Thread: 1983 r65 tachometer

1983 r65 tachometer

Exploring reason for erratic signal lights and tach on the r65 i looked at the multiplug to the tach pod.
    Found the green/blue wire into the pod had become bared and shorted
    resulting in a burn to adjacent elements of the multiplug. Wired in a replacement multiplug.
    Now the signal lights and all tach lights are working well but the tach needle just bounces around 0.
    Took out the tach and all the male pins to the multiplug look unharmed. Cleaned them and put the unit back. No joy. Your thoughts would welcome

David Ryan, Toronto

What about the other end of the wire for the tach. It's supposed to come off the coil...see if you can find that terminal and ensure it's OK. My '78 shows a black wire off the coil going to pin 10 of the multiplug.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Is it possible?

I agree with checking other connections, do that first.

I hate to guess here but is it possible when you were having the shorting problem, you fried something inside the tachometer itself? Electronic things are sometime prone to going dead after shorts in the wires. I have not looked inside an electronic tachometer since one of mine started acting up. Turns out it was only crud on a connection in my case. I don't remember the components.

I have not a clue as to how the electronic tachometers work, nor even a remote idea as to how to bench test them to see if they do work.

I really feel for you and I hope it turns out to be just a loose/dirty connection. St.

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    What about the other end of the wire for the tach. It's supposed to come off the coil...see if you can find that terminal and ensure it's OK. My '78 shows a black wire off the coil going to pin 10 of the multiplug.
    Yes, and also check ALL the connections to the coils as well, since a bad coil connection can cause erratic behavior of the tach. The Clymer wiring diagram shows there is a diode connected on the black wire, and if your needle is just twitching up and down slightly that might be a sign of diode failure or disconnection.

Good luck,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST 1984 R80 G/S-PD 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C 2010 K1300GT 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Any News

So any news on what has been tried and tested?

Is the problem solved? St.

1983 r65 tachometer update

Thanks for your advice.
    Followed it and ended up testing current at the tach needle multiprong point.
    Had the appropriate current dull variable at idle increasing in strength at higher rpms.
    Am going to send the tach to palo alto speed for diagnostics and repair.

I need to be nosey

I am curious what Palo Alto is charging you to diagnose your Tachometer. St.