Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Extra tools to carry on G 310GS

Extra tools to carry on G 310GS

Hello all,
    Am interested in knowing what extra tools do you carry with you on your G 310 R or GS when your out traveling with it for 3-5 days besides the tools that come with the bike.
    Maybe a good question for either Paul or Voni since they put ALOT of miles on their 310 GS's.
    Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions.

Anybody ?

Quote Originally Posted by iomtt View Post
    Anybody ?
    I am the wrong person to ask maybe because I carry too much stuff. But, a good set of ball end allen wrenches is a must. A set of 3/8 drive sockets, a short extension and a small ratchet. A few stubby combination wrenches. An electrical 12 volt test light. Small needle nose vice grips. I haul a lot more than that but that is a good start. Make sure you have enough to remove either wheel to have it hauled to town for a tire repair if necessary.

The photo below is my summer touring tool kit. It goes no matter which bikes we are taking for the summer. It works on other people's bikes too when I encounter a rider with a problem on the road or in a campground or motel parking lot. It is overkill, but look it over and pick out what might seem useful to you.

ADDED: This does not include a 12vpump, tire plugging kit, Lithium Ion battery jumpstart pack and a few other items including 1 liter of spare fuel.

The ace in the hole: Allstate RV Roadside Assistance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PGlaves; 06-03-2020 at 12:04 AM.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Anybody ?

No bike specific info, but I am a cell phone and credit card type of guy. I do carry a tire plugger and compressor, but wonder why I bother. For the record I put on 10.000+ miles a year. In 15 years and about 200,000 miles of riding I have yet to use the tire plugger on the road, and nothing else in the tool kit that I used to carry. I broke down on a trip once and it was to far gone to deal with it on the road. Left the bike at a safe place, rented a car to get home and went back and picked it up the next weekend.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

Thanks guys for the feedback,much appreciated !
    That looks to be quite the assortment of tools Paul, but it will give me some good ideas.

PoorUB - I too have a tire plugger kit and pump and really hope I never ever have to use it !!

Thanks again to you both.

Thanks guys for the feedback,much appreciated !
    That looks to be quite the assortment of tools Paul, but it will give me some good ideas.

PoorUB - I too have a tire plugger kit and pump and really hope I never ever have to use it !!

Thanks again to you both.
    Pick what you see as valuable to you. Please note the stubby wrenches. A wide range of sizes, 19mm on down don't take a lot of room. Also the wire stripper. And a few other universal useful tools.
    Last edited by PGlaves; 06-03-2020 at 07:07 PM.
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

I have 3 different sets of tools for different bikes, I've only had my R1100S since August and have not done any big trips on it yet. It has some tools under the seat. If I do go for a long run I will be adding wrenches etc to this tool kit.
    IMG_3041_heic-XL.jpg

I just bought an original replacement tool set for my R65LS, it's pretty complete for doing almost anything.
    IMG_3040_heic-XL.jpg

My KTM 640 Adventure came with a decent tool set and I have added extra bits and bobs over the years. This tool set covers my 640 and my 525XCW
    IMG_3364-XL.jpg

I highly recommend carrying the necessary tools for flat tires, sure it may not be a common thing but if you're in the middle of nowhere it's a royal pain. This pump is a very well built unit that works very well and it packs super small.
    IMG_3336-XL.jpg

Look at the tools you have, look around your bike for any fasteners etc that need something different. Consider what maintenance you might want to do on the road and make sure you have the necessary tools.
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon 7frrnSRiTt9Fk

Thanks skibum69 for sharing pics of your extra tools as well.

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I am the wrong person to ask maybe because I carry too much stuff. But, a good set of ball end allen wrenches is a must....

The ace in the hole: Allstate RV Roadside Assistance.
    Two questions: (1) Why ball end not standard allen wrenches?

(2) How did you settle on Allstate RV Roadside Assistance over other options?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by vark View Post
    Two questions: (1) Why ball end not standard allen wrenches?

(2) How did you settle on Allstate RV Roadside Assistance over other options?

Thanks.
    Many fasteners are hard to align the allen wrench into. But the allowed angularity for a ball end wrench makes things much easier.

Many roadside assistance plans have a mileage limitation for a tow. 35 miles and 100 miles are the most typical. That may work for a Ford in Dallas but it may not work so well for a BMW motorcycle in west Texas, or most places west of the Mississippi for that matter. Allstate RV provides no-cost towing to "the nearest qualified service facility." If I need a tire that might be an all brands motorcycle shop. But if it is a BMW specific failures - HES, stator, switch gear, etc - it will be a tow to the nearest BMW dealership even if that is 400 or 500 miles away. Where I live a 35 mile tow won't get me to a grocery store, let alone a qualified repair facility. As with most things, the fine print matters.

I have used my tire inflation stuff to help a stranded HD guy in our motel parking lot. He was grateful. The one time I needed it on the road, the damage was on the sidewall and a plug wouldn't help. Fortunately I knew someone within an hour's drive.
    2000 BMW R1100RS | Past bikes: 97 Suzuki GS500E, 82 Suzuki GS1100E, 07 Suzuki V-Strom 650

I was very glad to have everything I needed on this day in the middle of nowhere Labrador, I had a rear flat 2 days later.
    IMG_1347-XL.jpg
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon 7frrnSRiTt9Fk

Many fasteners are hard to align the allen wrench into. But the allowed angularity for a ball end wrench makes things much easier.

Many roadside assistance plans have a mileage limitation for a tow. 35 miles and 100 miles are the most typical. That may work for a Ford in Dallas but it may not work so well for a BMW motorcycle in west Texas, or most places west of the Mississippi for that matter. Allstate RV provides no-cost towing to "the nearest qualified service facility." If I need a tire that might be an all brands motorcycle shop. But if it is a BMW specific failures - HES, stator, switch gear, etc - it will be a tow to the nearest BMW dealership even if that is 400 or 500 miles away. Where I live a 35 mile tow won't get me to a grocery store, let alone a qualified repair facility. As with most things, the fine print matters.
    Gotcha. Thanks very much.

Quote Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
    I was very glad to have everything I needed on this day in the middle of nowhere Labrador, I had a rear flat 2 days later.
    IMG_1347-XL.jpg

Yikes. Were those just ordinary flats you were dealing with, or something else? If flats, was there a reason you couldn’t plug the tire(s) without dismounting?

RK Ryder

Paul, I believe that you once mentioned having the KOA RV towing package in the past (I could be mistaken) and if so, what is the difference between it and the Allstate RV package?
    Paul F. Ruffell
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Knights of the Roundel #333