• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Extra tools to carry on G 310GS

iomtt

Hello all,
Am interested in knowing what extra tools do you carry with you on your G 310 R or GS when your out traveling with it for 3-5 days besides the tools that come with the bike.
Maybe a good question for either Paul or Voni since they put ALOT of miles on their 310 GS's.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions.

Anybody ?

I am the wrong person to ask maybe because I carry too much stuff. But, a good set of ball end allen wrenches is a must. A set of 3/8 drive sockets, a short extension and a small ratchet. A few stubby combination wrenches. An electrical 12 volt test light. Small needle nose vice grips. I haul a lot more than that but that is a good start. Make sure you have enough to remove either wheel to have it hauled to town for a tire repair if necessary.

The photo below is my summer touring tool kit. It goes no matter which bikes we are taking for the summer. It works on other people's bikes too when I encounter a rider with a problem on the road or in a campground or motel parking lot. It is overkill, but look it over and pick out what might seem useful to you.

ADDED: This does not include a 12vpump, tire plugging kit, Lithium Ion battery jumpstart pack and a few other items including 1 liter of spare fuel.

The ace in the hole: Allstate RV Roadside Assistance.

Attachments

• bike tools.jpg
    bike tools.jpg
    506.3 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Anybody ?

No bike specific info, but I am a cell phone and credit card type of guy. I do carry a tire plugger and compressor, but wonder why I bother. For the record I put on 10.000+ miles a year. In 15 years and about 200,000 miles of riding I have yet to use the tire plugger on the road, and nothing else in the tool kit that I used to carry. I broke down on a trip once and it was to far gone to deal with it on the road. Left the bike at a safe place, rented a car to get home and went back and picked it up the next weekend.

Thanks guys for the feedback,much appreciated !
That looks to be quite the assortment of tools Paul, but it will give me some good ideas.

PoorUB - I too have a tire plugger kit and pump and really hope I never ever have to use it !! ;)

Thanks again to you both.

Thanks guys for the feedback,much appreciated !
That looks to be quite the assortment of tools Paul, but it will give me some good ideas.

PoorUB - I too have a tire plugger kit and pump and really hope I never ever have to use it !! ;)

Thanks again to you both.

Pick what you see as valuable to you. Please note the stubby wrenches. A wide range of sizes, 19mm on down don't take a lot of room. Also the wire stripper. And a few other universal useful tools.

Last edited:
I have 3 different sets of tools for different bikes, I've only had my R1100S since August and have not done any big trips on it yet. It has some tools under the seat. If I do go for a long run I will be adding wrenches etc to this tool kit.
IMG_3041_heic-XL.jpg

I just bought an original replacement tool set for my R65LS, it's pretty complete for doing almost anything.
IMG_3040_heic-XL.jpg

My KTM 640 Adventure came with a decent tool set and I have added extra bits and bobs over the years. This tool set covers my 640 and my 525XCW
IMG_3364-XL.jpg

I highly recommend carrying the necessary tools for flat tires, sure it may not be a common thing but if you're in the middle of nowhere it's a royal pain. This pump is a very well built unit that works very well and it packs super small.
IMG_3336-XL.jpg

Look at the tools you have, look around your bike for any fasteners etc that need something different. Consider what maintenance you might want to do on the road and make sure you have the necessary tools.

I am the wrong person to ask maybe because I carry too much stuff. But, a good set of ball end allen wrenches is a must....

The ace in the hole: Allstate RV Roadside Assistance.

Two questions: (1) Why ball end not standard allen wrenches?

(2) How did you settle on Allstate RV Roadside Assistance over other options?

Thanks.

Two questions: (1) Why ball end not standard allen wrenches?

(2) How did you settle on Allstate RV Roadside Assistance over other options?

Thanks.

Many fasteners are hard to align the allen wrench into. But the allowed angularity for a ball end wrench makes things much easier.

Many roadside assistance plans have a mileage limitation for a tow. 35 miles and 100 miles are the most typical. That may work for a Ford in Dallas but it may not work so well for a BMW motorcycle in west Texas, or most places west of the Mississippi for that matter. Allstate RV provides no-cost towing to "the nearest qualified service facility." If I need a tire that might be an all brands motorcycle shop. But if it is a BMW specific failures - HES, stator, switch gear, etc - it will be a tow to the nearest BMW dealership even if that is 400 or 500 miles away. Where I live a 35 mile tow won't get me to a grocery store, let alone a qualified repair facility. As with most things, the fine print matters.

