• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Does the centerstand on your mono shock airhead completely retract on its own?

Anyname

Mine doesn't. when I bump the bike off of the stand, it stays on the ground and a nudge with my foot is required to make it retract. After owning the bike for about 10 years, it occurred to me that I could as the forum for its collective wisdom on this momentous question.

RealOEM shows two springs but there are two different lengths. One set is 111mm and the other is 143mm. Maybe shorter springs would help. :dunno

On my R90S, you have to move the stand with your foot to the final resting position. Been like that since new.

Yeah, I'm used to it too, but since I actually managed to remember this long enough to walk from the shed to my house, I thought I'd ask.

When this happened I replaced the bushings in the center stand and added a good amount of Staburags. Made the center stand behave like knew. That was for my 1989 R100GS.

/Guenther

Depends on the model..you didn't say in your question.

All the center stands mount with a bolt and bushing..early '70s had the bolt go straight into the frame and sometimes the bolt was cross threaded making the bushing kink to one side. Later models had the bolt mount from under the engine and a 17mm nut on the outside and the bushing had a flange edge..different design for the bushings but all suffer from the same problem IF you don't take the bolts and bushing out every 4-5 years and clean and grease them.

Anothe reason is the bushing has been dry for a long time and the center stand rubs a groove in the bushing...again, making it hard to extend or retract. You can physically see and definitely see where the bushing is worn out.

And the springs will wear out over time as stated above.

Or the bike was in an accident and the center stand was slightly bent and is now off centered. Have the bike supported on a lift or with tie downs..or someone strong holding it up... and take the springs off. Then see how easily the center stand goes up and down..and if hard, you know to start taking it apart.

Mine was originally an 86 RT. The fairing was gone when I bought it. It was dropped on the left side at some point but other than a scuffed valve cover it seems fine. I'll have to dismantle the stand and see what's up.

Back