Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: RT1250 vs the 1600's

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    Didn't it replace the K1300GT?
    Arguably it did. But only as an aside. The K1200LT was BMW's big tourer designed to compete with the HD baggers, Goldwings, Yamaha Venture, etc. BMW didn't abandon that segment of the market. It brought ouut the K1600 as it's premier tourer. A bit sportier too. So it actually replaced both the K1200LT and the K1300.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    The K1200LT was BMW's big tourer......
    "Big" would be an apt description.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixrdr View Post
    So i'm sure this topic has came up more than once, but i'm curious what the riders of each will have to say pro and con over each unit. But i'm considering about 3 different bikes, the RT1250, GT1600, GTL1600, or maybe one of the B or GA unit's. I'm 65, retired, and currently own a 1200R as well as an 1200RT, both low seat versions. As we all age, life, weight, strength and old bones change thus am looking at something that has a little more leg room than a low seat unit. Currently have lowered pegs on the RT. Any comments would be appreciated, Safe riding..
    Well, I'm 73 yrs old and have ridded pretty well everything. The only time I have ever said "wow" about an engine in a motorcycle is when I first rode my K1600 GTL. it will easily outrun a 1250 boxer, smoother and just as good on gas, but the bike is a heavyweight and at low speed you definitely feel it. On the other hand, the seat height is only 29 inches and better for vertically challenged individuals. Just don't try to back it up or pick it up. But, OMG, that beautiful motor!

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixrdr View Post
    So i'm sure this topic has came up more than once, but i'm curious what the riders of each will have to say pro and con over each unit. But i'm considering about 3 different bikes, the RT1250, GT1600, GTL1600, or maybe one of the B or GA unit's. I'm 65, retired, and currently own a 1200R as well as an 1200RT, both low seat versions. As we all age, life, weight, strength and old bones change thus am looking at something that has a little more leg room than a low seat unit. Currently have lowered pegs on the RT. Any comments would be appreciated, Safe riding..
    The only way to really get an answer to this question as it relates to you, before you spend thousands of dollars, is for you to take a test ride on the K 1600 GT and K 1600 GTL. We're all individuals and how a bike feels to one of us may, and probably will, be completely different from the way it feels to you. Also, the older we get the more significant a bike's seat height, handlebar type and placement, weight, and peg placement is as to how stable and comfortable the bike feels while accelerating, stopping, leaning into a curb, etc. Although you mentioned the GT and the GTL, you might want to also take a test ride on the K 1600 B, and the K 1600 Grand America. Then you can let us know what you think, and compare it to what we think.

E.

Thanks for all the great comments, thinking i like the Grand America as it has sit in feel rather than on, and i neglected to mention I'm only 5' 8' on a good day, and I'm not gonna buy high heel boots. So the Grand America sits as low as the other bikes in the K 1600 lineup, true much heavier than a RT but smoother engine, like you guys all stated, just need to go ride them all back to back snd see how they feel to me as they will be likes and dislikes to everyone else. Safe riding to all.

I went through this a few months ago. Im 60, 510, 150lbs.
    I was leaning towards the RT. After the test rides, i went with the GT. I just liked it better. It did take a week or so to get used to the size of it, but the duo lever system makes it more manageable at low speeds. I did get the Sargent low seat.
    Like me, you will have to ride them and decide.