• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Which one R1250R vs R1250RS ?

Perhaps I miss judged the bike on a short test run of maybe 5 miles...

I didn't get the same impression at all from two wetheads I demo'd than what I got from my R1200RS, after I spent some time on it. And there's a big difference in wind blast from the windshield in the lower and upper positions (I'm 6'1").

The R is quite different from both the RT and FJR, so here's hoping you get used to it.

Hopefully, the salesman explained the "standard" R seat is 30mm (1.2") lower than the RS seat. But, they're interchangeable and are/were offered as a no-cost option.

Coming from a GS, I understand why the wider R bars are more comfortable.

I was the salesman- I worked at the BMW dealership for a year. LOL

Was there any other reasons why you preferred th R over the RS ?
Mike

Only other major reason was that I own a HD Road King Special that I use for touring so I don't envision taking anything more than a short weekend trip on the R. Both the R and RS share the same bags which hold next to nothing.

The guy I tour with rides a Ducati 998 with a tiny tail pack on it. He does just fine, and has suggested I go minimalist too. :)

Voni and I have toured during the summers for many years. We have toured for the past two summers, with camping gear, on G310GS bikes with little 23 liter side cases. I also have a small Pelican case for a topcase that mainly houses a laptop computer and a few odds and ends. The camping gear goes in bags across the passenger seats. She has the tent on the rack where I have the little topcase. We both have tank bags. These are generally two to three month trips.

Stuff is over rated when traveling.

But when you ride two up ,everything is half size .....we have done many trips over the years two up on either an RT or GS
Now if we each had a bike there would be lots of room but that is not going to happen .

Ride Report - Helmet Buffett - Windshield Noise

I wrote earlier about my recent June purchase of 2020 R1250R and my panic attack I bought the wrong bike. I trashed the Cal Sci tall screen that was mounted to a BMW mount designed for a small sport screen. The screen wobbled significantly which was annoying if not potentially dangerous. Even the GIVI spoiler I tried on it was of no value in reducing helmet buffet. I wear an Arai Signet. I bought Z Tech's Touring and Sport screen and have now put roughly 300 miles on each.

Touring Screen - some helmet buffet still occurs but with foam earplugs seated correctly, I can ride comfortably. I rode west on highway 36 in the northern part of KS and had some serious 35 mph cross winds. Still acceptable even at 85 MPH.

Sport Screen - Cleaner air and outside of some normal wind rush, no buffet and quieter helmet overall. Some lower back of neck discomfort from helmet strain into the wind but still not too bad. I'm sure the more I ride, the stronger my weak neck muscles will become. KS bug splatter on visor was pretty bad and required clean off at gas stops.

The R1250R machine continues to impress me. I can hardly hear the engine and the ride is so smooth and stable. BMW has certrainly refined the BOXER design to a level where I don't see where much if any improvement can be made.

My panic is gone, I love this bike and while not a RT as for protection and very quiet cockpit, I can and will take some tours on it. Maybe even Great Falls next June.

Thanks to all of you for your wisdom and tips. They were certainly valuable to me!

Doug in Land of Oz

Thinking of moving from 2016 R1200RT to a 1250R 0r 1250RS.
Don't ride long distance any more ( mostly 100 miles or less ) but do want to be able to ride a 250 - 350 mile day two up from time to time .
Not big people and closing on 70 but in good shape.

So which one and why,? to those who have made the purchase of a R1250 something.

Well I too had an RT (2011) Great bike! I am in my early 60's 6' 0" both knees replaced in 2019. I have 2020 R1250RS and couldn't be happier! It is lighter, lower and just a completely different ride. I have BMW hard cases on it but don't intend to ride over 400 miles a day. The wind protection is good but not and RT. I have ridden both. The R is more upright riding position than the RS but the RS is not uncomfortable (the RS helps soften the spine compression when you didn't expect it. I think the RS geared a little taller too.

Tough choice.

