• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2018 K1600B Rough Idle

elgolpe

So, suddenly my bike decided it wants to ‘rough idle’. I took it in for trans recall service and standard oil change/service. Techs looked but couldn’t find anything amiss. No codes on scan. Still running rough. They suggested running new fuel through it and putting a couple hundred miles on to see if it clears up. So far, no dice.

I took a look at the air filter.. pretty darn clean. Don’t see any throttle cable issues.
I posted a video on YT here: https://youtu.be/2X0kIGc3e_w
Essentially at idle it is running rough. At speed no issues, but put it in first and coast.. and wham.. idle issues. Low speed or idle seems consistent - feels as if it is “missing” a cylinder - ie: brief loss in power continuity. I added some SeaFoam fuel cleaner, fueled the tank up with midgrade as usual. (Manual says midgrade and not premium as far as I remember.)

Any thoughts?

If not, I guess I take the dealer suggestion and wait until I bring it in for the 12K valve service?! :uhoh

While ignition could be a possibility this sounds like a fueling issue. I say add some Techron and ride it hard.

Not sure on the intake boot check.. I would assume so, but of course, you just never know if you get the right tech.
I don't see anything obvious around the air filter area.

I added about 6oz. of SeaFoam (it's like HEAT or Gumout) to the fuel tank, but only put like 5 miles on since.
Guess I need to take her for a real spin.

Any good service manuals/diagrams out there for the bagger??

Fly by wire throttle, no cable. Could be an intermittent ignition coil or throttle position sensor?

Last edited:
Seems to have worked out.

Well, not sure how or why, but fully disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it seems to have solved the issue. For now.

I have a feeling this is my bad. I have been filling up with super unleaded (89) all this time.
The K1600b manual for my 0F51 model states:

Recommended fuel grade Super unleaded (max. 10 % ethanol, E10)
95 ROZ/RON
89 AKI

Well I did some Wikipedia'ing (I created that verb) today.
Refer to this article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating#Research_Octane_Number_(RON)
That states clearly:

Difference between RON, MON, and AKI
Because of the 8 to 12 octane number difference between RON and MON noted above, the AKI shown in Canada and the United States is 4 to 6 octane numbers lower than elsewhere in the world for the same fuel. This difference between RON and MON is known as the fuel's sensitivity,[5] and is not typically published for those countries that use the Anti-Knock Index labeling system.

SO THEREFORE, the math itself puts me at (95+89)/2 = 92, which low and behold, here in the good ole' US of A is Premium. :usa

Well, not sure how or why, but fully disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it seems to have solved the issue. For now.

I have a feeling this is my bad. I have been filling up with super unleaded (89) all this time.
The K1600b manual for my 0F51 model states:

Recommended fuel grade Super unleaded (max. 10 % ethanol, E10)
95 ROZ/RON
89 AKI

Well I did some Wikipedia'ing (I created that verb) today.
Refer to this article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating#Research_Octane_Number_(RON)
That states clearly:

Difference between RON, MON, and AKI
Because of the 8 to 12 octane number difference between RON and MON noted above, the AKI shown in Canada and the United States is 4 to 6 octane numbers lower than elsewhere in the world for the same fuel. This difference between RON and MON is known as the fuel's sensitivity,[5] and is not typically published for those countries that use the Anti-Knock Index labeling system.

SO THEREFORE, the math itself puts me at (95+89)/2 = 92, which low and behold, here in the good ole' US of A is Premium. :usa

Not quite: The formula is Research Octane plus Motor Octane /2 = AKI

The spec you quoted included ROZ and RON and NOT MON.

The spec is AKI=89 which is what you see as mid-grade on US AKI labeled pumps.

Not quite: The formula is Research Octane plus Motor Octane /2 = AKI

The spec you quoted included ROZ and RON and NOT MON.

The spec is AKI=89 which is what you see as mid-grade on US AKI labeled pumps.

I stand corrected. Thanks!

In back to square one. Took it out today.. and not only did the rough idle come back but the Service light also went on. Guess I'm headed back to the dealer. (I don't have an OBD scan tool, and I bet it is going to be something weird anyway. We will have to see what the master mechanics come up with.

I'll keep you all posted.

Latest updates on the Rough Idle.

Well, still there. Sputters between 800 rpm and 1200 rpm in first gear. Not sure why.
I ended up snagging a GS911 and scanned it:

80401D
Tank switch error
The fault is not present now.
B7F61A
LIN bus message missing (from audio operating console)
800E94
Right front turn signal indicator, open circuit or short circuit to battery positive

The right front turn signal did have a Roundel light that grounded, but I had fixed that, so that likely was the service light issue.
While I was there I did a tank switch test, and it was fine. Reset the throttle settings also with the GS911. (Totally recommend picking one up.)
I also grabbed a service manual and my next step will be to run through it and see if I can diagnose it further.

In the interim, I'm on a second tank of mid-grade with seaFoam, and will take advantage of some sun here in the Pacific NW. :)
-E-

I had a similar issue with the throttle body

My 2018 was doing something similar, except I was getting a throttle body code. Most to the time it sounded like yours, but on occasion it would not run and throw the code. They replaced the throttle body and everything has been good sense.

Back