• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1983 r65 tachometer

davidryan

Exploring reason for erratic signal lights and tach on the r65 i looked at the multiplug to the tach pod.
Found the green/blue wire into the pod had become bared and shorted
resulting in a burn to adjacent elements of the multiplug. Wired in a replacement multiplug.
Now the signal lights and all tach lights are working well but the tach needle just bounces around 0.
Took out the tach and all the male pins to the multiplug look unharmed. Cleaned them and put the unit back. No joy. Your thoughts would welcome

David Ryan, Toronto

What about the other end of the wire for the tach. It's supposed to come off the coil...see if you can find that terminal and ensure it's OK. My '78 shows a black wire off the coil going to pin 10 of the multiplug.

Is it possible?

I agree with checking other connections, do that first.

I hate to guess here but is it possible when you were having the shorting problem, you fried something inside the tachometer itself? Electronic things are sometime prone to going dead after shorts in the wires. I have not looked inside an electronic tachometer since one of mine started acting up. Turns out it was only crud on a connection in my case. I don't remember the components.

I have not a clue as to how the electronic tachometers work, nor even a remote idea as to how to bench test them to see if they do work.

I really feel for you and I hope it turns out to be just a loose/dirty connection. St.

What about the other end of the wire for the tach. It's supposed to come off the coil...see if you can find that terminal and ensure it's OK. My '78 shows a black wire off the coil going to pin 10 of the multiplug.

Yes, and also check ALL the connections to the coils as well, since a bad coil connection can cause erratic behavior of the tach. The Clymer wiring diagram shows there is a diode connected on the black wire, and if your needle is just twitching up and down slightly that might be a sign of diode failure or disconnection.

Good luck,
DeVern

1983 r65 tachometer update

Thanks for your advice.
Followed it and ended up testing current at the tach needle multiprong point.
Had the appropriate current dull variable at idle increasing in strength at higher rpms.
Am going to send the tach to palo alto speed for diagnostics and repair.

R65 tach swinging

The tach on my /82 R65 just started acting up. Sometimes it runs right to 8,000 rpm and stays there or it behaves normally. It does not matter what gear. Any ideas?

Probably a bad ground. I believe the tach gets its info from the way the ignition coils charge and collapse. I'm not sure about the instrument pod on the R65...I know the /7 has a large black plug that inserts into the back of the speedo pod. I would check to be sure that the connections at the coil(s) are secure and then see if the connections to the speedo pod are also secure.

Back