• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1100RT Hall Effect Sensor replacement?

pistol_pete

I've had a '99 1100RT for a few years now. 34K Miles, so very low miles. Runs great and absolutely zero issues with it. But, it has the original HES which worries me as I'm aware of the potential failures that can leave one stranded. I've ridden for hours in torrential downpours with no issues and

That said, I'm planning on buying a new one and swapping it out - simply for piece of mind. I've found some replacements on Beemer Boneyard. One's Bosch-made and the other is not. I'll likely order the Bosch, but I like how the other one details that it has high-temp silicone wiring - and I know hight temps and the wiring is one of the problems with the original HES possible failure.

https://www.beemerboneyard.com/12112306137edl.html

https://www.beemerboneyard.com/12112306137n.html

Am I overthinking this? Any recos or experiences with either are appreciated. Thank you!

My 96 1100rt ran fine. But after reading many post about the Hall Sensor failures, I took mine out. The wire coating was just completely falling off. I was lucky. I sent mine to GSaddict and he did a great job of rebuilding it. Buying a new one is, I would say, pointless, as he can fix the old one to like new condition for a very reasonable price.

A few summers ago my year 2000 R1100RT began to occasionally feel like it was missing a beat.- barely discernible, could have been mistaken for 'the surge'. The bike had a bit over 80K miles on it at that time.

Thinking it might in fact be an impending dreaded HES failure I purchased replacement wiring with high temp insulation. When the wiring arrived I parked the package on a shelf in the garage.

The replacement wiring was still sitting on the shelf when halfway between Michigan and North Carolina, motoring through a light rain down a back road in Kentucky the engine stopped - dead as a door nail.

When I got the bike home and pulled the HES the cooked wiring insulation looked like every picture of a failed R1100 HES that I'd seen on this forum.

You are NOT overthinking it.

Back