• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Minimum octane fuel for 2020 K 1600

I sent the following message directly to BMW Motorrad technical support:

”I am the proud new owner of a 2020 BMW K 1600 GTL.
I have a question for an actual engineer (as opposed to my dealer’s salesman) about the recommended fuel octane rating required in the owner’s manual vs. the BMW web site.
Specifically, on page 126, column 3 of my Rider’s Manual, as well as page 197 under Technical data, and even the back page it says:
‘Recommended fuel quality
Regular unleaded (max. 15%
ethanol, E15)
min 87 AKI (min 91 ROZ/RON)
87 AKI’.
But the the BMWMotorcycles.com web site, under K 1600GTL Data & Equipment, states “Fuel Type: Premium Unleaded”
My dealer also recommends and delivered the bike with premium fuel.
This is important to me for two reasons: 1) Obviously, regular fuel is cheaper. But at today’s prices that is only a quibble.
2) The big reason I feel I need to know what fuel is acceptable is that running a higher octane fuel than necessary in an engine will REDUCE performance and possibly cause the engine to run hotter than it would with lower octane fuel. Fuel with an octane rating lower than the engine was designed for will probably lead to REDUCED performance as well (as the brain box compensates for sensed knock).
And then there is the warranty to consider. I haven’t scrutinized it for a required minimum fuel octane, but what would happen if I damaged my engine by running it on the inappropriate fuel? Could they deny a claim based on that?
So please forward this (long, sorry) message to someone who actually KNOWS, not just has an opinion.
Thank you for your time,”

For the uninitiated, ROZ/RON is the European knock rating and you can translate between the US AKI (Anti Knock Index, commonly displayed on US pumps as “(R+M)/2”)) by subtracting about 4 from the Euro index. Therefore, the requirement for 91 ROZ/RON equates to 87 AKI, which is what’s specified.
For those of you that believe you can choose your fuel base on the static compression rating, the K 1600’ check in at 12.2:1!

:dunno:dunno:dunno:dunno. Probable Answer. My R NineT also states the same information in the owners manual for my 18 Urban 1200 oil/air cooled engine. I actually find my MPG suffers when using premium so have pretty much run 87 regular for 13000 miles now. I haven't compared engine heat between the two mixes, but then my engine always runs hot (it seems to me) running between 240f to 250f at 65 mph on interstate.
I'd be interested in their reply.

I am willing to bet my annual salary that you wouldn't feel any reduced performance using either 87 or 91 octane.

AKI is Anti Knock Index which is Research Octane (RON) plus Motor Octane (MON) divided by two (2) or in formula AKI = (Ron+MON)/2. It is what is on the pump labels in the United States. So AKI 87 is Regular at any station in the United States except in high altitude areas where AKI 86 or 85 might be sold and displayed. In the US what is on the pump is AKI.

Weschmann
Thread drift light on
Those temps your bike runs at while cruising seem very high to me.
Have you spoke with other owners? Is this normal?
Going up a long pass with a strong tailwind could be a problem IMHO
Nick

If your bike has any kind of compression at all, it requires premium.

To run low octane fuel in a high compression engine requires ignition retardation ... which creates less than optimal efficiency. Bike may have capability to automatically retard, but that doesn't mean its a good thing to use it. It's basically for emergencies.

For best power then, plus best fuel economy (both associated with maximum ignition advance), you'll run premium fuel. "More than it needs" is not relevant to this discussion.

There really are two different cultures at work here.

Europeans for many years faced very high fuel prices and lots of regulation. Their response was smaller, higher compression, higher revving optimally efficient engines.

For many years Americans used gigantic displacement, low state of tune, low revving engines that happily ran on about any fuel. Good thing it was cheap, because they used a lot.

Nothing about this history makes low test fuel use a better thing ... just a habit. In fact, it's negative, as the USA auto industry stagnated for so many years they may never catch up ... but that veers off topic.

There were, btw, crazies in our government that wanted to regulate everything, who proposed banning or maybe artificially pricing regular gas in order to stimulate higher compressions and consequent fuel savings.

Weschmann
Thread drift light on
Those temps your bike runs at while cruising seem very high to me.
Have you spoke with other owners? Is this normal?
Going up a long pass with a strong tailwind could be a problem IMHO
Nick
Yes, for the nine t it seems that they are right at normal. I've never had the heat warning light come on yet in my current 13000 miles and have kind of stopped worrying about it. Posts from all over the world, especially hotter climates than Midwestern Missouri suggest the heat hasent been a problem.

