• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Boot Recommendations?

My brother in law refers to my legs as tree stumps. I have big calfs and thighs, and usually had to Ski Boots custom fitted. I have used both the BMW Gortex boot and the Oxtar boot. When new I needed to wear thinner socks, but thank god leather stretches over time. I love both boots, definately waterproof, When I ordered the Oxtars from Newenough I needed to go one size up.

HTH

YMMV

Harley Davidson commision some great boots from Wolverine that are waterproof, reasonably priced, and offer tremndous support and protection. I have a pair of lace up boots that are also great for walking when you get to the destination too. I am sure that vibration insulation and comfort while walking fit are necessary features for the brand....lol...just kidding

STRESS said:
Just read an article in MC about the BMW Transition boot. The review claims they were very comfortable , water proof and earned a CE certification. They like all BMW tagged clothing weren't cheap but if an extra $100 could keep me off crutches I will consider when I replace my current boot.

If you buy BMWs Transition boot make sure there is not a pressure point at the ankles. Some people find these boots very uncomfortable. After a few unhappy customers, my BMW dealer makes sure his customers are satisfied with the fit. The fit problem seems to be unique to these boots. I have other BMW boots and they are perfect. If you also wear BMW pants, and like wear them over (on the outside of) the boot, the Transitions may not work - I have to tuck my pants into the boots. If you can get a good fit - they provide protection which is equal to any "street" boot on the market IMHO.

Stuff2C said:

When I first made this post on ADVrider I was wearing the BMW Savanna booth every day. They are still is great shape & have held up very well. I also wear them off road almost every weekend. Then two weeks ago I wore the Oxtar Infinity boots for the first time. They are indeed the same boot as the Savanna with some slight embellishments & in my opinion make them better that the Savanna boots.

I commute wearing the BMW/Oxtar boots in Seattle weather every day 70 miles round trip 4-5 days a week & have never had wet feet. In addition they are not overly hot in the summer. Not as light as my SIDI MC boots for summer weather but they are good PNW summer conditions.

Last edited:
I have Oxtar Matrix. They are Waterproof and wear well. I don't like the toe box, being narrow, it is tight with any cushion type sock.

I don't tuck in the trouser leg, so I am looking at the Tour Master Response SC Road boot.

Anyone know of a boot with a "square" toe box?

I too like the Datoyna...

It is a very well made boot....

It is adjustable in fit....and easy to wear "tight" but still be able to get them on and off easily....

My calfs are only slightly thinner than the "big maine woman's" ( it's a joke Irene)....and they can easily adust to fit...

They seem to wear well, and have never leaked....

For all the Oxtar fans, a note from New Enough:

Oxtar Boots

Note about availability: Oxtar is in the process of changing US distributors. We have been closing out the styles below because they will no longer be offered in the US by the new distributor (except for the Matrix style). Please feel free to look at currently availability of the boots listed below by clicking on the drop down menu on each product page. Not many are left, but if your size remains, grab'em!

username said:
i'm an oxtar matrix man.

perfectly waterproof, and expandable calf area. i dont know about 18 inches, but i've had them on with all sorts of pants (heavy long underwear and jeans) tucked in, and they were fine. good armor. not bad looking.

First day wearing my new matix boots purchased at motorcyclecloseouts.com I can't tell you how comfortable they are. What he said :dance

I had been wearing BMW street sneakers and other BMW Boots , size 42 (9).. Its an exact match to their sizing. I think I heard Oxtar mfrs for BMW so it would make sense that the sizing would match exactly

If you buy new boots make sure they are comfortable on the bike as well (and make sure you go through the shifting motions to check to be sure). I am currently in the process of trying to figure out how to make my bike fit my boots and it is more of a hassle than I ever thought it would be. I bought a pair Oxtar boots and I have a 1974 R90/6 and they aren't a good match (not enough room to get my foot under the shifter to upshift comfortably -- size 42 boots).

j

bump

Hi y'all. I am shopping for a pair of boots and looking back through several threads for recommndations.

It sounds like the Daytonas and the Oxtar Matrix are good boots. I'm wondering if anyone has any more input about the Aerostich Combat Touring Boots - I was surprised that more people didn't have things to say about it.

I need really good all-around boots - they need to be waterproof, comfortable riding and walking (if possible) and they need to be DURABLE and well-made (is this too much to ask??). The boots that I am replacing are waterproof Alpinestars that I managed to destroy in one year. Ugh. TIA.

I purchased a pair of Oxtar Matrix boots about 2 months ago.. The best boots I have ever had. They are available on closeout everywhere very cheap. Totally waterproof, comfortable with just enough support and no break in time necessary.. All day comfort even if I wear them all day in the office. They look great with jeans or casual clothes.

To me the aerostitch boots look like overkill

Hi BG! I've had my Combat Touring Boots for about 9 or 10 years.

These boots have always kept my feet dry despite riding all day in pouring rain. The boots were a bit stiff at first, but generally were comfortable for all day riding from the get go.