I read this thread with great interest. I currently have a 1986 R80 RT, with stock windshield, which is a little short for my 6’2” frame. I’ve had a 2001 HD Electaglide which I’ve ridden for 20 years and with a Tallboy saddle by HD and a backrest, it is dialed in for my neck and back which have degenerated discs. However, I would like a new bike that is smaller and lighter than my 800+ pound Harley, but can still allow me to tour two up with luggage and wind protection. I really like the new RT, but I want to go smaller. So the RS looks interesting, but if a bike leans me too far forward and I have to tip my head up to see, my arms go numb from the nerve in my neck getting pinched by the bad discs. If the bike sits me up right then my back is killing me in just a few miles. Unless i have a back rest. I think if i can get a bike that leans me forward just a little to relieve my back pressure, but not so much that it affects my neck, I can ride without a back rest. I guess I need to ride both bikes, and see what happens. At 68, I’m not as flexible as when I was 28. 😎

I read this thread with great interest. I currently have a 1986 R80 RT, with stock windshield, which is a little short for my 6’2” frame. I’ve had a 2001 HD Electaglide which I’ve ridden for 20 years and with a Tallboy saddle by HD and a backrest, it is dialed in for my neck and back which have degenerated discs. However, I would like a new bike that is smaller and lighter than my 800+ pound Harley, but can still allow me to tour two up with luggage and wind protection. I really like the new RT, but I want to go smaller. So the RS looks interesting, but if a bike leans me too far forward and I have to tip my head up to see, my arms go numb from the nerve in my neck getting pinched by the bad discs. If the bike sits me up right then my back is killing me in just a few miles. Unless i have a back rest. I think if i can get a bike that leans me forward just a little to relieve my back pressure, but not so much that it affects my neck, I can ride without a back rest. I guess I need to ride both bikes, and see what happens. At 68, I’m not as flexible as when I was 28. ��

While I love my RS, I'm nor sure the RS if for you.

I complete understand the need for a lighter bike as we age.

Sound like the lower and narrower stock bars will lean you too far forward for your back. You can get bar risers and bar backs but not sure enough. The RS will fold your legs and knees more than your 80RT, likely even with peg lowering kits. The only way to know is to ride one.

Another thought FWIW, You seem to be dialed in for a cruiser ride/seating profile, why not look at some of the smaller Japanese cruisers which would give you that profile while reducing weight.

While I love my RS, I'm nor sure the RS if for you.

I complete understand the need for a lighter bike as we age.

Sound like the lower and narrower stock bars will lean you too far forward for your back. You can get bar risers and bar backs but not sure enough. The RS will fold your legs and knees more than your 80RT, likely even with peg lowering kits. The only way to know is to ride one.

Another thought FWIW, You seem to be dialed in for a cruiser ride/seating profile, why not look at some of the smaller Japanese cruisers which would give you that profile while reducing weight.

Thanks for the feedback on the RS. I remember an article in Cycle World magazine several years ago, where Peter Egan said the BMW R100RS was a good fit for his bad back. Apparently Egan has no neck problems. I’m going to Sturgis S.D. this week and I plan to check out what they have in stock at the BMW dealer. I have my heart set on a new Beemer.😎

I’ve never rode either bike. For me it don’t matter; I could ride either bike and like it; a lot. That said, I’d probably pick the standard R.

Thanks for the feedback on the RS. I remember an article in Cycle World magazine several years ago, where Peter Egan said the BMW R100RS was a good fit for his bad back. Apparently Egan has no neck problems. I’m going to Sturgis S.D. this week and I plan to check out what they have in stock at the BMW dealer. I have my heart set on a new Beemer.😎

Relative to the ergonomics, the only real difference is the handlebars. And, R handlebars can be mounted on the RS. Seats, pegs and frames are the same.

Thanks for the feedback on the RS. I remember an article in Cycle World magazine several years ago, where Peter Egan said the BMW R100RS was a good fit for his bad back. Apparently Egan has no neck problems. I’m going to Sturgis S.D. this week and I plan to check out what they have in stock at the BMW dealer. I have my heart set on a new Beemer.��

I hope you find a Beemer that fits you.

Over the years I've had many bikes, of almost all forms, but in the end I've found the RS the best compromise of small fairing for weather and fatigue protection, a great engine with super torque and more than adipate HP and an outstanding suspension and handling. Yes I have peg lowering for my aging knees and bar riser to move some of the weight off my wrists and back to my butt.

I've continue to look for something better. Still have not found a better bike for me.

Maybe if KTM took their new 890 engine, detuned it just a bit for torque vs HP (no quite so peaky, race ready) and put in a street chassie and suspension ....sort of the 890GT like the 1290 GT...i would have to give that a serious look.

This would likely give another 50-70 lbs of weigh reduction

Unless you only want a boxer engine and I have had both, looking at the F series.
F 800ST, F800GT and the F900XR. Test ride all of them before you decide is all I am saying.

Back