Thread: Handy tool tip for looking in tight spots - Harbor Freight Digital Inspection Camera

Lightbulb Handy tool tip for looking in tight spots - Harbor Freight Digital Inspection Camera

I'm sure I'm not the only person to use this on our bikes, but I figured I'd share. I was trying to figure out if my 2013 RT had the infamous leaky left side cam chain tensioner problem but couldn't get a good view. I loosened up the throttle body but it was still tough to see. Then I remembered I bought a Harbor Freight "Digital Inspection Camera" a few years ago for some other work I was doing, and got it out for this task. Wow - it was pretty handy! They go for about $170 but you can add your coupons and get it for less.

https://www.harborfreight.com/high-r...der-61838.html

Here's an unedited video I saved off it looking around the tensioner bolt. You can see live on the screen while searching around with the the bendy part as well.

John on a 2013 R1200RT in North East Ohio #220908

I haven't bought one, but I hear this is a good deal if you have a smart phone.
    Amazon Endoscope-Waterproof-Inspection-Semi-Rigid
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    I haven't bought one, but I hear this is a good deal if you have a smart phone.
    Amazon Endoscope-Waterproof-Inspection-Semi-Rigid
    I like the price, but the comments about phishing software bothers me.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

There are others on Amazon in the same price range or a couple bucks more without the software warnings.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

I skipped the software and just store video to a my own microsd card plugged right into camera. Then pull the SD card and read it on the laptop. Iíve found pretty much all the software that comes with especially cheaper Chinese electronic is at least garbage if not malicious, so I rarely even look at it.
    John on a 2013 R1200RT in North East Ohio #220908

Quote Originally Posted by hamboyjohn View Post
    I skipped the software and just store video to a my own microsd card plugged right into camera. Then pull the SD card and read it on the laptop. Iíve found pretty much all the software that comes with especially cheaper Chinese electronic is at least garbage if not malicious, so I rarely even look at it.
    Which endoscope unit are you using?
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

There have been numerous times when I couldn't see something on my bike (or anywhere else where vision is blocked), I was able to slide my phone camera in there and take a picture. This also works well for small writing (i.e. some serial numbers) that you can then increase the size of the picture on your phone and read the numbers.
    Larry Gregerson; Bend, OR
    MOA #93031

Quote Originally Posted by powwow View Post
    There have been numerous times when I couldn't see something on my bike (or anywhere else where vision is blocked), I was able to slide my phone camera in there and take a picture. This also works well for small writing (i.e. some serial numbers) that you can then increase the size of the picture on your phone and read the numbers.
    I do regret laughing at old people when they made comments like this.....

Karma sucks

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    I do regret laughing at old people when they made comments like this.....

Karma sucks
    Ha! At 65, I actually still read without glasses.
    Larry Gregerson; Bend, OR
    MOA #93031

So can I if the letters are big enough.

Doug
    Sent from a Galaxy, far, far away

Close up, I always look over the lenses............

Soon to be 69 with 20/20 uncorrected vision, and I can read without cheaters. I do wear them for doing fine work in the shop or reading for a long period. My doc still prescribed glasses and when I asked him why he said without them I am a weak 20/20 and with them a crisp 20/20. I wear them when riding.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Soon to be 69 with 20/20 uncorrected vision, and I can read without cheaters. I do wear them for doing fine work in the shop or reading for a long period. My doc still prescribed glasses and when I asked him why he said without them I am a weak 20/20 and with them a crisp 20/20. I wear them when riding.
    It is almost always better to be crisp than weak.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    See your mother was right when she told you to "Stop that or you'll go blind" some 56 years ago.
    Aren't you glad you listened?
    The only dumb question is the unasked question - Anonymous

Eat every Ham Sandwich like it is your last Ham Sandwich! - Anonymous