Thread: How many spark plug sizes are there for an 03 R1150RT?

Angry How many spark plug sizes are there for an 03 R1150RT?

Hi,
    Recently purchased an 03 R1150RT, which I found out that it was made in 10/02. Not sure how that affects things like plug sizes or not. Just got a 14mm thin wall and it doesn't fit, looks to be too small. It also has and old style coil which uses wires that have a spring type fitting that they no longer make wires for. So I had to order a new coil and wires from the dealer ! Starting to think I should kept my Honda.

I've got a 5/8" spark plug socket that I had a machinist turn down the outside so that it would fit into the recess for the spark plug. There are a lot of spark plug sockets that won't fit into the recess but will fit the spark plug. You need to find one that fits both.
    2004 R1150RT 186,800 miles , 1991 K100LT 128,700 miles, 1982 R100RT 106,900 miles
    Total 422,400 BMW miles
    AMA,BMWRA,BMWMOA
    The cheapest thing on a BMW is the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat.

Welcome to the forum! I tracked down what type of spark plug should be used in the bike as a NGK BKR7EKC.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=12_1012

I found an NGK site here:

https://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=9354

and it appears that the hex size is 16mm...or 5/8" which is a tad smaller across the flats.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Did a factory tool kit come with your bike? If so you should find a spark plug wrench in there that works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by rogerc60 View Post
    Did a factory tool kit come with your bike? If so you should find a spark plug wrench in there that works fine.
    I use this.
    Signature

Talking

Thanks to all that offered advice about my spark plug issue !! Ended up as mentioned a 16mm thin wall. So after having to get a new alternator belt and a new coil and wires because the wires on my bike are not made anymore, I finally got the bike put back together and now thunderstorms for the next 2 days. I guess that's the fun of owning an older scoot !!

Quote Originally Posted by wmichal View Post
    Thanks to all that offered advice about my spark plug issue !! Ended up as mentioned a 16mm thin wall. So after having to get a new alternator belt and a new coil and wires because the wires on my bike are not made anymore, I finally got the bike put back together and now thunderstorms for the next 2 days. I guess that's the fun of owning an older scoot !!
    Yeah....my newest scoot is a '94, so I get it. I think...
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia

wrench

Quote Originally Posted by wmichal View Post
    Hi,
    Recently purchased an 03 R1150RT, which I found out that it was made in 10/02. Not sure how that affects things like plug sizes or not. Just got a 14mm thin wall and it doesn't fit, looks to be too small. It also has and old style coil which uses wires that have a spring type fitting that they no longer make wires for. So I had to order a new coil and wires from the dealer ! Starting to think I should kept my Honda.
    use the spark plug wrench that came with your toolkit.

Quote Originally Posted by RPGR90s View Post
    use the spark plug wrench that came with your toolkit.
    That is good advice with one big question. How should I attach my torque wrench.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/