Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Which one R1250R vs R1250RS ?

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard52 View Post
    I remember an article in Cycle World magazine several years ago, where Peter Egan said the BMW R100RS was a good fit for his bad back...
    You've got a good memory; that was over 20 years ago. Egan was just hours into a trip on his Road King when his lower back seized up (he had just installed new handlebars for an upright seating position). He returned home, rested a night, and set out on his RS which afforded his back "a wonderful underslung concave slouch". He completed the 6,000 mile trip.

He even headed the column "Orthopedic Bike".
    Rinty

Quote Originally Posted by Rinty View Post
    You've got a good memory; that was over 20 years ago. Egan was just hours into a trip on his Road King when his lower back seized up (he had just installed new handlebars for an upright seating position). He returned home, rested a night, and set out on his RS which afforded his back "a wonderful underslung concave slouch". He completed the 6,000 mile trip.

Was that the same article where he was laying on the ground outside of a McDonalds with his back out, asking passers by to please get his muscle relaxers from his saddlebags? That could be me, except I have no muscle relaxers.😎

Was that the same article where he was laying on the ground outside of a McDonalds with his back out, asking passers by to please get his muscle relaxers from his saddlebags? That could be me, except I have no muscle relaxers.��
    Yes, in Richland Center WI, but he did not mention involving passers by.

I've got a collection of columns and articles, by various writers, going way back. Orthopedic Bike is one of my favourites.

Good luck with your back.
    Rinty

My take

I read this thread with great interest. I currently have a 1986 R80 RT, with stock windshield, which is a little short for my 6í2Ē frame. Iíve had a 2001 HD Electaglide which Iíve ridden for 20 years and with a Tallboy saddle by HD and a backrest, it is dialed in for my neck and back which have degenerated discs. However, I would like a new bike that is smaller and lighter than my 800+ pound Harley, but can still allow me to tour two up with luggage and wind protection. I really like the new RT, but I want to go smaller. So the RS looks interesting, but if a bike leans me too far forward and I have to tip my head up to see, my arms go numb from the nerve in my neck getting pinched by the bad discs. If the bike sits me up right then my back is killing me in just a few miles. Unless i have a back rest. I think if i can get a bike that leans me forward just a little to relieve my back pressure, but not so much that it affects my neck, I can ride without a back rest. I guess I need to ride both bikes, and see what happens. At 68, Iím not as flexible as when I was 28. 😎
    I have owned my RS since 2015. I just turned 68. I have always preferred the sport riding position. Upright position aggrivated chronic back pain. Two years ago I started experiencing discomfort due to an arthritic hip. Got really bad this past season. The bike came with the highest seat, I installed the lowered footpegs and started wearing the padded shorts. The shorts made the most noticeable difference(!). Believe I will try the bar riser next, the one that just raises the bar up. Also will try the custom seat gel insert as I like the profile of the factory seat. Love the bike, hate to admit the body is aging. Actually enjoying the challenge of finding ways to modify to fit me.

Fr8dogjoe
    I prefer the RS as it is a shaft drive. Less mess and maintenance than a chain drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Rinty View Post

Sitting on his RS, as the pain subsided, he also delivered what I thought was one of his funniest lines: "Maybe I should just sit here and have my meals delivered." That picture just cracked me up. Anyone who's ever suffered terrible back pain can relate, you'll do anything for relief.

Take a look at Cycle-ergo.com

To me, cycle-ergo.com is the decision maker. I'm all about comfort with a bit of sport. I don't get to ride that often, so I can never get used to being leaned over. Rode sport bikes in my youth and never found them comfortable.

The forward lean on the RS (17 degrees) vs the R (7 degrees) is way too much for me.

But, I have an RT, an XR and an FZ-09, so clearly I like an upright riding position.
    2018 BMW S1000XR / 2018 BMW R1200RT / 2015 Yamaha FZ-09

Search all motorcycle forums at one time - www.MotorcycleForumSearch.com

+1 on cycle ergo, spent much time "riding" on that site this year.

I like to be tipped forward at least a little bit. My back HATES the cruiser seating position--my back can go into spasm within a few miles. The RT upright position is okay. The R100/R1100RS position is a bit further forward than I prefer, but barbacks help. The sport bike seating position is okay as far as my back is concerned, but it makes my arms and shoulders sore.
    Current bikes: '07 F650GS, '98 K1200RS, '74 R90/6
    Previous bikes: '06 F650GS (totaled, RIP), '94 R1100RS (sold)