• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Which one R1250R vs R1250RS ?

I remember an article in Cycle World magazine several years ago, where Peter Egan said the BMW R100RS was a good fit for his bad back...

You've got a good memory; that was over 20 years ago. Egan was just hours into a trip on his Road King when his lower back seized up (he had just installed new handlebars for an upright seating position). He returned home, rested a night, and set out on his RS which afforded his back "a wonderful underslung concave slouch". He completed the 6,000 mile trip.

He even headed the column "Orthopedic Bike".

You've got a good memory; that was over 20 years ago. Egan was just hours into a trip on his Road King when his lower back seized up (he had just installed new handlebars for an upright seating position). He returned home, rested a night, and set out on his RS which afforded his back "a wonderful underslung concave slouch". He completed the 6,000 mile trip.

Was that the same article where he was laying on the ground outside of a McDonalds with his back out, asking passers by to please get his muscle relaxers from his saddlebags? That could be me, except I have no muscle relaxers.šŸ˜Ž

Was that the same article where he was laying on the ground outside of a McDonalds with his back out, asking passers by to please get his muscle relaxers from his saddlebags? That could be me, except I have no muscle relaxers.��

Yes, in Richland Center WI, but he did not mention involving passers by.

I've got a collection of columns and articles, by various writers, going way back. Orthopedic Bike is one of my favourites.

Good luck with your back.

My take

I read this thread with great interest. I currently have a 1986 R80 RT, with stock windshield, which is a little short for my 6ā€™2ā€ frame. Iā€™ve had a 2001 HD Electaglide which Iā€™ve ridden for 20 years and with a Tallboy saddle by HD and a backrest, it is dialed in for my neck and back which have degenerated discs. However, I would like a new bike that is smaller and lighter than my 800+ pound Harley, but can still allow me to tour two up with luggage and wind protection. I really like the new RT, but I want to go smaller. So the RS looks interesting, but if a bike leans me too far forward and I have to tip my head up to see, my arms go numb from the nerve in my neck getting pinched by the bad discs. If the bike sits me up right then my back is killing me in just a few miles. Unless i have a back rest. I think if i can get a bike that leans me forward just a little to relieve my back pressure, but not so much that it affects my neck, I can ride without a back rest. I guess I need to ride both bikes, and see what happens. At 68, Iā€™m not as flexible as when I was 28. šŸ˜Ž

I have owned my RS since 2015. I just turned 68. I have always preferred the sport riding position. Upright position aggrivated chronic back pain. Two years ago I started experiencing discomfort due to an arthritic hip. Got really bad this past season. The bike came with the highest seat, I installed the lowered footpegs and started wearing the padded shorts. The shorts made the most noticeable difference(!). Believe I will try the bar riser next, the one that just raises the bar up. Also will try the custom seat gel insert as I like the profile of the factory seat. Love the bike, hate to admit the body is aging. Actually enjoying the challenge of finding ways to modify to fit me.

Sitting on his RS, as the pain subsided, he also delivered what I thought was one of his funniest lines: "Maybe I should just sit here and have my meals delivered." That picture just cracked me up. Anyone who's ever suffered terrible back pain can relate, you'll do anything for relief.

Take a look at Cycle-ergo.com

To me, cycle-ergo.com is the decision maker. I'm all about comfort with a bit of sport. I don't get to ride that often, so I can never get used to being leaned over. Rode sport bikes in my youth and never found them comfortable.

The forward lean on the RS (17 degrees) vs the R (7 degrees) is way too much for me.

But, I have an RT, an XR and an FZ-09, so clearly I like an upright riding position.

I like to be tipped forward at least a little bit. My back HATES the cruiser seating position--my back can go into spasm within a few miles. The RT upright position is okay. The R100/R1100RS position is a bit further forward than I prefer, but barbacks help. The sport bike seating position is okay as far as my back is concerned, but it makes my arms and shoulders sore.

I like to be tipped forward at least a little bit. My back HATES the cruiser seating position--my back can go into spasm within a few miles. The RT upright position is okay. The R100/R1100RS position is a bit further forward than I prefer, but barbacks help. The sport bike seating position is okay as far as my back is concerned, but it makes my arms and shoulders sore.

