• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Handy tool tip for looking in tight spots - Harbor Freight Digital Inspection Camera

hamboyjohn

I'm sure I'm not the only person to use this on our bikes, but I figured I'd share. I was trying to figure out if my 2013 RT had the infamous leaky left side cam chain tensioner problem but couldn't get a good view. I loosened up the throttle body but it was still tough to see. Then I remembered I bought a Harbor Freight "Digital Inspection Camera" a few years ago for some other work I was doing, and got it out for this task. Wow - it was pretty handy! They go for about $170 but you can add your coupons and get it for less.

https://www.harborfreight.com/high-resolution-digital-inspection-camera-with-recorder-61838.html

Here's an unedited video I saved off it looking around the tensioner bolt. You can see live on the screen while searching around with the the bendy part as well.

There are others on Amazon in the same price range or a couple bucks more without the software warnings.

I skipped the software and just store video to a my own microsd card plugged right into camera. Then pull the SD card and read it on the laptop. I’ve found pretty much all the software that comes with especially cheaper Chinese electronic is at least garbage if not malicious, so I rarely even look at it.

I skipped the software and just store video to a my own microsd card plugged right into camera. Then pull the SD card and read it on the laptop. I’ve found pretty much all the software that comes with especially cheaper Chinese electronic is at least garbage if not malicious, so I rarely even look at it.

Which endoscope unit are you using?

There have been numerous times when I couldn't see something on my bike (or anywhere else where vision is blocked), I was able to slide my phone camera in there and take a picture. This also works well for small writing (i.e. some serial numbers) that you can then increase the size of the picture on your phone and read the numbers.

There have been numerous times when I couldn't see something on my bike (or anywhere else where vision is blocked), I was able to slide my phone camera in there and take a picture. This also works well for small writing (i.e. some serial numbers) that you can then increase the size of the picture on your phone and read the numbers.

I do regret laughing at old people when they made comments like this.....

Karma sucks

Soon to be 69 with 20/20 uncorrected vision, and I can read without cheaters. I do wear them for doing fine work in the shop or reading for a long period. My doc still prescribed glasses and when I asked him why he said without them I am a weak 20/20 and with them a crisp 20/20. I wear them when riding.

Soon to be 69 with 20/20 uncorrected vision, and I can read without cheaters. I do wear them for doing fine work in the shop or reading for a long period. My doc still prescribed glasses and when I asked him why he said without them I am a weak 20/20 and with them a crisp 20/20. I wear them when riding.

It is almost always better to be crisp than weak.:wave

See your mother was right when she told you to "Stop that or you'll go blind" some 56 years ago.
Aren't you glad you listened?

Back