• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K75C - - Is there a tall windscreen option?

vark

Every now and then a used K75 pops up for sale that tempts me.

Do any of you K75 experts know if there is a tall windscreen option available for the ”C” model?

Any other comments about the efficacy of the stock “C” fairing? The C windscreen looks short to me.

Thanks.

I appreciate the links.

Most of that info is pretty dated. Even back then, the mentioned options sounded sketchy.

I was hoping someone might have more current info on whether there is a reputable tall windscreen option available today for the K75C. I’m also curious to hear impressions of the stock “C” fairing and windscreen.

Other than a Laminar Lip I don't see how you could attach a larger shield to the small C fairing.

Other than a Laminar Lip I don't see how you could attach a larger shield to the small C fairing.

I was hoping an aftermarket company had come up with a taller shield that mounted with the same fastener pattern as the standard shield, as is done on loads of other makes/models. Maybe there weren’t enough “C” models to bother?

And I guess BMW never offered a taller shield either?

Any C owners have feedback on the fairing and screen? I like the integrated turn signals, but who knows maybe that’s a hassle for changing bulbs?

I like the integrated turn signals, but who knows maybe that’s a hassle for changing bulbs?

One screw.

The only thing I know of for the C with the fairing was the Laminar Lip. BMW did not make a larger screen for the C with the bikini fairing.

:dance:dance:dance

Any C owners have feedback on the fairing and screen? I like the integrated turn signals, but who knows maybe that’s a hassle for changing bulbs?

I think the C is a sharp looking bike. For some reason I don't think BMW sold many.
I rode a friend's C a few times and thought the fairing did a decent job.
1989 _0007.jpg

One screw.

The only thing I know of for the C with the fairing was the Laminar Lip. BMW did not make a larger screen for the C with the bikini fairing.

One screw, copy.

I took a look at that Laminar Lip and I suppose it has potential. Hard to find good photos of it mounted on a K75C, though. Their website only shows one grainy photo and I don’t even think it’s a K75C - - maybe a K100??

There was a guy on this forum who posted up some photos and seemed happy with it, but the photos have a Photobucket watermark that blocks much of the view.

Anyway, I’m glad to know about the Laminar Lip option, thanks for mentioning it.

I think the C is a sharp looking bike. For some reason I don't think BMW sold many.
I rode a friend's C a few times and thought the fairing did a decent job.

Your feedback is much appreciated. Love the Champlain Ferry photo!

I am getting off topic in my own thread, but what do you guys think about the differences between the C and a Standard? I know about the rear drum v. disc brake, and the C fairing. Anything else of significance? Apparently with the naked Standard, there are a lot of aftermarket windscreen options.

This may all be academic - - this is a bit of a detour from my ongoing search for an adventure bike. But I appreciate the inputs nonetheless.

The C came with inferior front forks that had 2" more travel and poor damping. They were prone to nosedives underbraking more so that later bikes. Fixable with aftermarket parts.
The forks were only an issue with how hard you wished to push the bike and personal preference.

Last edited:
The C came with inferior front forks that had 2" more travel and poor damping. They were prone to nosedives underbraking more so that later bikes. Fixable with aftermarket parts.
The forks were only an issue wih how hard you wished to push the bike and personal preference.

Good to know. Wasn’t aware of that.

Also, I just remembered the handlebars are different too. I suppose bar height/reach is primarily a question of personal preference. But are there any downsides to either the mid- (“C”) or tall- (Standard) bars?

I am getting off topic in my own thread, but what do you guys think about the differences between the C and a Standard? I know about the rear drum v. disc brake, and the C fairing. Anything else of significance? Apparently with the naked Standard, there are a lot of aftermarket windscreen options.

I thought the C had a drum rear brake like the standard. I should remember because I used to service our friends C because her husband could break a anvil in a sandbox.
The think the C bars are between the S and the standard.
Here are a few pictures to show the riding position. Not a perfect comparison because my wife on the S and T (standard) has long arms and the lady on the C has short arms.

Returning from Alaska.jpg

1989 _0034.jpg

Deb 91.jpg

The forks were only an issue wih how hard you wished to push the bike and personal preference.

Old Smokey, my '86 K75T was a "C" with taller bars, the International Shield and headlight surround used on the naked K100 bikes, as well as a double bucket touring seat, bags, and topcase. Once the "S" bikes came out with the sport suspension I bought and installed all of the K75S components into the forks on my K75T. It worked out very well even though some folks thought I was nuts to spend the money. But since I put 370,000 miles on the bike I did get my money's worth.

Good to know. Wasn’t aware of that.

Also, I just remembered the handlebars are different too. I suppose bar height/reach is primarily a question of personal preference. But are there any downsides to either the mid- (“C”) or tall- (Standard) bars?

Many K75S owners installed "C" bars. I don't think I ever heard of a T or RT owner doing that.

