• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Which one R1250R vs R1250RS ?

Bought a 2020 R1250R had an RT

Thinking of moving from 2016 R1200RT to a 1250R 0r 1250RS.
Don't ride long distance any more ( mostly 100 miles or less ) but do want to be able to ride a 250 - 350 mile day two up from time to time .
Not big people and closing on 70 but in good shape.

So which one and why,? to those who have made the purchase of a R1250 something.

I turned 72 in May of this year, 5'7" 195 lbs. I bought a 2016 R1200RT in 2016 and put 52,000 miles on it and truly loved that bike. My long distance bike is a 2018 K1600 bagger and my Ohio bike is the 2020 R1250R. I wanted the R over the RS for the more upright seating and higher bars. On one of my long trips on the RT I spoke to a couple riding an RS (they were also far from home) and they seemed to be pretty uncomfortable, the low bars were taking their toll on him. Truthfully either of these bikes will be fine for 100 miles or so IMHO. Sunday I rode 280 miles on some very twisty roads in southern Ohio and felt fine after the day but I always ride solo. I have equipped the R with small tank bag and tail bag, barkbusters and a small sport windscreen. I really like the feeling of that shiftcam engine coupled with a medium weight bike, almost a Ducati 1200 Monster experience with a shaft. I broke my back in a car wreck when I was 18 so low bars won't do for me at all. YMMV. The R is a great bike, I'm sure if the more extreme crouch won't bother you than the RS offers better wind protection maybe somewhat. 100 mile rides less so than 300 milers. A really good and quiet helmet can make a big difference too.
You will like that extra torque and less weight. Enjoy

So which one and why,?

I've read in ADVrider that the R turns in a little quicker than the RS, I think due to the shorter wheelbase.

But I think the main factor for you would be whether you could adjust to the different seating position on the RS, coming off an RT.

I initially was looking at the R, but ended up buying an RS.

I plan on buying something a little wilder in the near future, I'm thinking either a super duke or an S1000RR.

If this was going to be my practical/longer distance bike, the RS seemed to be the better option with the better wind protection. I plan on commuting on it once I can get to the bay area, and my office opens up again, so I may need to ride in less than perfect weather.

That said, my last bike was a naked bike. Once you learn to lean into the wind and let it support you, the lack of wind protection isn't that bad. In warm weather, having more airflow is pretty nice.

I'm not in the market nor do I plan to be anytime soon, but if I was I'd be writing a check for an RS. I just LOVE the look of that bike. That and it's about 70 lbs lighter than my Camhead which is another big plus as I'm not getting any younger. I don't think it'll be near as good for very long trips but having a sportier ride might mesh better with me later on in life. Well, that or Gold WIng depending on how my retirement savings makes it through these times.

Thinking of moving from 2016 R1200RT to a 1250R 0r 1250RS.
Don't ride long distance any more ( mostly 100 miles or less ) but do want to be able to ride a 250 - 350 mile day two up from time to time .
Not big people and closing on 70 but in good shape.

So which one and why,? to those who have made the purchase of a R1250 something.

You may get lots of different opinions from this question, and none would be out of line. I would strongly suggest getting the model that fits the best. For example I ride in all weather and all year so protection in bad weather is important to me. I also travel at high speeds typically 80 mph indicated on our 75mph highways. I also like the carrying capacity of a bike with bags as a motorcycle is my primary transportation and being able to go to the store and pick up groceries etc is one of the many things that I will do on a bike. Toss in the fact that I wear a 3x jacket and I am bigger than the average person, so what fits me the best might not work well for you.

I have found sport bikes very comfortable, for example, and absolutely hate the riding position of cruiser type bikes, I put 26,000 miles on one of those and traded it with in 6 months. The next 2 bikes were gold wings which were better, logged 186,000 and 245,000 miles respectively. Wanted more performance, better fuel economy, longer range between fill ups. I chose an RT it is also a bit over 200 lbs lighter and is really easy to toss around in corners. That bike fits me rather well but if it was a bit longer between the end of the tank and the trunk I would call it perfect, as is I am adapting.:bikes

Funny thing, someone posted a link to a review of the RS by Adam Warheed and he stated he would buy the RT before the RS. Now for the purpose he mentioned the RT was a better fit. Another place you might want to check is this guys videos from YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpjfz9KUpnc&t=518s

The guys channel is TheMissendenFlyer

Hope that is helpful.

Last edited:
Go with the RS

I have a 2016 R1200RS. I have not ridden an R1200R. I chose the RS because I like the wind protection the fairing provides, and I don’t like the looks of aftermarket windshields tacked on to naked bikes.

I have about 7k mi on the RS. Have added bar raisers, 1” up and 1” back. Makes a big difference on my 60+ year old back and neck. Tip in on the RS is a little slow but after you get used to it, it is no longer noticeable.

I am partial to the BMW RS, and S bikes, having owned a K75S, K1100RS, R1100RS, R1200S and now the R1200RS. A couple of R1200GS’s too.

My RS is used for short rides (150mi or less) in and around Tucson AZ. Great fun to blast up Mt Lemon.

Lee that RS is a beautiful bike. Are those bags from BMW or after market?

Not my bike but yes they are available from BMW.
Lids are now available in matte grey, gloss black, gloss red and gloss white.

