• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K75rt/k100rt

... I wish BMW had carried the K75 concept forward as a new middleweight offering with a modern suspension, but that didn't happen. I think it would have been a unique and capable bike.

And 4V heads!

:thumb:thumb:thumb

Nope, instead they thought we wanted an R1800. :scratch

That is a very intriguing suggestion, 36654. What a shame it never happened.

So, this suggestion has me wondering - - whatever happened to the K75’s 3-cylinder engine? Did it ever get used again in anything after the last K75s were manufactured in ‘95-96? Does BMW still sell new replacement engines? Or did they just dump it when they finished production of the K75?

So, this suggestion has me wondering - - whatever happened to the K75’s 3-cylinder engine? Did it ever get used again in anything after the last K75s were manufactured in ‘95-96? Does BMW still sell new replacement engines? Or did they just dump it when they finished production of the K75?

These are questions beyond my pay grade......

But, not to throw stones, after the brick experiment, BMW Motorrad seemed to focus on the more retro-looking R259 engine. It kinda looked like an Airhead and Harley was making great gains in sales volume in those years doing retro. In a few configurations, the R1200C looked similar to per-WW2 BMW.

If the K75 had evolved, I think, the current middleweight offerings would be more BMW-esque vs something outsourced and not that different from the offerings of competitors.

Last edited:
I wish BMW had carried the K75 concept forward as a new middleweight offering with a modern suspension, but that didn't happen. .

We kept hoping for a upgraded K75S, maybe a K90S three cylinder.
We gave up in 2003 and bought K1200RS that still had a Brick engine. We gained 60 HP but a lot more weight. Luckily the weight was not that noticeable when moving.

Complete new K75 engines (short block or long) are no longer available from BMW according to the MAX BMW parts fiche. Probably best as the price might stop your heart. :eek To the best of my knowledge BMW has never repurposed the engine from any motorcycle model line once both that model and engine stopped production.

I had a 1998 Triumph Thunderbird Sport for several years with the "classic" new Triumph 82hp 900cc DOHC triple with a counter balancer. If BMW had produced a three-cylinder version of the K1200RS engine (K900?) it would have produced about 97.5hp. My experience with the Triumph proved to me that if BMW had produced such a bike it would likely be my ride for life. A triple with a counterbalancer is an exceptionally vibration-free design. Add to that the distinctive sound of a triple, the power production characteristics, and compact form factor, and I think you have a very appealing power plant. The Triumph exhibited all those qualities and advantages.

We kept hoping for a upgraded K75S, maybe a K90S three cylinder.
We gave up in 2003 and bought K1200RS that still had a Brick engine. We gained 60 HP but a lot more weight. Luckily the weight was not that noticeable when moving.

When I bought the R11RS in 99, it took a while to accept the surging (mild on my bike), rubber mounted handlebars and vibration blurred mirrors. Lots more power and the suspension advancement was great.......but, the k75 engine was a lot smoother. The only real complaint I had about the K75 was the heat that would flow aft to the seat/groin area. The R11RS didn't have that issue.

Complete new K75 engines (short block or long) are no longer available from BMW according to the MAX BMW parts fiche. Probably best as the price might stop your heart. :eek To the best of my knowledge BMW has never repurposed the engine from any motorcycle model line once both that model and engine stopped production.

I had a 1998 Triumph Thunderbird Sport for several years with the "classic" new Triumph 82hp 900cc DOHC triple with a counter balancer. If BMW had produced a three-cylinder version of the K1200RS engine (K900?) it would have produced about 97.5hp. My experience with the Triumph proved to me that if BMW had produced such a bike it would likely be my ride for life. A triple with a counterbalancer is an exceptionally vibration-free design. Add to that the distinctive sound of a triple, the power production characteristics, and compact form factor, and I think you have a very appealing power plant. The Triumph exhibited all those qualities and advantages.

All interesting. What a shame BMW didn’t evolve/improve the design. A fully modernized K75 would be just about my ideal road bike.

Triumph still offers triples in a number of different models. But I don’t know much about that engine’s reputation for reliability, or country of origin, etc. Also, was Triumph’s triple ever coupled with shaft drive? I have a fuzzy idea that their engine is oriented differently??

When I bought the R11RS in 99, it took a while to accept the surging (mild on my bike), rubber mounted handlebars and vibration blurred mirrors. Lots more power and the suspension advancement was great.......but, the k75 engine was a lot smoother. The only real complaint I had about the K75 was the heat that would flow aft to the seat/groin area. The R11RS didn't have that issue.

For us the vibration was the same and even better for speeds over 80 because the K1200RS engine was rubber mounted.
We did not notice heat on the K75 because the T shield and S fairing did not direct heat to our legs.
Wearing leathers was also a big help on not felling heat on our legs.

For us the vibration was the same and even better for speeds over 80 because the K1200RS engine was rubber mounted.
We did not notice heat on the K75 because the T shield and S fairing did not direct heat to our legs.
Wearing leathers was also a big help on not felling heat on our legs.

My K1200RS has less apparent vibration than my K75s as anything above 1,500 or 2,000 RPM.

All interesting. What a shame BMW didn’t evolve/improve the design. A fully modernized K75 would be just about my ideal road bike.

Triumph still offers triples in a number of different models. But I don’t know much about that engine’s reputation for reliability, or country of origin, etc. Also, was Triumph’s triple ever coupled with shaft drive? I have a fuzzy idea that their engine is oriented differently??

The Triumph triple is transvers mounted and a chain drive which I found took little maintenance. They have a great reputation for reliability. At the time I had my Thunderbird Sport (about six years ago) I knew another local rider with the same bike with right at 100,000 miles on it with only standard maintenance.

Back