• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Lower 1st gear? ‘95 R1100GS

wenas

Does anyone here know if it’s possible to lower the gears in an r1100gs? Most of my riding is back-country on dirt, and sometimes quite rutted, sloppy roads in the eastern Cascades of Washington. It’s would be very nice to be able to slow WAY down without having to ride the clutch. I have no real need for higher speeds on this bike and I’m willing to sacrifice the fuel efficiency that I’d lose.
I’m assuming that it would take a deep dive into the transmission to make changes, if it’s even feasible. Any experience with this? I couldn’t find anything already in the Forum.

Why not look for a final drive with a different gear ratio instead? Much easier to change out and you could always return to the original if you don't like it. Someone else will have to tell you which FD ratio to look for.

Why not look for a final drive with a different gear ratio instead? Much easier to change out and you could always return to the original if you don't like it. Someone else will have to tell you which FD ratio to look for.

This would be easy. The R1100GS has a 33-11 final drive or a ratio of 3.00 to 1. But an R850R final drive has a 37-11 final drive or a ratio of 3.36 to 1. Find a final drive off an R850 and it should bolt right on. Or replace the crownwheel in the GS with the 37 tooth one from an R850 and motor on with a 12% decrease in speed in any gear at any RPM.

But are the bevel gears the same on both bikes? I couldn't tell from the MAX fiche.
If they're not, then unmatched gears would cause accelerated uneven wear.

But are the bevel gears the same on both bikes? I couldn't tell from the MAX fiche.
If they're not, then unmatched gears would cause accelerated uneven wear.

It appears BMW only sells the ring gear and pinion gear as a set. So a final drive of a wrecked R850 might be the way to go. There is probably not a lot of them out there, but also probably not a lot of demand for the units.

It appears BMW only sells the ring gear and pinion gear as a set. So a final drive of a wrecked R850 might be the way to go. There is probably not a lot of them out there, but also probably not a lot of demand for the units.

Hard to find as the sidecar folks love that drive. I did locate one about four years ago after much searching

Back