• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Clearwater Lights Discount

ebell

I've just bought some Darla's, and pleasantly surprised about the price, and their slick website. Just in case anyone doesn't know this, and you're on the fence about adding lights...

Clearwater are adding "virtual rally" discounts. The money-off shows up when you add to cart, and it's a decent chunk o' change.

YMMV.

I've had Clearwaters on my bikes for a decade and have always been impressed by their quality and customer service. At the Sedalia rally Glenn noticed the black powdercoating wearing off the bezels of my Glenda lights. It didn't bother me at all but he actually tracked me down and replaced them on the spot, no charge! I shied away from the cost of adding them to my newest bike, a 2018 GSA, but after the third driver turning in front of me despite my OEM fogs and my hiviz gear I felt naked without them.

Krista/Erica combo with the amber slip-on lens covers on order with a 15% discount.

Pete

Nice looking lights. I like that there is the ability to buy a complete installation kit.
OM

I just can't see dropping $500 or more for auxiliary lights. I have a pair of small spots on my Harley I paid $12. They work great and have been on the bike for 3-4 years. I might buy a pair for my RT. Only down side is I had to fab my own brackets and wiring, but winter lasts a long time here in the Dakotas.

I just can't see dropping $500 or more for auxiliary lights. I have a pair of small spots on my Harley I paid $12. They work great and have been on the bike for 3-4 years. I might buy a pair for my RT. Only down side is I had to fab my own brackets and wiring, but winter lasts a long time here in the Dakotas.

To each their own. I can't see dropping $500 or more on a Harley. But there ye go.

To each their own. I can't see dropping $500 or more on a Harley. But there ye go.

I bet you would if the right opportunity came up!

I like how this went to bashing my choice of motorcycles. Do you have any input to why Clearwater lights are worth the price compared to other lights? Clearwaters are great lights, I just fail to understand the $500 or more price tag when there are many other options out there for a fifth the price, or even less.

I've had Clearwaters on my bikes for a decade and have always been impressed by their quality and customer service. At the Sedalia rally Glenn noticed the black powdercoating wearing off the bezels of my Glenda lights. It didn't bother me at all but he actually tracked me down and replaced them on the spot, no charge!

Pete

They're good to deal with and have great customer service.
When the coating started to flake on my wife's Darlas I called in to get a new bezel. They said it would be best if they replaced the bevels and they would do it free the next time we went to a National.
In they meantime they sent protective covers so I would not have to look at the flaking bezel :) This was free and they also sent a set for my bike 1/2 price.
At the Des Moines rally they changed Deb's bezels and even replaced the protective covers because the lettering was a little faded.

Heads up.
Clearwater shipping charges are obscene.

Joe

We use UPS daily and they are the ones who are obscene. Their daily price hikes with fuel surcharges has made us use USPS now more than ever when we can. We import German made toolholders and the airlines have seen it fit to raise their rates by 40% even though fuel cost have gone down. So another rip-off by the airlines.:mad
Not to say that some vendors aren't overcharging their clients for shipping however...

I bet you would if the right opportunity came up!

I like how this went to bashing my choice of motorcycles. Do you have any input to why Clearwater lights are worth the price compared to other lights? Clearwaters are great lights, I just fail to understand the $500 or more price tag when there are many other options out there for a fifth the price, or even less.

Hug? From 6 feet, of course... Besides, you did kinda open the door on criticism of purchases. Leading with the chin, as it were.

Last edited:
I guess I missed the part where I was critical of your purchase. I just said I would not spend that much on lights when there are otber choices out there. I thought it was a discussion. If you feel they are worth the price, no objection from me.

We use UPS daily and they are the ones who are obscene. Their daily price hikes with fuel surcharges has made us use USPS now more than ever when we can. We import German made toolholders and the airlines have seen it fit to raise their rates by 40% even though fuel cost have gone down. So another rip-off by the airlines.:mad
Not to say that some vendors aren't overcharging their clients for shipping however...

How about $13.04 to ship a small padded envelope via USPS?

Joe

Wow we are seriously off topic here.

But I love USPS so I need to ask when you say a small padded envelope, what was the rate of service next day, 2 day, even 3 day,

USPS First Class Package
3 business days

Took 4 days.

I will start a new thread once I come to a resolution.