Old Smokey, my '86 K75T was a "C" with the International Shield and headlight surround used on the naked K100 bikes, as well as a double bucket touring seat, bags, and topcase. Once the "S" bikes came out with the sport suspension I bought and installed all of the K75S components into the forks on my K75T. It worked out very well even though some folks thought I was nuts to spend the money. But since I put 370,000 miles on the bike I did get my money's worth.

We changed the fork springs on our Ts.

I thought the C had a drum rear brake like the standard. I should remember because I used to service our friends C because her husband could break a anvil in a sandbox.
The think the C bars are between the S and the standard.
Here are a few pictures to show the riding position. Not a perfect comparison because my wife on the S and T (standard) has long arms and the lady on the C has short arms.

Thanks for those photos, they’re helpful.

Regarding your first comment about the brakes, I’m not an authority but my understanding is that the “Standard” bikes all had rear disc brakes. Only the “C” and “T” models had the drum rear brake, or so I gather.

Thanks for all the additional comments/info from those who have contributed.

Regarding your first comment about the brakes, I’m not an authority but my understanding is that the “Standard” bikes all had rear disc brakes. Only the “C” and “T” models had the drum rear brake, or so I gather.

On the earlier K75 bikes only the S had a rear disk brake.
Latter years the standard K75 had a rear disk brake.
98Lee can probably tell us when the standard got a rear disk.
98lee did the C ever get a rear disk?

Geesh.........From the Wayback machine..........Progressive springs and you tailored the pre-load with PVC pipe cut to length. 7.5W fork oil.

Not much of a modification.

In any case, some K75 guys claim the K75C was also sold with the bar-mounted screen that I recall as the K75T. My K75c had the small cowling fairing as shown on the white bike in the previous post.

On the earlier K75 bikes only the S had a rear disk brake.
Latter years the standard K75 had a rear disk brake.
98Lee can probably tell us when the standard got a rear disk.
98lee did the C ever get a rear disk?

Hmmm. Perhaps we are using different terminology?

This is my rudimentary understanding of the models - - all dates approximate:

K75 was introduced in the US in 1986 in two trims, the “T” and the “C”. The “T” was discontinued after model year ‘87, whereas the “C” continued until 1989 or ‘90(??). They both had rear drum brakes. The T was a naked bike and the C had a smallish bikini fairing with short windscreen.

An “S” model was introduced in 1987 and continued through end of production. “S” had a 17” rear wheel and all disc brakes, plus signature S fairing and suspension mods.

The “Standard” model was introduced in 1989 and continued through end of production. It had same wheel size as the “S”, as well as the full disc brakes, plus a standard low seat. It was also a “naked” bike.

The RT came out in 1991 (?) as a fully faired touring bike.

Did I miss any model? (Aside from police variants.)

But it seems like some of you guys are not distinguishing between the “T” model and the later “Standard” model, instead viewing them as the same? To my mind there are too many differences for them to be the same - - rear wheel size, brakes, seats, maybe the instrument cluster surround?? Then again, maybe that is the convention?

Between 7/85 and 3/90 3142 K75Cs were imported to the US.

The T, which was a US only model are included in this number. The VIN #s for the C and T are intermixed so it is hard to do a further breakdown.

Between 7/90 and 9/95 2401 K75 Standards (or Basics) were imported to the US.

Drum brakes were discontinued somewhere between 7/89 and 8/90.

Another issue to consider when thinking about a drum brake bike is that parts for the rear wheel (with integral brake drum), final drive (with mounts for brake shoes), and rear brake components are becoming harder to source with less than 3200 ever being imported over 30 years ago and BMWs recent corporate policy of allowing older, less profitable parts to expire and become no longer available from the dealers. I believe the shoes are still available, but the drum (wheel) is not and a lot of final drive parts for the drum brake models are NLA.

Example: If your final drive splines go bye bye, you can not just buy a good used final drive for $300 and keep on truck in' as you could with a disc brake bike.

Between 7/85 and 3/90 3142 K75Cs were imported to the US.

The T, which was a US only model are included in this number. The VIN #s for the C and T are intermixed so it is hard to do a further breakdown.

Between 7/90 and 9/95 2401 K75 Standards (or Basics) were imported to the US.

Drum brakes were discontinued somewhere between 7/89 and 8/90.

Another issue to consider when thinking about a drum brake bike is that parts for the rear wheel (with integral brake drum), final drive (with mounts for brake shoes), and rear brake components are becoming harder to source with less than 3200 ever being imported over 30 years ago and BMWs recent corporate policy of allowing older, less profitable parts to expire and become no longer available from the dealers. I believe the shoes are still available, but the drum (wheel) is not and a lot of final drive parts for the drum brake models are NLA.

Example: If your final drive splines go bye bye, you can not just buy a good used final drive for $300 and keep on truck in' as you could with a disc brake bike.

Great info and good point about the nla drum brake components.

Not that I would ever want to mess with it, but could someone with an older drum brake K75 just replace the drum set-up with a disc wheel and shaft, etc? Complicated and expensive, but possible?

Back