• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

G310R and GIVI saddlebags

rtford

Hi

I am new to the forum, so if I have entered this question in the wrong place just let me know.

I have a 2019 G310R and wanted to add saddlebags. After (what I thought) was much research, I settled on the GIVI 30 liter saddle bags. After trying to mount them, I discovered i needed the GIVI side mounts (TE5125).

As shown in the pictures, the mounts intrude on to the turn signals. The kit and instructions include a bracket to mount the turn signals close to the tail light, but do not show any wires. When I contacted GIVI, the only comment I got back was check with your manufacturer. Looking at the bike, I would need to either drill holes, plug old holes and figure out a way to protect the wires up to the new mounts

I guess my question is do people normally move the turn signals when mounting bags on this type of bike, any pointers on moving the tail lights, or don't worry about it? Also, did I just pick the wrong system, is there a better mount I could get that pulls the bags further away from the signals?

RoyIMG_1221s.JPGIMG_1219s.JPG

Last edited:
Hello,
I don't have the Givi system that you have but the Shad system on my G 310GS. Know that even the Shad system interferes with the turn signal lights. Shad has not responded to this issue and I truly think that most of these companies have not at all looked into the issues that they're products are causing on our motorcycle's. They just plain, don't care.

I don't think they don't care (sorry double negative), I think these are just hard problems to solve and they need to accommodate so many styles of bikes they just don't have enough bandwidth to do them all..

In doing my research the issue appears the turn signals are extra long to meet US standards (form what I can tell the length actually exceeds the standard), the European taillights are shorter and do not have this issue. In fact, BMW tried to offer the European LED lights as an option but the DOT felts they were not bright enough.

I am thinking now that I like the closeness of the racks and will replace the tail lights with Rizoma lights with extenders to get the length. They "should" fit correctly.

Will keep everyone posted

I have the same Givi mounts. I used the included bracket to move the turn signals -- the wiring was just enough to not require modification. It's well made and worked perfectly.

And then I bought some S1000RR turn signals (short stalk), mounted them to the original holes, added a flasher relay and now have flashers on the back. It looks a little alien but I like the option of having flashers when needed. No factory wiring was molested for any of it.

Latest Update, Got Everything Installed.

Because I liked the way the Givi racks appeared to be snug on the bike, I went for them and Rizoma Action Turn Signals to fit closer to the body (they are made of metal and feel really solid). The lights come with a resistor which needs to be in parallel with the light (the stock turn signal is a 10W bulb). The mounting adapter is the FR224 (one of the sites had the wrong part number). Had to pull the back end apart and had the classic "why are there 2 nuts and washers on the ground (the screw that attached the stock turn signal to the body). The instructions say the resistor can get warm so I zip tied it to the metal chassis.

Now to throw on the bags and go for a ride :)

Roy

P.S. Talked to the Dealer about the European BMW LED lights, they were available for a little while but recalled years ago.

Attachments

• IMG_1279 (2).JPG
    IMG_1279 (2).JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_1309 (3).JPG
    IMG_1309 (3).JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_1312 (2).JPG
    IMG_1312 (2).JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_1314 (2).JPG
    IMG_1314 (2).JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_1315 (2).JPG
    IMG_1315 (2).JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_1316.JPG
    IMG_1316.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 120
Ok, now for the latest fun.

Installed the Rizoma turn signals, work when I turn the key on, work when I turn the kill switch on. Today tried ot go for a ride but the signals fail when I start the motorcycle. When I stop the motorcycle they work again. I see in the Rizoma documentation that their is a parallel resistor setup for the F800R, with a 10W bulb, so I will give that a try. I am assuming this is the CAN bus seeing too much resistance, will post an update.

Ok, fixed the issue

Rizoma sells a 38 Ohm resistor for the CAN bus, replaced the included resistor with this one and everything works, engine running or not running. It needed a higher resistance since the alternator drives the system voltage from 12 to 14 volts, and CAN bus shuts down circuits if they are over current.

I also have a picture showing the signals with the bags installed, as you can see the lights are visible.

IMG_1321 (2).JPGIMG_1315 (2).JPGIMG_1368 (2).JPGIMG_1369 (2).JPGIMG_1370 (2).JPG

Back