Wow we are seriously off topic here.

But I love USPS so I need to ask when you say a small padded envelope, what was the rate of service next day, 2 day, even 3 day, try that with UPS and let me know what the cost is. Have you ever seen what other country's pay to mail things withing their country?

ON TOPIC:
As to ClearWaters I hate them with a passion. I tried to buy light from them twice. The first time they lied to me and said a ezCAN would ruin their lights. HEX had proof from their light board manufacturer that the ezCAN IS compatible. The second time was in person at a National and they were very rude again when I said I only was interested in lights I was going to use my ezCAN.

They are overpriced for ME and as dishonest as they were to get business for their controller and still are!

Denali D4 blows a lot of their lights out of the water for a fraction of the cost and gives you close or down range or both from lens kits, The Denali controller is great and made by HEX. The Denali D7 put out 15,000 lumen for 599.00. The D4 put out 8750 for 380.00

So if I am recommending new light to someone I ALWAYS point them to Denali. They are honest, friendly, on the spot for tech support, and are at a GREAT price point for a quality light.

I'm also a fan of Denali. My RT could be used for a Denali ad. I have the Denali DR1's mounted under the mirrors. I have Denali DRL's in amber mounted down low, near the axle. In the back, I was an early adopter of the B6 brake light bar (even before they had boxing/directions printed). I added two additional light bars (B6's, one on either side of my license plate -- again before the packaging/mounts were sorted out) recently. I replaced the stock horn with a Denali Mini-Soundbomb (fits great on the original mounting point). All of this is being driven by the Hex EzCan (version 1), all without problems. When there were mistakes with my order -- not surprising when ordering things before they're fully integrated into the product lineup -- they were corrected quickly and easily w/o any additional cost to me (and twice they told me to keep the mistakenly shipped parts). When i had questions about the wiring (new products are 3-wire, my version 1 EzCan is a 2-wire unit), they explained which wires to use to do what I wanted to do -- and they worked! I'm sure Clearwater makes a good product, too, but Denali is a quality product and the company stands behind them great!

I first got Clearwater lights for my 2006 RT, and a second time for my 2015 GSA. I think they're a quality product, and I've always found the company very easy to deal with. I've had nothing but a positive experience. That would seem too be the typical view, but as we see here, there are always outliers. As for price, that's an individual decision. If someone thinks they're overpriced, nobody is forcing you to buy them.

How about $13.04 to ship a small padded envelope via USPS?

Joe

We only ship in priority mail boxes, not envelopes...

Back on topic. Both my brother and I have Clearwater lights and have so far been very happy with them. We move them from bike to bike as that is the economic way to keep them. Are they overpriced? Maybe, but they are also of very high quality and made in the USA. Everyone will have to decide for themselves if they can justify the cost for Clearwater or get the Denali's. Both are good products. YMMV

I lucked into this discount. I had a set of Darlas in my cart but hadn't finalized the purchase. Came in the next day to do so and the price had dropped $128.

I love the lights but turned what should have been a 2-3 hour installation into a 9 hour one because I bought the kit with the BMW OEM foglight brackets and stoopid me didn't realize that the right and left ones weren't different. It took me hours to figure out why I couldn't get the faring back on.

I lucked into this discount. I had a set of Darlas in my cart but hadn't finalized the purchase. Came in the next day to do so and the price had dropped $128.

I love the lights but turned what should have been a 2-3 hour installation into a 9 hour one because I bought the kit with the BMW OEM foglight brackets and stoopid me didn't realize that the right and left ones weren't different. It took me hours to figure out why I couldn't get the faring back on.

Hey Rockbottom,

I hear you, mate. The instructions from Clearwater are only half-clear but the illustrations/photos could be improved, a lot. That said...

Can you help with a sanity check as to where the Canopener gets plugged in to the bike? I called Clearwater (but they're not open on weekends)

See attached.
There are three connectors on the Canopener (1, 2 and obviously not 3) and two plugs under the rear tail assembly (4 and 5)
I attached Canopener #1 to #4 on the bike - but no lights came on.
I've checked all other connections, inline fuse, fuses on the bike, posi-taps,everything looks connected.
Any input would be great.

Canopener.jpg

connectors.jpg

positaps.jpg

Back