Thread: Fun thing I found after many years

Fun thing I found after many years

So, my 84 R80RT was purchased with factory installed four way flashers. However, the switch has always been mounted not in the center of the handle bar pad were the cut out is but in fact on the fairing mount brace using a hose clamp. Not a big deal, I lived with it since it was new in 84.

Recently, a 84 R100RT came into my friend's shop for work. Lo and behold, the four way flasher switch was mounted in the center of the handle bar pad right where it should be. So, now, my curiosity kicked in, how did they do that? I had never seen any kind of special mount or anything in the microfiche. Just the housing switch and a hose clamp.

Turns out, the switch is mounted with the hose clamp to the center of the handlebars. Duh! a no brainer, so simple, I immediately felt like an idiot for not thinking of this long ago.

So, me liking things to be just so (to a point) decided to move the unit to its proper place. All was well until I realized the heated handgrip wires exit from a hole in the middle of the handle bars! The R100RT didn't have heated grips so no problem, no wires in the way.

So, I find myself scratching my head at BMW logic of the time. Let us make the heated handgrips wires exit out a hole that will put it in the direct way of a hose clamp that holds the four way flasher switch. Cheaper to drill one hole in the center than two with a space in between.

Way back then, BMW was doing strange things. I can't imagine what the new bikes are like. Maybe if next winter is real cold, I will pull the bars off, drill two holes re-route the wires and install the flasher switch in the proper place.

Just another BMW story. Enjoy the ride, cheery bye, St.

Will the narrowness of a zip tie make it work? I can't imagine a properly trimmed zip tie looking any worse than a hose clamp....
    1973 R75/5

I might try it

I will have to look and see if a zip tie will work.

Still scratching my head at the placement of the hole. LOL. St.

Surprise surprise!

Well, I said BMW does some strange things and I could not understand the logic of putting a switch mount in conflict with heated hand grip wiring.

I stand corrected. After some further investigation, I have found the mounting box for the four way flasher switch has the holes for the hose clamp off set from the center of the box. This allows the box to be mounted on the handlebars in the correct spot without interfering with the heated grip wires exiting the hole in the center of the handlebars.

So after 36 years of having the switch mounted in the wrong place, it is where it should be. I guess my dealer at the time felt it was so much easier to just hang it on the fairing bracket and tell me that is how it works.

Don't mind me, I am bored and this is just a little thing I found out while sitting between rain storms and not being able to ride.

I should have looked at the situation years ago. To be honest, I have never seen a properly installed switch until the bike showed up in my friend's shop. St.

Interesting. Before/after pictures?
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

No before, but after

I don't have any pictures of the before, or original spot. I will try to get pictures onto the thread of the finished set up.

Last time, I tried to post a picture on the forum, I could not get them to work, I don't do it very often and forget how. Could not figure out how to reduce the size of the picture file to match the forum demands. St.

You use Windows? Easy as pie!
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Easy?

Sorry, I don't mean to be a grump but, putting pictures into the forum has never been easy for me. I have also seen other members writing to the forum asking how in the heck to do it. Right now, I don't have the time to sit down and comb over the directions given in the forum replies. I do plan on taking some pictures of the installment and will figure out how again to post to the forum.

Part of the problem may not be the forum's fault but in fact most likely is at my end of the system. In the times I have called and talked first to Microsoft support, (useless and the worst service in the world) now, Apple, I have told the techs, "I don't want to know how to program my computer, I just want to use it." This conversation usually took place when I was using Microsoft products once a month. Some function would stop working and I would spend a day trying to figure out why only to have to call their useless tech support. With Apple, the problems are fewer but still happening. I find the Apple people head and shoulders above Microsoft.

So, pretty much what is happening is, I take a picture with my Android phone or Nikon camera, blue tooth to my Mac. Once in the Mac, I have to shrink the picture down to the requirements of the forum, figure out how to orient the picture so it is right way up when viewed in the forum. All of this I have done before but not enough to remember all the steps involved. Right now the sticking part is getting the file size down to the forum requirement.

Fear not, I will send pictures, just give this computer dud, a bit of time. LOL

P.S. Don't get me going on computer support especially in the area of Microsoft, I might bore you with my story of 20 hours on the phone with Microsoft techs who could not understand English nor speak it well. This was after one of them screwed up my computer remotely and could not fix it. That was the LAST straw with those jackasses. Apple is the way to go. St.

Sorry you have had past problems and experiences. It has not been mine. YMMV!

Here they are

So, Here are two pictures of the switch and how it is mounted. I realize, I have a part to refurbish in regard to the steering damper stem. It is funny how things wear out and break down over time. LOL.

IMG_20200530_090038512_HDR.jpegIMG_20200530_090302543.jpeg

As you can see, the clamp is off center, this allows the heated grip wires to clear at the base. Still bemused it has only taken me 36 years to get it right. St.