Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2012 R1200R Damaged Oil Filter Spigot/Mount/Stud

2012 R1200R Damaged Oil Filter Spigot/Mount/Stud

I over-tightened the oil filter on my 2012 R1200R and severely damaged the threads of the spigot/mount/stud.

Does anyone know if this part can be removed and replaced?

Spigot Stud Mount Stripped Arrow.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

First off, welcome to the forum

That is not a good thing to see. I looked at parts fiche and it isnít clear if that is a separate part. Even if so, a case splitting endeavor.
    I would take picture to a dealer and get the possible remedies. Folks have removed stuck filters before, but that is a new one to me.

Someone else may have a better take
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum!
    Nice to have pictures. Is the metal on the threads off the filter? A little probing should tell. A thread chaser should help.
    Good luck.
    Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Threads on stud are mushroomed/flattened

To clarify - the threads on the stud are mushroomed and flattened. There is no material from the filter left on the stud.

Thanks!

Without polishing the horse apple this is either bad news or worse news. I do not think that stub can be replaced by just buying the part. If it can it will probably require that the engine case be split. Maybe with the engine out of the bike a very good machine shop can bore the damaged part out and cut threads and install a custom made replacement piece.

If that were my bike I would very carefully try to clean up those threads and install a new filter. There really ought not be a great deal of stress on those threads so this might work.
    Last edited by PGlaves; 05-26-2020 at 10:00 PM.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    If that were my bike I would very carefully try to clean up those threads and install a new filter. There reeally ought not be a great deal of stress on those threads so this might work.
    Looks like the first three, or the 2nd and 3rd thread may clean up enough to hold the filter.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Can anyone confirm what size the thread is. Itís usually listed under the oil filter specs. I have a prized thread chaser but as itís adjustable, not sure it would be able to make a revolution.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I do not know how the threaded steel filter spigot is mounted on the R1200 motors, but aluminum blocks are common on cars and the spigot usually just threads into the block:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6Sspezfxx_Y

If the spigot is not available from a dealer, there are several used/junk blocks on ebay. I would contact one of them about the part.
    -Live as fully as you can as long as you can-

If I were in your boat, I would take a new filter to a bolt store and see what fits, and check on of the aftermarket oil filter thread specs, and compare results. Then I would buy that size thread chaser. If that doesnít work maybe there are non metric filters with smaller tread diameter and you could re-thread the stub. I feel for your situation and hope the best for you.

i should be out riding! wyman.winn's Avatar
    If it were me, i would measure the outside diameter of the thread, measure the thread pitch using a thread gauge and purchase the correct threading die from McMaster-Carr or other industrial supplier and EVER so gently repair the threads...yes, the die would be kinda pricey but WAY cheaper than the alternative...dies are on the order of $45 or so...

just my 2cents worth...

edit...a bit of digging and i find that the thread is 3/4-16...funny that a SAE thread would be on a metric bike...I would, of course, confirm before ordering a die...

lookie here... https://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterXRef.html#7
    ~wyman~

2013 BMW R1200RT - Sassy - Fluid Grey Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Looks like the first three, or the 2nd and 3rd thread may clean up enough to hold the filter.
    I forgot this engine does not have a cover over the filter like a K bike Brick engine.
    With only two threads if the filter blew off, all the oil would dump in front of the rear tire.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

I would not take a chance on a questionable repair on this. With the engine running there is 300-400 pounds trying to push off the filter. Like the previous post, if the filter falls off going down the road it might not end well.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

i should be out riding! wyman.winn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    I would not take a chance on a questionable repair on this. With the engine running there is 300-400 pounds trying to push off the filter. Like the previous post, if the filter falls off going down the road it might not end well.
    the oil pressure relief valve is set to to open at 6.5bar Ī1bar or between 80 and 110psi...
    ~wyman~

2013 BMW R1200RT - Sassy - Fluid Grey Metallic

Perhaps double the number I posted. I didn't know what operating oil pressure for the model and used it 30 PSI. 90 PSI would be three times!
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

Looks like many filter studs are common size. Donít know if this one fits, though :

https://www.amazon.com/WIX-Filters-2.../dp/B000C9XYQG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Live as fully as you can as long as you can-