Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2012 R1200R Damaged Oil Filter Spigot/Mount/Stud

Another pic:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Live as fully as you can as long as you can-

It seems that these things are designed to be threaded in and out. The trick is how to unscrew the old one and screw in the new one. Check to see of there is an internal hex like for an 8mm or maybe 10mm allen wrench inside the bore of the stub. Then the trick becomes finding one to match the thread set that screws into the engine case.

I think it is time to consult a real good dealer tech who can chase the issue upstram with BMW tech if needed. We are guessing and I've been guessing wrong from the start.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Paul’s suggestion of having a dealer/tech chase this upstream with BMW is spot on. A couple of additional questions would be which threadlocker was used at the factory, and whether these are RH or LH threads going into the case. This would be a textbook scenario for using a LH thread. If there’s threadlocker involved it will be tough to get enough heat into the case without disassembly.

It would sure be nice if someone who has walked this path already could chime in, or someone with an old case that could do some hands-on research.

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

WOW! How can you even tighten one that much? Scary..
    Ride fast, take chances.

GTRiders comment about thread locker is something to consider. BMW seems to like using the equivalent of red Locktite in a lot of places and applying heat to the bottom of the crankcase could be tricky.
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

It would be interesting to see if the oil filter stud has a hex on the inside. That would be and indication that it is threaded into the engine block.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

Not the first time this has happened:

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...-release/page8

This might be an option:
    http://www.rubbersideup.com/2010-bmw...se-11117710369

If nothing else the photos show the spigot location and access. We haven’t heard back yet from the OP on the existence of an internal hex, or lack thereof, on the spigot.

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

My 2013 Camhead has a machined steel spigot that appears to be removable. This part should be available from BMW although not shown on the fiche.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Need your R11xx Hall sensor rewired? PM me.

Helicoil

Get the proper sized helicoil and die. Problem solved. When installing a filter a wrench should not be used, hand tight and MAYBE a a little extra. You’re only trying to set the seal. Don’t forget to apply a little oil to seal first. I’ve installed many a high pressure filter on aircraft hydraulic systems running at 3,000 psi and it was alway hand tight and one flat maximum with wrench.

I too thought it would be removable but a guy on advrider bought a used case and sacrificed it to see how it was made. Turns out his was CAST in place. Here’s a pic showing the sectioned spigot after cutting it from the case and removing most of the surrounding aluminum with a lathe: photo credit to Donkey Hotey advrider.com https://advrider.com/f/threads/re-th...447707/page-20
    Last edited by OldCamper; 06-17-2020 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Added photo credit and advrider link

Quote Originally Posted by OldCamper View Post
    I too thought it would be removable but a guy on advrider bought a used case and sacrificed it to see how it was made. Turns out his was CAST in place. Here’s a pic showing the sectioned spigot after cutting it from the case and removing most of the surrounding aluminum with a lathe: photo credit to Donkey Hotey advrider.com https://advrider.com/f/threads/re-th...447707/page-20
    The part pictured does not appear to have a hex on it (why would it be needed?) if it were cast in place.
    The one on mine does which leads me to believe it was an update (last of the run 04/2013)
    Note: the casting and machining on mine is different from the OP's
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Need your R11xx Hall sensor rewired? PM me.