Maybe Iā€™m shrinking or my body is adjusting, but Iā€™m finding sport riding positions more and more comfortable. Currently have a Ducati Panigale V2 and a 22ā€™ S1000R. Actually find the V2 more comfortable for an afternoons ride. Have done some weekend touring on the single R and find it surprisingly comfortable once I settle in but the lack of wind protection and luggage options as well as short top gearing is driving me towards a light touring rig again. I love the RT, but itā€™s mass and single focus wonā€™t get properly utilized by me, whereas the RS is still a great afternoon bike after shedding the bags.

I like the new R but there is not a screen made Iā€™ve seen the looks good on it, and if I wanted a Franken-bike Iā€™d get another GS where itā€™s part of the appeal. Another interesting bit on the R vs. RS discussion is the a similarly specā€™ed R is within $150 of an RS!. On the US site configurator the premium package for an R does not include ESA, center stand, or saddlebag mounts that are standard on th RS premium package.

Thinking of moving from 2016 R1200RT to a 1250R 0r 1250RS.
Don't ride long distance any more ( mostly 100 miles or less ) but do want to be able to ride a 250 - 350 mile day two up from time to time .
Not big people and closing on 70 but in good shape.

So which one and why,? to those who have made the purchase of a R1250 something.

Well I just did about 2500 mile round trip on a 2022 R1250R to and from the rally in Springfield, MO. It has an aftermarket windscreen and peg lowers. It worked great with no trouble.

Bill in Tucson

I've got both a 1250rt and a 1250R, I've ridden some friend's RS as well. Give what you've described as your intended riding I'd get the R, I've done several rides over 1,000 miles in a day on that bike and the ergonomics are plenty comfortable. I did add lowered pegs and a small windscreen to the bike which made a big difference. Good luck with your choice.

I've got both a 1250rt and a 1250R, I've ridden some friend's RS as well. Give what you've described as your intended riding I'd get the R, I've done several rides over 1,000 miles in a day on that bike and the ergonomics are plenty comfortable. I did add lowered pegs and a small windscreen to the bike which made a big difference. Good luck with your choice.

In the same boat as you, RT & R.

So, which screen do you have on the R? And up to what cruising speeds do you find it comfortable?

A thousand mile day assuming an arbitrary 16 hours actual riding time is an average of 62+, meaning there must be considerable time spent at much higher speeds for that average. Your screen choice is really relevant to me in my search for the ever-elusive air-management nirvana on the R. I REALLY enjoy my R, but if I can't find a screen I like, I won't be keeping it.

I rode an '18 R1200R for 3.5 years.
As much as I loved that bike, I found that on longer rides, I got beat up pretty good by the wind blast. I tried a number of screens, even no screen, but never really found a solution. I had ridden an RS rental in the EU a few years before, and found that it was a great long distance, or high-speed ride.

So after 3.5 years on that 1200R....I ordered a '22 R1250RS.

It's a tad heavier, both around the garage and on the road. However I quickly adjusted to the feel and am now much happier on the RS. Maybe it's my age, too. I have been riding since 1967, and my neck is pretty worn out from riding and life's little whiplash injuries.

BTW the Shift-Cam motor.....what a major leap forward from the 1200LC motor. It matches better with the quick shifter, too. All aound quality, fit and finish are top notch!

It's a keeper, dammit.
https://moto-rama.com/photos/bikes/2022BMW/RSCLIFFHOUSE.jpg

I rode an '18 R1200R for 3.5 years.
As much as I loved that bike, I found that on longer rides, I got beat up pretty good by the wind blast. I tried a number of screens, even no screen, but never really found a solution. I had ridden an RS rental in the EU a few years before, and found that it was a great long distance, or high-speed ride.

So after 3.5 years on that 1200R....I ordered a '22 R1250RS.

It's a tad heavier, both around the garage and on the road. However I quickly adjusted to the feel and am now much happier on the RS. Maybe it's my age, too. I have been riding since 1967, and my neck is pretty worn out from riding and life's little whiplash injuries.

BTW the Shift-Cam motor.....what a major leap forward from the 1200LC motor. It matches better with the quick shifter, too. All aound quality, fit and finish are top notch!

It's a keeper, dammit.
https://moto-rama.com/photos/bikes/2022BMW/RSCLIFFHOUSE.jpg

Beautiful bike. What is the windshield combo you are running there and how much better than stock? Looks like a Sargent as well how do you like?

Back