• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

RT1250 vs the 1600's

So i'm sure this topic has came up more than once, but i'm curious what the riders of each will have to say pro and con over each unit. But i'm considering about 3 different bikes, the RT1250, GT1600, GTL1600, or maybe one of the B or GA unit's. I'm 65, retired, and currently own a 1200R as well as an 1200RT, both low seat versions. As we all age, life, weight, strength and old bones change thus am looking at something that has a little more leg room than a low seat unit. Currently have lowered pegs on the RT. Any comments would be appreciated, Safe riding..

I have ridden a RT and a K1600 within minutes of each other and didn't notice a huge difference in seating. One thing to consider is the RT is 200 pounds lighter than the K1600. One reason I went with the RT.

I'm hoping to see some comments here, too. Same age as the OP, I fell for the RT after a test ride. They didn't have a GTL I could test at the time, and I've always been fascinated by the Boxer engine. Similarly to PoorUB, I reasoned that the weight difference would be to my advantage, but have wondered if the GTL provided a little easier reach to the ground, thus more stability at low speed, parking lot, girlfriend mounting the bike while I hold it up. We fell over once because she insisted on getting on from the right instead of the left side. That was a pain. She follows instructions better now. :D

When in my mid 60's rode an RT. It was recalled for rear strut ('14) so dealer provided me a K1600GT to ride for a while. It was heavy and felt overly awkward compared to RT. I have and continue to ride one up, RT has more than adequate juice to get any job done.

Plus valve checks and adjustments on the RT are something like 3 hours. For the K1600 it is an all day job.

I like the K1600, thought seriously about buying one, but the RT gets the job done too. My buddy has a K1600GTLE and comments that he is surprised that the RT scoots along almost as well as the K bike. Performance wise they are not far apart.

Good thoughts here, thanks to all who commented, kinda what i was thinking anyway as not a lot of difference in power to weight ratio of the 1250 vs the 1600 when one considers how much lighter the RT is. Would like for one of the magazine's that still does 1/4 mile et's and speeds to compare those two units. And like someone said valve adjustment, etc, etc, is considerably less expensive on the RT than a 1600. Yes i know most Beemer riders aren't interested in those numbers, but i still read the et. and speed and quarter mile speed in magazine's. Just a quick note here the 1250R is a 10 second machine, not one's typical boxer, a real sleeper. At any rate, thanks again for the comments, and Ride Safe

Just because you are comparing BMW motorcycles, doesn't mean you're comparing what you should be.
A R1200RT is just much different than a K16.
If you want to compare a bike to the K16, look at the Goldwing.
Only you can decide what's best for you.
I'm on my K16GT because I'm not ready for an "old man's bike" and although it's a heavy machine and you wouldn't want to have to ask for help picking it up if you dropped it, it's simply the quickest, most nimble touring bike on the market.
I rode the RT before buying the Kbike and found the R bike very tame compared to the Kbike. It had too much vibration for me.
The great thing is that you have a ton of choices since you like a few very different machines.
Good luck in the purchase.

I looked this up a bit ago. The R1250RT runs low 11's in the 1/4 mile, 11.1-11.3 seconds are the numbers I have seen. The K1600 was high 10, around 10.9 seconds. not much difference. i never saw anything with the Rt in the 10's.

The one thing I thought was funny is the R1200RT ran numbers with in a tenth or two of the R1250 RT.

Last edited:
How fast is the GS?

