• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rough Idle, poor idle

stevenrankin

Hey all, just a note regarding a popular topic on the forum; rough or poor idle.

My 84 R80RT recently started running rough and even. stalling at traffic lights and such.

Put it on the bench, pulled the valve covers off and lo and behold, the exhaust valves were tight. Set them back to specification and idle is back to normal.

So, a reminder; before messing with carburetors, do the airhead tune up mantra.

Adjust valves first.

Spark plugs, and points if you have them, inspect, clean and adjust. Make sure timing is right, point gap and condition effects timing so points first. For those of us with electronic ignition, timing for the most part won't change unless something drastic has happened.

Finally adjust the carburetors. Be sure, there is slack in the cables to allow the carbs to be in idle. Carbs mixture doesn't change very much but, cables do stretch, and needles do wear out.

So final point, poor idle is not always the carbs. Cheery bye, St.

Hey all, just a note regarding a popular topic on the forum; rough or poor idle.

My 84 R80RT recently started running rough and even. stalling at traffic lights and such.

Put it on the bench, pulled the valve covers off and lo and behold, the exhaust valves were tight. Set them back to specification and idle is back to normal.

So, a reminder; before messing with carburetors, do the airhead tune up mantra.

Adjust valves first.

Spark plugs, and points if you have them, inspect, clean and adjust. Make sure timing is right, point gap and condition effects timing so points first. For those of us with electronic ignition, timing for the most part won't change unless something drastic has happened.

Finally adjust the carburetors. Be sure, there is slack in the cables to allow the carbs to be in idle. Carbs mixture doesn't change very much but, cables do stretch, and needles do wear out.

So final point, poor idle is not always the carbs. Cheery bye, St.

If the exhaust valves are tending to close up, then I suggest you keep an eye on this, lest you end up with $$$ problems. The 1984 was the last year of the valve seat problems.....the R80RT does not tend to have the problems nearly as much as the R100RT....are your valve seats the originals?
http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/valves.htm

Snowbum

One set done awhile ago

Oh yeah, I was bit by the valve recession bug back in the early 90's. This is more of a normal service interval thing.

Just trying to get the word out on what to look for if you have rough idle and where to start.

I defer to Snowbum as the known expert, does my advice make sense? St.

Makes sense to me, Steven. :thumb Even before I finished the first couple of sentences, the words "valve clearances" was going off in my head! Always first thing to check for rough idle but bike seems to be OK at speed.

Back