• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Boot Recommendations?

I wear the BMW goretex boots and love them, never have been wet, warm in below freezing weather and not to hot at 90 degrees plus and high humidity. Crashed one pair in a high side when some young thing ran me off the road. no injury to feet. boots survived well. Oh and anything with the name combat in it is fine, unless of course you have to be in combat (and I mean the real thing) while wearing them :D

Sidi Thunder Boots

My $0.02:

Sidi Thunder. They haven't let my feet get wet, are comfortable for mild walks, and look plausibly "normal." (i.e., not like you're going to track day) Armor is only minimal, but the leather on the calf has a lot of adjustability to make them fit well. The leather was also were pliable from day 1, so no real break-in needed. I'd buy them again with no reservations.

rgvilla said:
...have been..warm in below freezing weather ...

My feet have ALWAYS been warm in below freezing weather regardless of type of footwear. But my BMWs have the "built-in" foot warmers. These things work really well, but sometimes I do bang my shin or knee on them. ;-)

[Since we are in the Campfire, rather than Gear - I thought a bit of levity was ok.]

knary said:
As for the Combat Tourers, maybe take a little ride out to Duluth?
Well, this weekend I did just that and left with a pair of the Combat Touring Boots. I was really impressed with the heavy duty materials and the quality construction. Interestingly I found the regular CTBs to be more comfortable than the shorter 'Lite' version after spending some time in both at the store. I opted for the wedge sole version.

After riding in them for a couple of days now, here are some observations:

* They are very stiff and are going to take a while to break in
* I really like how they look
* I am confident that if I ever crash they are going to protect my lower extremities better than anything else on the market
* They are easier to put on and take off than I thought they would be
* They are fully adjustable and fit my foot and leg better than any riding boot I've ever worn

Thanks everyone for the information and input!!

I have the BMW boots, made in Italy. Got 'em half price at the Rocket Rally a few years ago. I really enjoy them.

boxergrrlie said:
Well, this weekend I did just that and left with a pair of the Combat Touring Boots. I was really impressed with the heavy duty materials and the quality construction. Interestingly I found the regular CTBs to be more comfortable than the shorter 'Lite' version after spending some time in both at the store. I opted for the wedge sole version.

After riding in them for a couple of days now, here are some observations:

* They are very stiff and are going to take a while to break in
* I really like how they look
* I am confident that if I ever crash they are going to protect my lower extremities better than anything else on the market
* They are easier to put on and take off than I thought they would be
* They are fully adjustable and fit my foot and leg better than any riding boot I've ever worn

Thanks everyone for the information and input!!

Congratulations on the new boots. As to breaking in, at Philmont Scout Ranch in NM (famous to Boy Scouts...) new boot owners were told to stand or walk around in a stream for 20 minutes and then walk (hike) the boots dry.

cjack said:
Congratulations on the new boots. As to breaking in, at Philmont Scout Ranch in NM (famous to Boy Scouts...) new boot owners were told to stand or walk around in a stream for 20 minutes and then walk (hike) the boots dry.

OK. I bought a new pair of boots. Boring...BMW Pro Touring boots. New ones for BMW. My last pair of BMW boots finally sprung a leak on the left big toe. The one that is under the shift lever and I think that's why. We were on the way to VT and rode in 200 miles of rain so heavy we could hardly see. I don't blame the boots so much, but a wet toe is a wet toe.
The old ones laced up inside with velcro over. The new ones are zip up with a small velcro flap. On the outsides of the boots, there is adjustment for snugness, velcro and stuff, but these adjustments don't have to be undone when putting them on or off. Just the inward sides of the boots closest to each other with the zippers. There is a bonded sort of rubber patch for shifting so I don't think these will ever wear there. Great to walk around in and very sticky on the metal foot pegs on the K12S. Easy break-in so I don't think I'll have to stand in a creek.

I'm surprised no one has bragged on the Sidi On Road boots. They are waterproof, tall, comfortable to walk in and very adjustable. The Sidi Thunder is also waterproof and very well designed for protection. It looks a bit more normal and is quicker on and off.

The Oxtar Matrix is very protective, but it does have a narrow toe box. Also, it is very thick under the arch which means you have to bend your knees a bit more than with other boots.

tourmaster

I have a set of Tourmaster Solution boots . They are warm , keep me dry, very comfortable and best of all only cost only $115.

Back