It Don't Matter. The GS is not a race bike; it has other qualities than just raw speed. You can get a speeding ticket on a G310! IMHO, a GS is the best all-round Swiss Army M/C you can buy... :fight

All of these Bavarian machines have their plusses & minuses. It's simply the purchaser's choices & requirements that matter. I'm tickled with my GT's acceleration {when I need to pass the many bonehead, distracted drivers out there}. Plus I can get around 'dem Hosers' while pulling our Time-Out Camper!
:thumb
Happy Trails Y'all!
Ciao! HSV-Phil & HSV-Karen

'14 K16GT
'09 F650GS
'82 R100CS
'75 R90S

I have a R1200 GSA and a K1600GT. I have not ridden anything with the 1250 motor yet, and mine is a Hexhead not a water cooled 1200. So down 25hp or so on the current stuff. It gets around just find and I found the GSA riding position very good. The K1600 turned out to be very comfortable too and was the first pure street bike I bought and the first I could flat foot. I find it a hoot to ride. The way the six sounds and pulls is great. These days I'm not riding much at all because of the lockdown, but the GSA is probably going to get sold. However, if the garage were empty and I were to go shopping now for just one bike, I'd be looking at the R1250GS (not Adventure). My days of lots of dirt road are over, but still love that riding position and the new motor should do the trick for fun.

That's my thoughts. I don't think you'd regret either the RT or GTL. GTL will be lower seating feel than the GT. More of an "in" the bike than "on" the bike.

I had a K16GTL for 5 years and it’s a great machine. Never had any problems with it. The motor is a wonderful thing....just crank the throttle and go. Great touring bike. The only down side for me was the extra weight. Traded it in on a 2018 RT. The RT is lighter and almost as quick as the K. Both bikes in my mind are pretty close in ride and comfort. They both get similar mpg and tire mileage. The RT is has a buzz to it that the K doesn’t. The K has the superior motor. I am 6’ and 33” inseam. I could flat foot the K , the RT seat is a tad taller. Service cost is about the same for the two of them except the valve checks which the K cost more. I am going to keep the RT for while but am looking possibly for a good low mile KGT....I do miss that motor. Either one is a great bike and you can’t go wrong with either one. Also if you ride two up a lot I would go with the big K.

Didn't it replace the K1300GT?

Arguably it did. But only as an aside. The K1200LT was BMW's big tourer designed to compete with the HD baggers, Goldwings, Yamaha Venture, etc. BMW didn't abandon that segment of the market. It brought ouut the K1600 as it's premier tourer. A bit sportier too. So it actually replaced both the K1200LT and the K1300.

So i'm sure this topic has came up more than once, but i'm curious what the riders of each will have to say pro and con over each unit. But i'm considering about 3 different bikes, the RT1250, GT1600, GTL1600, or maybe one of the B or GA unit's. I'm 65, retired, and currently own a 1200R as well as an 1200RT, both low seat versions. As we all age, life, weight, strength and old bones change thus am looking at something that has a little more leg room than a low seat unit. Currently have lowered pegs on the RT. Any comments would be appreciated, Safe riding..

Well, I'm 73 yrs old and have ridded pretty well everything. The only time I have ever said "wow" about an engine in a motorcycle is when I first rode my K1600 GTL. it will easily outrun a 1250 boxer, smoother and just as good on gas, but the bike is a heavyweight and at low speed you definitely feel it. On the other hand, the seat height is only 29 inches and better for vertically challenged individuals. Just don't try to back it up or pick it up. But, OMG, that beautiful motor!

The only way to really get an answer to this question as it relates to you, before you spend thousands of dollars, is for you to take a test ride on the K 1600 GT and K 1600 GTL. We're all individuals and how a bike feels to one of us may, and probably will, be completely different from the way it feels to you. Also, the older we get the more significant a bike's seat height, handlebar type and placement, weight, and peg placement is as to how stable and comfortable the bike feels while accelerating, stopping, leaning into a curb, etc. Although you mentioned the GT and the GTL, you might want to also take a test ride on the K 1600 B, and the K 1600 Grand America. Then you can let us know what you think, and compare it to what we think.

E.

Thanks for all the great comments, thinking i like the Grand America as it has sit in feel rather than on, and i neglected to mention I'm only 5' 8' on a good day, and I'm not gonna buy high heel boots. So the Grand America sits as low as the other bikes in the K 1600 lineup, true much heavier than a RT but smoother engine, like you guys all stated, just need to go ride them all back to back snd see how they feel to me as they will be likes and dislikes to everyone else. Safe riding to all.

Back