• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2013 F800GS Tires

protrainerusa

I have been searching the internet and MOA threads but can only find tire recommendations for the 1200GS and am not sure if they apply to my 800GS.
I recently picked up a 2013 F800GS that came with Anakee 3's, which are great on the road; however, I started riding with a buddy who rides mostly gravel/off road (NEBDR, Flatlander, etc). So my dilemma is that, while I ride mostly on road during the week, on weekends, I am venturing mostly off road. My current tires are fine on packed gravel, but beyond that, I am limited. Until my wife agrees that a second bike is needed (RT for road, GS off road), I am looking for the best tires for my situation.

I have been searching the internet and MOA threads but can only find tire recommendations for the 1200GS and am not sure if they apply to my 800GS.
I recently picked up a 2013 F800GS that came with Anakee 3's, which are great on the road; however, I started riding with a buddy who rides mostly gravel/off road (NEBDR, Flatlander, etc). So my dilemma is that, while I ride mostly on road during the week, on weekends, I am venturing mostly off road. My current tires are fine on packed gravel, but beyond that, I am limited. Until my wife agrees that a second bike is needed (RT for road, GS off road), I am looking for the best tires for my situation.

Take a look at the new Dunlop Trailmax Mission tires. Not sure if they have a size combo that works for the F800GS, but your intended use seems like a good match.

https://adventuremotorcycle.com/gear/dunlop-trailmax-mission-tire-review

Michelin’s Anakee Adventure has been well-received in the R1200GS community and would likewise be a good choice for the F800GS. I found the Adventure to be a real improvement over the Anakee 3 on my GS.

Best,
DeVern

Michelin’s Anakee Adventure has been well-received in the R1200GS community and would likewise be a good choice for the F800GS. I found the Adventure to be a real improvement over the Anakee 3 on my GS.

Best,
DeVern

Would it be safe to say that highly rated 1200GS tires would work as well on an 800GS even though there is a weight and tire size difference?

Would it be safe to say that highly rated 1200GS tires would work as well on an 800GS even though there is a weight and tire size difference?

Rear tire size is the same. Front on the 800 is 21 inch wheel, 1200 is a 19" wheel.

I don't see why a tire model that worked well on one would not work well on the other.

The dealer mentioned them but didn't know much about them. Do you know of anyone that has tried them?

Not personally/first hand. I’ve only read user reviews on another adventure-bike forum. The impression is very favorable.

One thing that impresses me (besides the blend of on/off road traction) is they are designed for longer tread life. And (by using different formulations for front and rear) they are supposed to wear evenly front/rear, so you replace them both at the same longer interval. In other words, longer tread life and you don’t need to replace the rear tire on a shorter interval than the front.

Not personally/first hand. I’ve only read user reviews on another adventure-bike forum. The impression is very favorable.

One thing that impresses me (besides the blend of on/off road traction) is they are designed for longer tread life. And (by using different formulations for front and rear) they are supposed to wear evenly front/rear, so you replace them both at the same longer interval. In other words, longer tread life and you don’t need to replace the rear tire on a shorter interval than the front.

They definitely sound good and the reviews are quite favorable. I was leaning toward the Mitas E07(+) but may give the Trailmax a try.

They definitely sound good and the reviews are quite favorable. I was leaning toward the Mitas E07(+) but may give the Trailmax a try.

If you do try them, please report back. They are a relatively new option and it would be interesting to hear your impressions with them on an F800GS.

There’s roughly 75lb difference in spec-sheet weights between the two, a difference that can be overridden one way or the other by solo/dual, or gear and luggage. And while some manufacturers make two versions of the same tire and label one as a heavy-duty version, it’s probably safe to say the focus is on cut and puncture resistance more so than load capacity. As for size, until you get into 50/50 or more aggressive tires I’ve seen only minimal differences in tread pattern between sizes. Heidenau K60 Scouts, for example, have a chevron tread pattern on the smaller rears and work well in a wide variety of conditions including mud. But larger sizes incorporate a meandering “center strip” on the rears, to increase mileage and/or pavement performance, and some riders feel that significantly reduces the effectiveness in mud. So you do want to be aware of that possibility as you shop, which is of course a good reason to hands-on shop the local dealer’s offerings.

Tire selection for adv-touring bikes always starts with the $64k question: What is a realistic measure of intended use? 80/20? 60/40? 50/50? What is the most common off-road surface found in your favorite riding area-sand? Mud? Hard pack or slick rock? Boulder gardens? And after that, a mix of other factors come into play—price, mileage, availability, load capacity, cut/puncture resistance, noise, etc. etc. And every recommendation you get will be from someone who has evaluated all those factors and made their choice for themselves and their specific needs or conditions, which is why your local dealer or fellow local riders probably hold your most useful advice.
:)
Best,
DeVern

There’s roughly 75lb difference in spec-sheet weights between the two, a difference that can be overridden one way or the other by solo/dual, or gear and luggage. And while some manufacturers make two versions of the same tire and label one as a heavy-duty version, it’s probably safe to say the focus is on cut and puncture resistance more so than load capacity. As for size, until you get into 50/50 or more aggressive tires I’ve seen only minimal differences in tread pattern between sizes. Heidenau K60 Scouts, for example, have a chevron tread pattern on the smaller rears and work well in a wide variety of conditions including mud. But larger sizes incorporate a meandering “center strip” on the rears, to increase mileage and/or pavement performance, and some riders feel that significantly reduces the effectiveness in mud. So you do want to be aware of that possibility as you shop, which is of course a good reason to hands-on shop the local dealer’s offerings.

Tire selection for adv-touring bikes always starts with the $64k question: What is a realistic measure of intended use? 80/20? 60/40? 50/50? What is the most common off-road surface found in your favorite riding area-sand? Mud? Hard pack or slick rock? Boulder gardens? And after that, a mix of other factors come into play—price, mileage, availability, load capacity, cut/puncture resistance, noise, etc. etc. And every recommendation you get will be from someone who has evaluated all those factors and made their choice for themselves and their specific needs or conditions, which is why your local dealer or fellow local riders probably hold your most useful advice.
:)
Best,
DeVern

Great info and advice. Thank you.

Don't forget Motoz Tractionator GPS, same basic design as the Heidenau but with a rubber compound that does better in the rain. I sold my 800GS when mine had something like 3k miles on them and they were only about 70% worn at that point.

Thanks for all of the info. I have narrowed it down to a few choices; unfortunately, unexpected surgery has sidelined me for at least the next month.

I originally considered replacing the Anakee 3s that came on my 17 F800GS with the Adventures, but everything I read indicated they were still a very road oriented tire. So I went with the Anakee Wilds. Some people complain they are noisy (doesn't bother me). They handle good on the road and infinitely are better than the 3s off-road. I guess as long as you never expect to deal with mud or sand the Adventure tires would be fine (just my opinion).

Back