• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New member from Vermont

tkajah4166

Hello Folks!

Getting back into motorcycles after 5 years or so , previous bike was a KLR (5 yrs ago)and just picked up a 2009 G650GS, super nice(at least i think so at the moment) it has just over 13,000 miles on it.

Sadly I am in the holding pattern for getting this registered at the moment for VT does not have in person operation at the moment so had to mail in and wait. thats okay though this is allowing the opportunity to pick through the manual and get familiar with what is what and where things are. Also will give me the chance to change oil and some other simple things until I get the plate.

First time owning a BMW and would appreciate ideas as to where to shop for parts and accessories ,the closet dealer to me is 1.5 hour away in any direction, thats what living in a more rural area will do for you , but thanks for the interweb there are options.

Thanks for having me, I look forward to some responses.

Tom

Londonderry, VTBike2.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome from Newfoundland, you have a new BDR in your area and there is a solid group of riders in your area on the ADVrider forum.

Are there Travel restrictions in Vermont for out of state visitors???????????????

j

Vermont still has signs posted at borders for those entering from out of state to quarentine for 14 days if you are hanging around but if your just passing by, no issues.

Welcome to the forum

We have a 2007 model and no major complaints. Been rock solid and H’s go to commuter.

I laugh when you said “oil change” and “ simple” in same sentence. The funny quote from PGlaves was everything starts with removing left blinker! Once you have changed the oil a few times it’s no biggie, but can be messy the first try. Draining tank after blinker removal and following steps including the horizontal filter will provide a spill opportunity... BTDT!

Great home location BTW

You’re in the Deep South, Vermont’s Banana Belt! Some very nice riding down there! We have a very active club (in normal times) in the BMW Motorcycle Owners of Vermont. Breakfast meetings in Bethel the first Sunday of every non-Covid month, plenty of annual events, lots of good people with varying degrees of expertise.

The closest dealer to you would be Max BMW. Great folks.

Welcome to the family!
Pete
Craftsbury Common, Vermont

You’re in the Deep South, Vermont’s Banana Belt! Some very nice riding down there! We have a very active club (in normal times) in the BMW Motorcycle Owners of Vermont. Breakfast meetings in Bethel the first Sunday of every non-Covid month, plenty of annual events, lots of good people with varying degrees of expertise.

The closest dealer to you would be Max BMW. Great folks.

Welcome to the family!
Pete
Craftsbury Common, Vermont

THANKS Pete!

Banana belt? Hey now! There is more south to go from where I am !

How is Franks all the way up north? That would be a nice ride if I needed something or to get something done. I am new to the BMW world and it would be nice to connect with someone that has a similar bike to see how they farkled the think out. I am most curious of USB port options and looking at the Quad Lock phone mount.

Anyway perhaps the paths will cross someday, I work at Stratton and if you in the area let me know.

Thanks again!

TK

Thanks

Welcome to the forum

We have a 2007 model and no major complaints. Been rock solid and H’s go to commuter.

I laugh when you said “oil change” and “ simple” in same sentence. The funny quote from PGlaves was everything starts with removing left blinker! Once you have changed the oil a few times it’s no biggie, but can be messy the first try. Draining tank after blinker removal and following steps including the horizontal filter will provide a spill opportunity... BTDT!

Great home location BTW

What have you done to your bike to customize it for your needs? Looking for some ideas to make life a little easier in the saddle .

Thanks,
TK

What have you done to your bike to customize it for your needs? Looking for some ideas to make life a little easier in the saddle .

Thanks,
TK

H added an aftermarket saddle after trying several to find the right one
Tank bag with power for electronics
RAM ball mounts for GPS and phone cradle
PIAA lights, more for conspicuity as the stock headlight isn’t the largest profile .
but be careful of wattage as the charging system is easy to overtax with heated gear, lights and such. Doesn’t take much to deplete a battery on this model and strand you!
Hyperlites LED flashing brake modules also for driver awareness.
MRA Vario windscreen
OEM upper and lower engine guards... just in case

A great site all things F650 is F650.com. Lots of tips, accessory options and service info. The Chain Gang
Has been a great resource for years

It's always good to have a new member - and a new friend. Your bike looks beautiful, and I've seen very few black ones like that. Very, very nice! I'm sure you will be able to find a lot of help and suggestions on the forum. Welcome!

Welcome

From the true banana republic of the Deep South... Roll Tide. Your in good hands in Vermont, we have some great members and charter clubs in that state. You also have a most excellent bike, I used to own a 2001 F650GS, absolutely nothing wrong with it when I sold it to help cover the cost of a new Beemer. Again, welcome to the club sir.

Back