• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Jamie visits the Arai factory

AKsuited

<iframe width="994" height="559" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sBLJHcIraiY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

They make good helmets. I bought one of their early helmets - it was marked "HA" rather than "Arai."

Harry

Can't help but notice that photo of Hirotake Arai riding a motorcycle standing up. That's how Indian Larry met his untimely demise... Ironic that a daredevil like Hirotake turned out to be of such value to the cause of motorcycle safety.

Can't help but notice that photo of Hirotake Arai riding a motorcycle standing up. That's how Indian Larry met his untimely demise... Ironic that a daredevil like Hirotake turned out to be of such value to the cause of motorcycle safety.

They way I heard it was Indian Larry was being cheered on by the crowd to repeat one of his signature “stunts” and the repeat performance had him forget to turn the gas back on.
The resulting “buck” of the motorcycle threw him off causing his injuries.
Can’t really picture any rider hasn’t ridden standing at some point.
OM

They way I heard it was Indian Larry was being cheered on by the crowd to repeat one of his signature “stunts” and the repeat performance had him forget to turn the gas back on.
The resulting “buck” of the motorcycle threw him off causing his injuries.
Can’t really picture any rider hasn’t ridden standing at some point.
OM

Agreed most of us have ridden standing up...but very few of us standing on the seat, which is what I should have written.

Harry

And unlike Indian Larry, we are BMW ATGATT guys and even if we were standing on the seat, we would be wearing body armor and a full coverage helmet. Unlike the unfortunate Larry who was bare headed.

When I was a newb lineman’s helper and rode to work on a HD, the older guys asked if I had met Bill... barely knew any of them yet. Nope, not yet and they said I would know when I did.

Well, several days later, I hear a V-twin (60’s Indian) entering the employee lot as we were standing on the adjacent dock. Here comes Bill... a 60 year old Journeyman... standing ON the saddle with his hands up and a cigarette in one of them. My jaw dropped.
What a character, a Vietnam Vet, wise knowledge passing lineman with all his limbs but maybe a screw loose. Rode with him a few times, but from a safe distance! He had been riding into the lot for years doing that stunt.

The helmets are great, but the shield attachment and lack of ratchet mechanism are truly dated design features.

Arai or Shoei

Great video thank you sharing. Aria or shoei? I have owned both and would love to hear your thoughts.

Aria or shoei? I have owned both and would love to hear your thoughts.

I've only ever worn Arai so I have no comparison. What are your thoughts on either brand.

Unless you offer some brand specific pluses or minuses to make an informed decision, I'll stick with Arai.

The helmets are great, but the shield attachment and lack of ratchet mechanism are truly dated design features.

But it works. I can change visors in about a minute or less. And I've never had an issue with positioning my visor wherever I want no matter which bike I'm riding so no need for an inferior ratchet system.

Great video thank you sharing. Aria or shoei? I have owned both and would love to hear your thoughts.

IMHO, the latest generation of Shoei helmets is sized a bit larger than prior generations. As a result, I've shifted to the intermediate oval Arai models. At similar prices, the quality is similar, but the Arai shield mechanism is an older, less user-friendly design.

I've only ever worn Arai so I have no comparison. What are your thoughts on either brand.

Unless you offer some brand specific pluses or minuses to make an informed decision, I'll stick with Arai.

I've worn and been very happy with Arai for many, many years (I think my Arai Quantum set the standard for quiet). However, I got to the point where I really wanted a modular helmet, so I tested and bought a Schuberth C3 Pro a few years ago. The fit is very similar to the Arai and it is also remarkably quiet (although, I do wear ear plugs). I've been very pleased with it.

IMHO, the latest generation of Shoei helmets is sized a bit larger than prior generations. As a result, I've shifted to the intermediate oval Arai models. At similar prices, the quality is similar, but the Arai shield mechanism is an older, less user-friendly design.

Agreed that the Arai shield mechanisms were very finicky. But on my newest Arai helmet, the Signet X, the mechanism has been updated to make it more user friendly. I managed to remove and replace the shield shortly after purchasing the helmet to install the Pin Lock fog guard without wrecking the shield mechanism. I go with the Arai Signet X because it fits my long-oval head shape perfectly.

<iframe width="971" height="546" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iu16Vdh9EHo" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Harry

Back