• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bug Magnet or just me?

Never had

Never had a wasp, hornet sting me down south of the waist line. I guess my choice of riding pants and the tight belt worn while wearing them has helped.

I have had the yellow jacket down the jacket, in the helmet, Yep, fun little thing to happen at 60mph.

I always love the big June bug I can see a couple of miles ahead of me adjusting its flight path to smack directly into the center of my helmet. The last second dodging and weaving is a dance.

I also love being on a ride, stopping for a bevy and gas only to find out the top came off my spritz bottle of bug remover and the contents are now removing the bugs inside my side case. Foolish me, I always swear I am going to devise a way to keep the bottle upright and secure along with a clean towel, get home from the ride and forget all about it until the next time I open the bag. Thank God, I don't do that with repairs or maintenance or I would be in trouble. St.

We just had record setting rains down here in South Florida , between 8.5" and 18" depending on location, and I can't wait for the bumper crop of any flying insect imaginable we have down here...:banghead
This goes along with dead snakes, rats and gators who are then being fed upon by the turkey vultures who will happily fly into you if you're not careful... Ah spring in Florida...:laugh

Never hit

I have never hit a vulture, nor a crow, they use the buddy system to warn each other about oncoming cars.

I have however, had a pheasant attempt to fly through my front wheel at 60mph. I found feathers in the oddest places in the fairing for months afterwards. No pheasant dinner, there was not much left worth eating. St.

We just had record setting rains down here in South Florida , between 8.5" and 18" depending on location, and I can't wait for the bumper crop of any flying insect imaginable we have down here...:banghead
This goes along with dead snakes, rats and gators who are then being fed upon by the turkey vultures who will happily fly into you if you're not careful... Ah spring in Florida...:laugh

I assume your turkey vultures are the same as our buzzards. Other birds fly away as you approach, these stay put and dare you to hit them.

Had a lit cigarette down my jacket before. It came from a car window in front of me. I was not happy.

I assume your turkey vultures are the same as our buzzards. Other birds fly away as you approach, these stay put and dare you to hit them.

Turkey vultures are like deer and will wait till the last second to fly away and then sometimes end up as roadkill as well.... Roadkill is aka TV dinner down here...:uhoh

Turkey vultures are like deer and will wait till the last second to fly away and then sometimes end up as roadkill as well.... Roadkill is aka TV dinner down here...:uhoh

When "Where did you hit it?" refers to the location of impact on the carcass instead of your vehicle.............................you know you're in the sticks.

A friend of mine, who I will not name, is a bird magnet. Not hitting birds, but getting crapped on by them. And that includes an incident by a member of the aforementioned vulture family! Didn't cause any damage, but did make a big mess. In addition to the contents of an earlier meal, it left us with a great story to tell too.

Has anyone else ever found bugs squashed on the back of their windscreen? There's got to be some weird aerodynamics going on since I don't ride that slow and I don't think there are any bugs that fast...

I try my best to avoid the LA (Lower Alabama) and Florida lovebug season. There's a reason a lot of LA and FL cars were bug deflectors on the front of their cars, and I don't have a similar deflector on either of my bikes. But I do have one bug story to share -- two years ago I was on my way back to my collegiate alma mater in OK, traveling on I-40 in eastern OK. I hit a swarm of dragonflies! I thought I'd made it through with no visible ill effects. I was wrong! That evening, after checking into my motel room, I went back to put my RT to bed when I saw the body of a dragonfly wedged between my instrument gauge and fairing. I pulled most of it out, and then noticed another on the other side of the gauge. And a third. Later, I noticed my headlight cover was scarred between the center bulb and the left halo light. I'm still working on that scar, working to buff out the deep scratches. I figure a dragonfly got caught between the headlight protector and the headlight. Finally, I recently pulled off the Tupperware and found one more dragonfly perfectly preserved on the intake side of the radiator. I know I don't want to hit any more swarms of dragonflies!

Never had a wasp, hornet sting me down south of the waist line. I guess my choice of riding pants and the tight belt worn while wearing them has helped.

Sorry, tight belt made me chuckle and picture this:

E91E8DAA-4E0D-4047-9D92-F2C979B7D75A.jpeg

That would stop some bugs! :wave

and more bugs......

Back in the early '80s I was riding my old R90/6 home from work in Intercoastal City, LA, to Port Aransas, TX, and traveling on the old coast road (TX 87) from Sabine Pass to Galveston (mostly gone now.... washed away) and found myself participating in the annual Monarch butterfly migration. Unfortunately for all of us they were heading north. Even at about 20mph I only made about 20 minutes between face shield cleanings (no windshield) which entailed parking the bike and walking about 100 feet down to the edge of the surf. Long day, but an incredible experience.

I've killed a couple small birds with my helmet.
When Debbie used to ride on the back she would give me hell if I ducked.
She told me I should protect her and take it like a man :)

Has anyone else ever found bugs squashed on the back of their windscreen? There's got to be some weird aerodynamics going on since I don't ride that slow and I don't think there are any bugs that fast...

All the time....:banghead
Not to mention the weird places one finds the remnants of the bugs too....:scratch

When "Where did you hit it?" refers to the location of impact on the carcass instead of your vehicle.............................you know you're in the sticks.

Some areas we ride, are way in the sticks and it isn't uncommon for us to see a panther and/or black bears and deer on the levees in the Miccosukee reservation if we get there early in the AM..

Some areas we ride, are way in the sticks and it isn't uncommon for us to see a panther and/or black bears and deer on the levees in the Miccosukee reservation if we get there early in the AM..

No locals butchering the roadkill??? Sounds pretty upscale to me:)

Back