• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Minimum octane fuel for 2020 K 1600

This is simple, just go by the sticker on the gas tank. My bike says 89 AKI, that is what I do!

From memory, my tank sticker said 89 and my manual said 91.
I used both, that way I had the correct fuel part of the time :)
I removed the sticker from both of our bikes :)

I typically run 94 octane, no ethanol. When in the US, its usually 91 or 92, with ethanol. I once had to run 87 octane for a full tank (the horror!). Didn't notice any difference.

I typically run 94 octane, no ethanol. When in the US, its usually 91 or 92, with ethanol. I once had to run 87 octane for a full tank (the horror!). Didn't notice any difference.

According to the on-line manual for the R1250RS, the 94 octane isn't needed

R1250RS - Fuel spec.png

The 2016 R1200RS manual specified 89AKI E10.

As noted above, the ShiftCam R 1250 (Euro 5 compliant) specifies 90 AKI. Weirdly enough, my 2016 R 1200 (Euro 4 compliant) said to use 89 AKI, a lower grade. Around here the pumps are 87/89/91. Because I can't get 90, my choices are 89 or 91 and rather than go to 91, I stick with what worked on the older bike (89), or whatever lower number the middle button is at altitude. I don't ride at 10/10 so giving up that last increment of theoretical performance doesn't matter. I could even have it programmed to use regular (87) and save a few bucks if I wanted, and it'd still be fine for the way I use it.

As noted above, the ShiftCam R 1250 (Euro 5 compliant) specifies 90 AKI. Weirdly enough, my 2016 R 1200 (Euro 4 compliant) said to use 89 AKI, a lower grade. Around here the pumps are 87/89/91. Because I can't get 90, my choices are 89 or 91 and rather than go to 91, I stick with what worked on the older bike (89), or whatever lower number the middle button is at altitude. I don't ride at 10/10 so giving up that last increment of theoretical performance doesn't matter. I could even have it programmed to use regular (87) and save a few bucks if I wanted, and it'd still be fine for the way I use it.

I don't think you need to have the R1250 engines re-programmed for the 87AKI. I believe, the ECU adapts. On the R1200 engines, it did call for the ECU to be re-programmed.

I don't think you need to have the R1250 engines re-programmed for the 87AKI. I believe, the ECU adapts. On the R1200 engines, it did call for the ECU to be re-programmed.

Yes, they adapt. They adapt to higher fuel consumption and less power.

As noted above, the ShiftCam R 1250 (Euro 5 compliant) specifies 90 AKI. Weirdly enough, my 2016 R 1200 (Euro 4 compliant) said to use 89 AKI, a lower grade.

Both probably recommend 89.5 AKI and one time BMW rounded down and one time rounded up :)

Back