• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

‘90 vs ‘92 K75S

The '92 does look very clean!

:dance:dance:dance

I agree but would need better pictures to tell for sure.
Paint finish, black cases and shield all look good in that one picture.
Bags, top box and ABS is a plus.
Seems like the first generation ABS is fairly trouble free. Is that correct?

Last edited:
Seems like the first generation is fairly trouble free. Is that correct?

If you are refereing to the first generation ABS, the control computer has some electronic bits that can go bad with age. There are several places that repair these and the price has been getting more and more reasonable. The first generation ABS is not as sophisticated as the newer ones (fewer pulses per second) but still could be a lifesaver in some situations. The bikes that have failed ABS still operate as standard brakes.

If you are refereing to the first generation ABS, the control computer has some electronic bits that can go bad with age. There are several places that repair these and the price has been getting more and more reasonable. The first generation ABS is not as sophisticated as the newer ones (fewer pulses per second) but still could be a lifesaver in some situations. The bikes that have failed ABS still operate as standard brakes.

Oops, I fixed my post to show first generation ABS :)
You're right, the first generation was a little crude but it kept the riding upright in a panic stop and was well worth the money.
A couple times we got too close and I made a sudden stop or bonehead move and I could hear the individual chirps of my wife's ABS on her 91 K75S.
Times like that I was glad to not have an intercom.

I didn't get the '92. It got sold. i asked the seller what he got for and he wouldn't say. i wonder if he got much more than I offered.

I'm not sure. I don't think BMW officially ever specified radial tires for the K75s but I do know some folksused them with the three-spoke wheels.

I was able to get a set of Dunlop D202 radial tires in the correct size for my '92 K75S and they were a major upgrade over the Michelin Macadam 50's I had been running. By the time they wore out Dunlop had stopped making the rear in the size I needed. I went from there to Bridgestone BT45's which were very crisp handling but short on mileage, and now am running Michelin Pilot Activs which are the closest to the radial feel of the D202's I've found so far.

Back