• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Query about Reynolds Ride OFF stands

Back in the 1970s BMW owners manuals had instructions for centerstand use. Bike was supposed to be taken off stand with you standing next to the bike.

Back in the 1970s BMW owners manuals had instructions for centerstand use. Bike was supposed to be taken off stand with you standing next to the bike.

Along those lines......
I’m unaware that specific stands that were “for” riding off of them. Center-stands I have had on bikes could be ridden off but like putting the bike on the center-stand, some worked better than others.
Of course I may have understood all of this :dunno
OM

Ride off stand

Ride off stand means just that. The Ride off stand on my R80RT works perfectly, just as advertised many years ago. A huge improvement on parked stability and ease of getting the bike onto the center stand. Since I have installed it on my RT, I have never again had the bike fall over off the side stand nor the center stand. Granted, changing a rear tire or checking air in the tires means rolling the bike back and forth or putting a board under the stand to raise a wheel off the ground. I live with that because the positives are greater than the negatives.

In the case of a ride off stand, BMW's recommendations on putting a bike on or off the center stand are somewhat irrelevant.

Kurt, no joy, I tried the chrome stand and it won't clear the pan. This is one of those so called Belgian Police bikes. I don't know if the bike came with the bigger oil pan or the first owner a BMW dealer installed it. Or even if the second owner did. It looks like a BMW pan. Next time I have the bike on the lift I will have to look for a part number of some kind or a BMW stamp.

It really is sad Reynolds went out of business, they made some excellent luggage racks and back rests as well as the ride off stand. If they were in business, I would never have gambled and bought a used stand.

Since the work on the frame tabs today, I have only moved the bike on and off the stand three times. Before I do anymore, I am going to give it a good try. The real joy will be getting the bike off the stand while it is on my lift. If I can do that, I will be very happy. St.

Thanks Kurt

Thanks for the link Kurt, I see a possible for my bike. The picture of the Motren Israel is very close to what mine looks like. Next time it is on the lift, I will check for numbers and such.

I know this bike is a special run of bikes imported by Butler and Smith. Collectively known as the Belgian police bikes, I have never been able to verify they were in fact made for the Belgian police at all. My limited research into the bikes the Belgian local police and Federal police used never shows them riding BMW RS bikes.

What I do know about this bike is, it is 40mm exhaust versus 38mm. It has European controls versus US. It came wired with four way flashers. It has a factory oil cooler. And it is a two tone paint job, Red upper fairing, tank, seat cowl and flat black lowers and side covers. Supposedly only 600 were made in this combo. The history of this combo of color and parts is much less documented than the RS Motosport bike which was white with the red trim around the headlight. It was a factory option.

So, either the oil pan is stock, or aftermarket. I am scratching my head now in bewilderment. I have one ride off stand that fits and one that does not. Both are supposed to be the same model stand.

In all honesty, because there are no numbers stamped on them, one of them could be the wrong stand entirely in that case, if the stand that clears the pan is the wrong one for the bike, it might explain why it works so poorly. I am disappointed the other stand would not fit. I really wanted to solve this problem once and for all. But hey, I may have, I just have to see how things work the next few rides. Cheers, St.

I have seen this

Hey Kurt, I have seen the article you have posted here. It and my exploration of the Belgian Federal and local police history confirms these bikes were never made for their use. Tom Cutter knows Butler and Smith well and I bow to his knowledge on the subject, I mean, he was there at the time these bikes were imported.

It has been a nice myth and I am very happy with the bike now I am getting some sins sorted out. St.

With ride off stand, you may want to carry a 2x4 with you ... because your ability to remove a wheel for puncture repair is compromised. Something to put under the stand to get some additional ground clearance.

Puncture repair and other

I call MOA road side assist for puncture repair. LOL,

Seriously, I had one time where I needed to repair a tire on a ride on the side of the road. It was a royal pain in the butt. My second time, I called and had the bike trailered to a shop. MOA paid for it. With tubes in the rear tire (The tire most likely to go flat), I am not inclined to try to repair on the side of the road. IF I have to do so, I can lay the bike on its right cylinder and pull the wheel off.

Perhaps I am foolish but I don't worry about breaking down or flats when riding. With more than 200K on my RT and only 2 flats, I think the odds are pretty good I don't need to worry much about if and when I get a flat will I be able to get the wheel off.

I bought the ride off stand because it is far easier to get the bike up on and off it. The best part is I have never had the bike fall over while on the Reynolds stand. I haven't come back to the bike and found it sinking into black top or grass on the verge of falling over. Oh yeah, I keep the side stand greased and it can be used but, I haven't used it in a long time.

It turns out one of my friends has a ride off stand on his 79 R100RT. Sometime this week, he is going to be stopping by to change his oil and filter. At that point, I can do a side by side comparison of his stand and mine. St.

Steven -

I find it unusual that you can't find the model number stamped on your stands. Plus you mentioned something about not seeing any issues with the powder coating. I was unaware that Reynolds did anything other than chrome for their stands. Makes me wonder what you have...

I am also confused

Hey Kurt, I can only go by what information is available today. I agree chrome is the most prevalent coating seen in the surviving brochures.

I find it odd the black stand I have on my RS has a Reynold's sticker on it. Who would bother to make a replica stand, paint or powder coat it and stick a bogus sticker on it? It is not like faking a Rembrandt, It wouldn't be worth the money involved to do. I don't ever recall back in the day any stories of bogus Reynold's ride off stands on the market. Again, I can't imagine faking a limited market item for a niche market would be worth it. As to it being a one off job, it is amazingly well made and other than the center brace is an exact copy of the Chrome one I just bought. Again, why would someone make one from scratch? I can imagine someone moving the center brace down even that would not account for how good a shape the stand is in. Plus, if that was done, why. bother putting a sticker on?

As I have said, it is a shame Reynold's went out of business. Buying a new unit from them would have ensured I got the perfect fit for my bike as well as technical support.

Buying parts on Ebay no matter how many positive ratings the seller has is always a matter of buyer beware. I think at this point my problem has been solved by bending things back into place however, in the back of my mind I think I got a worn out or improper stand. It really would be nice if there were numbers stamped on the stands. To be honest, I haven't looked to see if there is even a number stamped on my RT's stand which works perfectly.

I am looking forward now to comparing my friend's stands ease of use, and such to mine. Cheers for now, St.

Thanks Kurt

Hey Kurt, I see what you mean about clearing the oil pan. Makes me wonder if the chrome stand I just bought is in fact a 320 stand or something else.

It would have been nice if Reynolds stamped stands consistently. Perhaps they did and I got counterfeits. LOL, of course the market was and is so large counterfeit stands bring in lucrative money. Cheers, St.

So Far so good

So today's ride showed a marked improvement in the ease of using the stand.

Will be riding the RT for comparison Thursday. St.

Final finding

The ride off stand on my RS is vastly better now I have bent the tabs back into shape.

It is not as smooth as the ride off on my 84 RT but I can live with it. St.

The question still lingers

The question still lingers in my mind; did I bend the tabs in the accident I had and not notice it? Or, did I bend them horsing the bike off the lift with the stand down? I will never know. St.

My latest discussion

Well, I got a chance to compare the Ride off Stand on my friend's 79RT to mine. They are exactly the same. Both work about the same, so by bending my tabs into correct position, I have solved my problem.

Now I have a pretty chrome stand I have no idea as to what it fits or what the stock number is? Oh well, could be worse. St.

Back