Coming off a 2016 R1200GS I test rode both the R and RS. I loved the looks of the RS and was leaning toward the bike but the test ride was brutal on my wrists. I'm a cyclist and can sit on a bicycle for 5 hours without issue so its not like I'm not flexible. While I know bar risers may help, was not willing to drop $20k and hope it worked out.

Took out the R a few days later and the wider bars and seating position were great. Thus, ended up with a 2020 R1250R Pollux. Picking it up tomorrow.

Best suggestion I can give is take each one out for a thorough test ride.

Coming off a 2016 R1200GS I test rode both the R and RS. I loved the looks of the RS and was leaning toward the bike but the test ride was brutal on my wrists. I'm a cyclist and can sit on a bicycle for 5 hours without issue so its not like I'm not flexible. While I know bar risers may help, was not willing to drop $20k and hope it worked out.

Took out the R a few days later and the wider bars and seating position were great. Thus, ended up with a 2020 R1250R Pollux. Picking it up tomorrow.

Was there any other reasons why you preferred th R over the RS ?
Mike

Hopefully, the salesman explained the "standard" R seat is 30mm (1.2") lower than the RS seat. But, they're interchangeable and are/were offered as a no-cost option.

Coming from a GS, I understand why the wider R bars are more comfortable.

You may get lots of different opinions from this question, and none would be out of line. I would strongly suggest getting the model that fits the best ... what fits me the best might not work well for you ...

I agree with this. Seems obvious to me to buy the bike that fits, and not buy a bike that requires mods so that it fits you. If you have to mess with the windshield, bars, seat, pegs, etc., then it likely does NOT fit you. Keep shopping.

Recent 1250 R Owner

After much deliberation, I bought a 2020 1250R. I have 600 miles on it and am working hard not to panic. I've owned an RT and FJR and was spoiled by the very quiet cockpit and how enjoyable the ride was. Listening to music on a long ride was truly enjoyable. I recently turned 65 and decided I was not ready to hang up the helmet. I rode the RS and R and felt like the R fit me better. I wanted a lighter and more nimble bike. Truthfully, while the RS is essentially the same bike as the R but with the fairing, it seemed larger to me which I know was an illusion.

As of today, I can't say I've had an enjoyable ride yet.....due to insane pounding wind noise. I installed a Cal Sci tall screen upon purchase attached to a flimsy BMW bracket designed for a sport screen. At 75 mph, the Cal Sci screen is dancing and wobbling all over the place creating very turbulent air pounding my Aria helmet. Even with ear plugs, the noise is fatiguing and would most likely cause me to lose some hearing over the years ahead. My line of sight over the top edge is 2-3 inches.

I've ordered today, a Z Tech Sport and Touring screen and......a MRA Touring Spoiler. I'm committed to trying everything possible to make this bike work for me. I love the bike, it's indeed an engineering marvel and I like the handling too. Unless I can tame the noise, I may trade it for the RS. The new RT's are too big for me. I'm 5'8", 195 lbs and have a 28'inseam so being able to connect with the ground is important to me.

Perhaps I miss judged the bike on a short test run of maybe 5 miles and only up to 50 mph? I almost booked a room in Great Falls for next June last night but paused....and recognized the trip from KC to Great Falls might be out of my physical reach! I hope I'm wrong! As of now, I would have bought the RS.

My tests ahead will be posted here!

I just prefer bikes with fairings, I don't tend to like fully naked bikes.

And I'm just the opposite. I prefer naked bikes over faired. My 2016 came with a V-Stream Tour, and I ripped it right off. I wouldn't mind trying the Sport (smallest) V-Stream.

I get warm easily, and it's easier to dress warmer than it is to get cooler. If it'll be REAL cold, I have a heated vest. But where I am I need more airflow.

After much deliberation, I bought a 2020 1250R. I have 600 miles on it and am working hard not to panic. I've owned an RT and FJR and was spoiled by the very quiet cockpit and how enjoyable the ride was. Listening to music on a long ride was truly enjoyable. I recently turned 65 and decided I was not ready to hang up the helmet. I rode the RS and R and felt like the R fit me better. I wanted a lighter and more nimble bike. Truthfully, while the RS is essentially the same bike as the R but with the fairing, it seemed larger to me which I know was an illusion.

As of today, I can't say I've had an enjoyable ride yet.....due to insane pounding wind noise. I installed a Cal Sci tall screen upon purchase attached to a flimsy BMW bracket designed for a sport screen. At 75 mph, the Cal Sci screen is dancing and wobbling all over the place creating very turbulent air pounding my Aria helmet. Even with ear plugs, the noise is fatiguing and would most likely cause me to lose some hearing over the years ahead. My line of sight over the top edge is 2-3 inches.

I've ordered today, a Z Tech Sport and Touring screen and......a MRA Touring Spoiler. I'm committed to trying everything possible to make this bike work for me. I love the bike, it's indeed an engineering marvel and I like the handling too. Unless I can tame the noise, I may trade it for the RS. The new RT's are too big for me. I'm 5'8", 195 lbs and have a 28'inseam so being able to connect with the ground is important to me.

Perhaps I miss judged the bike on a short test run of maybe 5 miles and only up to 50 mph? I almost booked a room in Great Falls for next June last night but paused....and recognized the trip from KC to Great Falls might be out of my physical reach! I hope I'm wrong! As of now, I would have bought the RS.

My tests ahead will be posted here!

Go for a ride without a shield. It might be quieter.

Back