They mostly blend at the pump. Best to take a sample to have it tested before a fill up. :whistle
OM

I sent the following message directly to BMW Motorrad technical support:

”I am the proud new owner of a 2020 BMW K 1600 GTL.
I have a question for an actual engineer (as opposed to my dealer’s salesman) about the recommended fuel octane rating required in the owner’s manual vs. the BMW web site.
Specifically, on page 126, column 3 of my Rider’s Manual, as well as page 197 under Technical data, and even the back page it says:
‘Recommended fuel quality
Regular unleaded (max. 15%
ethanol, E15)
min 87 AKI (min 91 ROZ/RON)
87 AKI’.
But the the BMWMotorcycles.com web site, under K 1600GTL Data & Equipment, states “Fuel Type: Premium Unleaded”
My dealer also recommends and delivered the bike with premium fuel.
This is important to me for two reasons: 1) Obviously, regular fuel is cheaper. But at today’s prices that is only a quibble.
2) The big reason I feel I need to know what fuel is acceptable is that running a higher octane fuel than necessary in an engine will REDUCE performance and possibly cause the engine to run hotter than it would with lower octane fuel. Fuel with an octane rating lower than the engine was designed for will probably lead to REDUCED performance as well (as the brain box compensates for sensed knock).
And then there is the warranty to consider. I haven’t scrutinized it for a required minimum fuel octane, but what would happen if I damaged my engine by running it on the inappropriate fuel? Could they deny a claim based on that?
So please forward this (long, sorry) message to someone who actually KNOWS, not just has an opinion.
Thank you for your time,”

For the uninitiated, ROZ/RON is the European knock rating and you can translate between the US AKI (Anti Knock Index, commonly displayed on US pumps as “(R+M)/2”)) by subtracting about 4 from the Euro index. Therefore, the requirement for 91 ROZ/RON equates to 87 AKI, which is what’s specified.
For those of you that believe you can choose your fuel base on the static compression rating, the K 1600’ check in at 12.2:1!

Go to https://www.bmw-motorrad.com/en/service/manuals/rider-manual.html and read the evolution of fuel specs for the K1600 GTL from 2017 to 2020. While 89AKI E10 was specified in 2017 with the possibility of dealer re-programming to handle 87AKI E10, the 2020 manual specs 87AKI E15.

There's a similar "evolution" of fuel specs for the R1200RS and R1250RS.

I'm guessing this is just software/programming changes in the FI and ignition systems.

Go with what is in the manual and you should be fine. To throw a curve ball in here, try to find non-ethanol fuel and see how you like that. It is more $$ but your mileage will go up too. it is also know as REC90.
Recently because of the high temps here I started using premium unleaded if I can't find non-ethanol.
I find that the engine runs better... At least I keep telling myself that :laugh YMMV

The current generation of engines certainly seem much less sensitive to low Octane fuels. My point of reference was my old 1966 427 Vet. If I used anything less than Sunoco 94, the knocking, and bucking was VERY clear!!

While there are many engines now that have similar compression ratios, and more aggressive valve timing (variable) the effect are a lot less noticable to me.

I suspect, but do not know for sure, that the modern ECU uses multiple techniques simultaneously to minimize effects. Ignition time adjustment is but one. I suspect fueling is modulated (limited) so the cyclinder charging is not allowed to be as rich as it would be otherwise. Engine with dymancic Adjustable Valve timing (not our RS's) could also be modified.

Also even our RS's are so over powered that we veery seldom load the engine (WOT) so the cylinder charge is quite lean (harder for knock to happen) almost all of the time.

I am very confident there is no chance of doing any engine damage using lower octane fuel for normal riding and also pretty confident there is very little touring performance loss. I certainly can not notice it during the few time when I put low octane fuels in my RS.

I lose no sleep if I can not get high octane fuel.

ps Low Octane fuel actually has slightly more energy per unit volume than High Octane fuels!

I find this amusing as well.

Different bike, same confusing guidance from BMW...if its guidance at all.

Top photo is BMW's USA website. Premium fuel "required".

Bottom photo is out of the BMW repair manual specifications section. Notice how its very much NOT premium fuel.

I've only been running premium b/c I don't want to throw in 7 gallons of regular to find out I get pre detonation. I think I'm going to try it for the next tank. I have this sneaky suspicion that maybe the website is wrong. Is this just to make people think they have a "premium" bike?

My repair manual is the most updated version that downloads from BMW...

Fuel Requirements.jpg

I believe every motorcycle I have ever owned recommended premium fuel, but I ran whatever I wanted and never worried about it.

I believe every motorcycle I have ever owned recommended premium fuel, but I ran whatever I wanted and never worried about it.

Yeah, but I also know the Can Am Spyder F3 I had before would ping like crazy if you gave it anything other than Premium (I never did, but lots of video evidence).

I would like to know why his paper manual is different than the PDF manual BMW provides.

Not employed by BMW :D .... so I :dunno...

Anyway, I think that regular gas will work as it has for every K or R bike I have ever owned... The only thing I have done in the past is to use premium when it gets hot out to reduce/prevent pinging if you ride more aggressively.. YMMV

My Wethead recommends 89 AKI
My K1300S recommended 91 AKI

I don't have a copy of the manual for our K1200RS to know for sure what BMW recommended.

Back