I have used my tire inflation stuff to help a stranded HD guy in our motel parking lot. He was grateful. The one time I needed it on the road, the damage was on the sidewall and a plug wouldn't help. Fortunately I knew someone within an hour's drive.

I was very glad to have everything I needed on this day in the middle of nowhere Labrador, I had a rear flat 2 days later.
IMG_1347-XL.jpg

Many fasteners are hard to align the allen wrench into. But the allowed angularity for a ball end wrench makes things much easier.

Many roadside assistance plans have a mileage limitation for a tow. 35 miles and 100 miles are the most typical. That may work for a Ford in Dallas but it may not work so well for a BMW motorcycle in west Texas, or most places west of the Mississippi for that matter. Allstate RV provides no-cost towing to "the nearest qualified service facility." If I need a tire that might be an all brands motorcycle shop. But if it is a BMW specific failures - HES, stator, switch gear, etc - it will be a tow to the nearest BMW dealership even if that is 400 or 500 miles away. Where I live a 35 mile tow won't get me to a grocery store, let alone a qualified repair facility. As with most things, the fine print matters.

Gotcha. Thanks very much.

Paul, I believe that you once mentioned having the KOA RV towing package in the past (I could be mistaken) and if so, what is the difference between it and the Allstate RV package? :dunno

Check out this thread by Jenny Morgan on ADV. Scroll down to see the toolkit. She did the TAT on a 310.
https://advrider.com/f/threads/beemer-beemer-chicken-deener.1294883/
She did the same trip on a Honda CB500X.

Traveling the USA, I believe in self sufficiency and the basic theory of only carrying what you need/can to get rolling again, to a better place, and fix the problem. Based on the length of your journey, longer trip = more tools. The variable of course is what shape your bike is in before you leave home. Needless to say, the size of the 310 dictates how much you can take with you.

For me, having tools to remove wheels on a long journey is an absolute must, and carrying a puncture kit at all times makes too much sense (tubeless) YMMV.

I’ve assembled two toolkits - one for each of my bikes, an RT and Honda CB500X - both toolkits are ready to go at any time, so I don’t have to raid one for the other (except the CyclePump gets swapped).

The bare minimum I carry is a puncture kit and BestRest Cycle Pump. My Honda CB500X toolkit that can fit under the seat - something sorely lacking with BMWs. I find it best not to pack every single tool in hard to reach places on the bike, eg. a Leatherman and a 14mm wrench is usually in the Honda’s tank bag.

Check out Motion Pro, they make excellent items for a build it yourself toolkit.

This is an old photo of my CB500X toolkit, this fits under the bike seat. I’ve added to this, but gives a general idea of how large a small bike toolkit looks.

2-tools-unpacked.jpg

Last edited:
Paul, I believe that you once mentioned having the KOA RV towing package in the past (I could be mistaken) and if so, what is the difference between it and the Allstate RV package? :dunno

I think at least once we got the Allstate RV deal through the KOA affinity group. I think Good Sam had such a deal too a while back. But for a number of years we have just just renewed through Allstate Motor Club. My current card says Member since 06/2001.

Allstate now just states a maximum of up to $250 roadside assistance which includes towing. You are not going very far on $250. A few years ago I had a flatbed haul my car after a break down on the highway. 70 miles was $400. Now granted it was a car, but the truck is the same whether car or motorcycle so I don't think it would matter much.

Allstate now just states a maximum of up to $250 roadside assistance which includes towing. You are not going very far on $250. A few years ago I had a flatbed haul my car after a break down on the highway. 70 miles was $400. Now granted it was a car, but the truck is the same whether car or motorcycle so I don't think it would matter much.

There is a difference between Allstate Motor Club and Allstate RV.

My dual sport KTM's run tubes so your wheel is coming off to patch or swap them. This one was a finishing nail that pincushioned the tube at about 90 kmh and I went into full on tank slappers. I still don't know how I managed to stay upright.
IMG_1348-XL.jpg

And yes to Jenny Morgan's RR on her big long test ride around the country on her 310 GS. It's a really good RR where she does her best to push the bike to all of its limitations and writes it all down for you to check out. She's a very nice person who has a lot a lot of offroad experience and her threads tend to be a lot of fun. I threw some $$ to her when she went to the Dakar and have been following her for years.

Sorry I didn't think to throw up her thread before ebell did, I must have been drunk.:ha

Back