was left with BC 4.4.6 and MapInstall 4.0.1. That is the MapInstall version I started with, so I don't know if it was overwritten by Express or if Express simply failed to change the program.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    I reported my experience to Garmin via their website (email), no response yet.

FWIW, I'm using Windows 10 Pro 64 bit on the desktop, Windows 10 Home 32 bit on the netbook. Both systems had BaseCamp replaced with an older version. Both were "updated" to older software.

In researching the trouble, I found that Windows BaseCamp 4.7.2 and MapInstall 4.2.2 were both released June 11. Those are the versions I would have expected Express to install. Instead, I was left with BC 4.4.6 and MapInstall 4.0.1. That is the MapInstall version I started with, so I don't know if it was overwritten by Express or if Express simply failed to change the program.
    I suspect Garmin’s first response will be to have you right-click the downloaded installer and rerun the installation using “Run as Administrator”. I’m curious as to whether 4.7.2 fixes the myriad issues with 4.7.0–especially the GoogleEarth integration.

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

I don't expect the Google Earth integration to ever return. Garmin dropped it when Google drastically increased their rates for access to the API. Garmin would rather sell you a subscription to their Bird's Eye satellite imagery.

The problem I had was not that I lacked permissions to install a program (I am sole user and have administrator privileges), it was that Express downloaded and installed older versions of the programs. In the case of BaseCamp, it was six revisions older than any that had ever been on my desktop computer. It installed just fine, but it was the wrong program. That made hundreds of routes and tracks, and over 15K waypoints inaccessible until I could figure out why.

From the Garmin site:

Changes made from version 4.7.1 to 4.7.2:
    Fixed routing mismatch issue on Zumo XT
    Fixed map display issue on Zumo XT
    Re-enabling Yelp searching
    Various stability and bug fixes
    FourSquare and Parkopedia products will now be displayed in BaseCamp as pre-loaded maps on specific devices

Changes made from version 4.7.0 to 4.7.1:
    Updated Help links
    Updated Garmin forum links
    Various bug fixes and improvements

Changes made from version 4.6.2 to 4.7.0:
    Updated BaseCamp to conform to GDPR requirements
    Improved MTP device support
    Removed online components of Garmin Adventures
    Removed Garmin Cloud Drive support
    Removed Garmin Connect find and upload
    Removed Picassa photo sharing
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

I did this for BaseCamp 4.6.

From forums.geocaching.com...:

It did work in Windows, but you had to tell Windows where to find the executable of GE:

* Open Command Prompt (Administrator).

* Type: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Google Earth Pro\client\googleearth.exe" /RegServer" and Enter. The path to googleearth.exe might be different.

* Close Command Prompt.
    I think it worked with 4.7. But I went back to 4.6 so I can't test it right now. The setting above works with 4.6.

/Guenther
    2017 F700GS - I wish it had a drive shaft

Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    I don't expect the Google Earth integration to ever return. Garmin dropped it when Google drastically increased their rates for access to the API. Garmin would rather sell you a subscription to their Bird's Eye satellite imagery.

The problem I had was not that I lacked permissions to install a program (I am sole user and have administrator privileges), it was that Express downloaded and installed older versions of the programs. In the case of BaseCamp, it was six revisions older than any that had ever been on my desktop computer. It installed just fine, but it was the wrong program. That made hundreds of routes and tracks, and over 15K waypoints inaccessible until I could figure out why.

From the Garmin site:

Changes made from version 4.7.1 to 4.7.2:
    Fixed routing mismatch issue on Zumo XT
    Fixed map display issue on Zumo XT
    Re-enabling Yelp searching
    Various stability and bug fixes
    FourSquare and Parkopedia products will now be displayed in BaseCamp as pre-loaded maps on specific devices

Changes made from version 4.7.0 to 4.7.1:
    Updated Help links
    Updated Garmin forum links
    Various bug fixes and improvements

Changes made from version 4.6.2 to 4.7.0:
    Updated BaseCamp to conform to GDPR requirements
    Improved MTP device support
    Removed online components of Garmin Adventures
    Removed Garmin Cloud Drive support
    Removed Garmin Connect find and upload
    Removed Picassa photo sharing
    I don't understand why you say Garmin Express did that upgrade?
    I run the same configuration Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit and did the upgrade from 4.7.1 to 4.7.2. everything runs as it should, no issue at all. That was done from within Basecamp, not Express.
    I had done the upgrade from 4.6.2 to 4.7.1 before, when the update came out.
    It looks as if your installation was rolled back, not updated. Did you do the update from 4.6.2 to 4.7.2 directly?
    Pat

Ride Safe!
    '16 RT

I have been intentionally keeping BaseCamp 4.6.2 and MapInstall 4.01 to retain features and avoid problems that newer versions have had. Yesterday, I ran Express and it upgraded itself (possibly the source of the problem) and said a new map was available called 2021.10. Even though I had 2021.10 maps since February, I agreed to the update - Garmin has previously corrected maps and kept the same number or added a decimal place that was not apparent until after the update. I did not intend to update either of the programs, but Express did not give me a choice to refuse the new programs when I chose the option to install the new map on the computer. Express installed the older Basecamp(and possibly the older MapInstall) along with the map.

My system is back (mostly) to normal, but I did have a moment of panic when I saw that my database appeared to be missing. I posted my experience here so that others can be prepared if they encounter the same downgrade. Seeing that many hours of work have disappeared can be a shock, even if you know you have backups.

I may end up manually installing the newest versions anyway. The Google Earth link has stopped working in BC 4.6.2 (even with the command line /regserver) fix, and MI 4.2.1 supposedly fixed the problem with third party maps.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT