• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Sena 50S

Don't feel bad, Mark. It doesn't work with my english either. LOL

I got a reply from Sena support, suggesting that I perform both a Factory Reset and a Fault Reset, with the device powered on, then re-establish my pairings (to my iPhone and GPS), then see if it's working.

EDIT: Sena has authorized a replacement of my 50S, as the Factory Reset and Fault Reset did not resolve the problems with the Sena Voice Command function.

Last edited:
Maybe a little late to this party, but I've found the trick with the voice commands is to say the complete command. Just saying "Hey Sena" or "Hey Google" does nothing, but saying "Hey Sena open mesh" or "Hey Google call home" does work just fine.

Maybe a little late to this party, but I've found the trick with the voice commands is to say the complete command. Just saying "Hey Sena" or "Hey Google" does nothing, but saying "Hey Sena open mesh" or "Hey Google call home" does work just fine.

I had been doing exactly that, but it did not work, with the exception of the battery check command (after performing SENA's recommended resets).

Last edited:
Sena 50S vs 30K w/ Mesh 2.0 Firmware Upgrade

Has anyone had a chance to compare the 50S to a 30K with the mesh 2.0 firmware upgrade? Trying to decide if we should take advantage of the trade in promotion that ends 6/30. The mesh 2.0 firmware is a big improvement for the 30K devices. 1) I can now run both mesh intercom and bluetooth music at the same time. 2) Maintains better a connection in a steep canyon where we lose line of sight. 3} So far the connection doesn't deteriorate to the point of having to reboot both headsets to restore intercom.

Last edited:
Just used my new 50s on a 1000 mile weekend ride.

The speakers are better hands down.

With my 20s/20sEVO I could no longer make out my music around 80mph. (Shoei RF1200 and foam ear plugs, riding 2017 R1200GS w/ a Vstream sport windshield.)

With the 50s, I am able to hear my music clearly at 100mph.

And the 50s Utility App is worth the price of admission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

voice commands

A friend of mine is returning his Sena 50S after a few weeks of trial. He was never able to get the voice commands to work. And then the microphone seemed to be malfunctioning -- switching to the alternate microphone hardware did not fix the problem. He wasn't impressed. Our riding group has used Sena's for 10+ years through several model changes. He is reverting his primary helmet to a Sena 20S Evo that he had in a spare helmet that he uses when we ride together in Colorado. We are switching to Cardo when we ride together.

A friend of mine is returning his Sena 50S after a few weeks of trial. He was never able to get the voice commands to work. And then the microphone seemed to be malfunctioning -- switching to the alternate microphone hardware did not fix the problem. He wasn't impressed. Our riding group has used Sena's for 10+ years through several model changes. He is reverting his primary helmet to a Sena 20S Evo that he had in a spare helmet that he uses when we ride together in Colorado. We are switching to Cardo when we ride together.
Just saying it's important to rule out wind noise and correct voice command phrasing before blaming the unit. Both mikes malfunctioned in regards to voice commands.

I've had all the Senas from the 5FM to the 50S except the 30K and I'm very happy with my new 50. In a riding group of 3 with two 50s and a 20S Bluetoothed to one 50 the voice audio is crystal clear and no problems dropping and reconnecting all parties either from stops or distancing too far apart on winding roads. Riding solo the voice commands through Siri seem to work OK so far ......... as far as Siri can decipher my phrasing. Just like using Siri when off the bike or out of the car a lot depends on how I pronounce and choose phrasing. The rapid charging and the Sena 50 app are nice upgrades from the 20S as is the increased audio level and tonal fidelity. I could not listen to voice podcasts and understand casual conversation levels above about 50 mph on either the Goldwing or RT but the 50 ups that to highway speeds for the most part. I didn't think I would upgrade from a 20S but after a month I'm glad I did.

I am a big fan of the 50s. I have had the 10, 20 and 30K. This is the best unit they have come out with.

They are out of stock at Sena, but still accepting orders before the trade in window ends on 6/30

I am a big fan of the 50s. I have had the 10, 20 and 30K. This is the best unit they have come out with.

They are out of stock at Sena, but still accepting orders before the trade in window ends on 6/30

Revzilla has some. I love the 50S. Much better speakers than the 30k and looks sleek, too. We installed them last night and have not had a chance to test yet for intercom.

I'm really curious about people who say the volume is great. I have a Shoei Neotec helmet and wear EarPeace ear protection. So presumably I should be able to hear fine. The music on my 50S is turned all the way up on the unit and on my iPhone Xs. I have never had problems with my 20S or 30K (with Audio Boost) hearing music, but the 50S is horrible. Communications with other riders is fine. The volume is suitable at all speeds. But music at highway speeds between 70 and 80 mph are too low to hear. Given that I put on most of my miles solo, and enjoy listening to music, the 50S is unsatisfactory for me. I'm on my 3rd week of tech support. They keep asking me to forgive their slow response because of Covid, but I'm not clear how customer support is being impacted by that. As far as I am aware, there have been no cases of transmission over the internet or phone. Today, the agent sent me a picture of the Sena 30K Utility app and told me to turn on Audio Boost. Um. What?

Anyway, if someone has found the silver bullet for this, I would be really appreciate hearing how you are able to listen to music at 80 mph on a GSA with the stock windscreen down. Because I can't.

I'm really curious about people who say the volume is great. I have a Shoei Neotec helmet and wear EarPeace ear protection. So presumably I should be able to hear fine. The music on my 50S is turned all the way up on the unit and on my iPhone Xs. I have never had problems with my 20S or 30K (with Audio Boost) hearing music, but the 50S is horrible. Communications with other riders is fine. The volume is suitable at all speeds. But music at highway speeds between 70 and 80 mph are too low to hear. Given that I put on most of my miles solo, and enjoy listening to music, the 50S is unsatisfactory for me. I'm on my 3rd week of tech support. They keep asking me to forgive their slow response because of Covid, but I'm not clear how customer support is being impacted by that. As far as I am aware, there have been no cases of transmission over the internet or phone. Today, the agent sent me a picture of the Sena 30K Utility app and told me to turn on Audio Boost. Um. What?

Anyway, if someone has found the silver bullet for this, I would be really appreciate hearing how you are able to listen to music at 80 mph on a GSA with the stock windscreen down. Because I can't.

Simple answer - Cardo Packtalk Bold, I wear a Klim Krios Pro Helmet, no Earplugs, not noisy enough to need earplugs, but when i put them in I can still hear my music at full volume at 80+mph and i am not using the JBL speakers which are louder yet.

Simple answer - Cardo Packtalk Bold, ...

+1

I was a long-time Sena user, and I switched to the Cardo Packtalk Bold with the 40mm JBL speakers. On my first ride with it, I was doing 90 mph on the interstate in Wyoming and listening to SiriusXM... and then I realized that I had learned to use the inaudible Sena system as a cue to my road speed.

Cap

I saw an add where you can retrofit older units with the speakers from the 50s

Yes, the connection is unchanged. An even easier route if you have an older Sena is to just buy some aftermarket helmet speaker and cut/solder them in place of the originals. I did that on my old 30k after blowing one of the original speakers and it was a huge improvement. The older units have the power to push better speakers easily.

Back