• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

GTLE arm rest issue

johnholmes

I am disappointed in BMW. The other day I found that we had broken the casting that holds the arm rest on my GTL-E. That is bad but I realized I did a dumb thing. I called the dealer today and discovered that I needed to replace the entire framework and the other side in order to repair my bike. Further inspection indicates that the engineers designed this casting to fail just as it did preventing injury to the passengers leg. I have attached a snap of the parts manual and see that the pads are available. I wonder if the inventory they have will be there for the next 20 years. I cannot imagine how just the pad could be damaged. I really think that the service group and the design group need to have a conversation on this.

The question I have is could somebody somehow scan these castings and 3D print the replacement part? the whole component is $600 and I am sure that it could be printed for $60.

Just some thoughts.

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-06-04 102210.png
    Annotation 2020-06-04 102210.png
    273 KB · Views: 87
where did it break

Well I was loaded with all our gear as we were on a camping trip. We went down a gravel road on a boondoggle. As I was slowing for an intersection with another gravel road on a uphill trajectory there was some traffic. I abruptly cam to a halt to allow them to go. Well the hill, the load and the gravel contributed to my foot slipping and over we went. As my wife picked herself up she noticed the arm rest in her lap. The good thing was it broke and she did not. No Bruises or any pain from the impact. It broke right on the radius where the arm rotates.

I will try to attach a photo. I had some trouble so let me try in another page.

photo

I do like the idea of welding. I wonder if brazing would be better since it is aluminum. anyway here is a photo.

Attachments

• IMG_1038.jpg
    IMG_1038.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 77
Find a welding shop and have them TIG weld it. Should be under $100. Only way I would do it.

broken arm rests

I do like the idea of welding. I wonder if brazing would be better since it is aluminum. anyway here is a photo.
My armrest broke in the exact same way. My local welding shop aluminum welded it for $25 and I cleaned up the weld with a dremel tool and painted it to match. Good as new.

Broken arm rests

Mine broke in the same place. Must have put some side load on it when putting the bike on the center stand. Had a guy at work TIG weld it. He said it welded well. It is stronger now than new. Any shop that can weld aluminum should be able to help you. Good luck.

Back