I don't find the boots super comfortable to walk great distances; they are ok for going to a restaurant, etc. When I get to the hotel or campsite, the boots come off and are replaced with either sneakers or sandals.

The boots are very easy to don and doff. That is a good thing in the mornings when I'm not so limber after sleeping on the ground. But I can put the boots on, then my 'Stich and go get breakfast.

Like my 'Stich, I've not tested the road abraision resistance of the boots - I hope that I never have to do so.

I usually only wear the Combat Touring Boots if I am going to be riding for extended periods of time. For shorter distances / time I will wear some water proof steel toed boots that are more comfortable for walking - and wearing working on the bikes (or other activities that require steel toe footwear). The Combat Touring Boots do not have steel toes.

Care of these boots is simple. I use black shoe polish, silicone spray, and a leather care product (e.g. saddle soap / mink oil) from time to time. To me the boots still look as new.

The boots are made for RiderWarehouse by Sidi - instructions are given regarding sole replacement when needed.

I've been happy with mine for motorcycle touring.
http://www.aerostich.com/product.php?productid=16558

Sidi Strada Evo Tepor Boot

I have had these boots for about 2 1/2 years. I think they are great. Comfortable to walk in, water proof, and good protection. Just an example of how good they were as far as being water proof; I was standing in a puddle that had about 5 inches of water. Feet stayed dry the whole time. Here is some info on them http://store.roadridermca.com/sistevotebo.html

When I need to get a replacement set of boots, I'll buy another from Sidi for sure.

Brian

PS for those wandering why I was standing in 5 inches of water? I was trying to get my bike out of a roadside ditch. Lets just say that a pile of loose sand and a curve do not mix all that well for the front tire.

boxergrrlie said:
Hi y'all. I am shopping for a pair of boots and looking back through several threads for recommndations.

It sounds like the Daytonas and the Oxtar Matrix are good boots. I'm wondering if anyone has any more input about the Aerostich Combat Touring Boots - I was surprised that more people didn't have things to say about it.

I need really good all-around boots - they need to be waterproof, comfortable riding and walking (if possible) and they need to be DURABLE and well-made (is this too much to ask??). The boots that I am replacing are waterproof Alpinestars that I managed to destroy in one year. Ugh. TIA.

You're just going to have to go try some boots on. A good fit is the deal maker. No matter how well reviewed a boot is (I still really really like the Oxtars), you'll hate it if it isn't made to fit your kind of foot. For the Oxtars, the sizing is pretty much identical to their corresponding BMW model, so finding a fit is pretty easy. As for the Combat Tourers, maybe take a little ride out to Duluth?

knary said:
You're just going to have to go try some boots on. A good fit is the deal maker. No matter how well reviewed a boot is (I still really really like the Oxtars), you'll hate it if it isn't made to fit your kind of foot. For the Oxtars, the sizing is pretty much identical to their corresponding BMW model, so finding a fit is pretty easy. As for the Combat Tourers, maybe take a little ride out to Duluth?
Ditto. The Oxtar are made by the same manufacturer as BMW boots and I agree sizing is the big thing. I have had 3 pairs of same grade but different "model years" of BMW Goretex boots and they were all great. Dry, and reasonably comfortable walking around for a day in them. I do put those foam green inner soles in them though and pull out that flat thing BMW sticks in there. I did like some of them better because of sizing. One pair a few years ago was too narrow at the toe. The discontinued Contour Plus boots are the best so far. The new ones with the exoskeleton called Transition or some such are kind of the replacement, but I find them kind of clunky. But I didn't give them a fair test. They would surely save your ankles if you rode a K bike. I would look pretty hard at the Oxtar. My dealer carries them both and they are pretty good. I just never tried them since I am a BMW snob. I did buy some Revit gloves and wear a Darien and a Roadcrafter, so maybe the Oxtar...
Don't know anything about the Combat boots. I didn't know they were waterproof. One thing though, I have never polished my BMW boots hoping that they would remain cool (porous to water vapor) in hot dry weather and they pretty much do. I have worn them in 105 degree F weather leaving Portland, OR a couple years ago and they were fine.

Oh and I should mention that I don't think any BMW or Oxtar boots are going to last 10 years like the Combats mentioned. I would say maybe about 5 years is probably about it for boots like this. Also though, I have never seen any of the BMW boots loose a stitch, or come unglued, etc.

I also recommend the Combat Tourers. Have had a pair for several years, and they are one tough boot. Waterproof too, as long as you treat them periodically as recommended with a beeswax/silicone mixture. Have ridden in many downpours in them, and never a drop gets through. As someone mentioned above, not the best hiking boots, but quite comfortable enough for the usual walking a rider does. Can't imagine anything wearing out on these things, other than the soles, and nowhere close on them. Sizing chart on the Aerostitch chart is reliable, at least in my case, they fit perfectly following their directions. Just my 2?ó.

Back