Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bug Magnet or just me?

Bug Magnet or just me?

I just returned from a 150 mile loop ride on my 78 RS and had to clean off the nearly opaque layer of bugs on my face shield. I am behind a slightly taller wind screen. The same thing happens when I ride my R80RT with a slightly taller windscreen. Mind you, I am looking over both screens.

So how in the heck do people ride with just sunglasses and an open face helmet on non wind screened bikes and not collect a billion bugs?

Is my face shield just a bug magnet? Curious me wants to know the answer. LOL. St.

Quote Originally Posted by STEVENRANKIN View Post
    I just returned from a 150 mile loop ride on my 78 RS and had to clean off the nearly opaque layer of bugs on my face shield. I am behind a slightly taller wind screen. The same thing happens when I ride my R80RT with a slightly taller windscreen. Mind you, I am looking over both screens.

So how in the heck do people ride with just sunglasses and an open face helmet on non wind screened bikes and not collect a billion bugs?

Is my face shield just a bug magnet? Curious me wants to know the answer. LOL. St.
    Thus the old, tired, cliche, joke about riders with bugs on their teeth.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

It's the mild-winter, cool wet spring, we've had.......lots of late hatches. My farm property is borders on a creek and the bugs are terrible, even at mid-day.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Be happy. From my riding experience the number of bugs seems higher this spring. That's a GOOD THING. https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...nderstand-why/

As for bugs in the teeth, I used to be a Harley rider with a brain bucket and riding glasses (if I wore a helmet at all), and bugs in the teeth were bragging rights. My Shoei RF1200 needs frequent cleaning this spring.
    An evil barbarian with a wrench in his pocket

It's even worse when you run into a big swarm of bugs about dusk (which happened to me on my 80-mile ride yesterday). It was a double whammy on visibility.

That reminds me of a bike trip to Malone, NY. I had to stop at a McDonalds in Watertown, NY. My face shield was solid bugs and I could barely see. I had to bring the helmet inside and wash it off in the restroom. I apologized to the gal behind the counter if the sight of that helmet grossed her out. I've never seen that many bugs on a faceshield. I believe it was this time of year. And as you know, this year in New York it went from winter to summer like flipping a light switch.

Harry
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

And this coming for a few states... a big splat!

https://www.npr.org/2020/05/23/86158...erge-this-year
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

When these dudes get out in the east it is going to be bug vs rider mayhem. It reminds me of the Mayflies along the Mississippi valley. We got into them one morning riding south along the river in Iowa, dead on the roadway an inch deep. It was like riding on slush. Not as bad as black ice but almost. We had to ride through maybe 20 miles of inch deep a carpet of dead bugs, at a much reduced speed for sure.
    Last edited by PGlaves; 05-26-2020 at 03:29 AM.
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

I bought one of these for $32 and it effectively diverts the bugs over my head. 610 miles last Tuesday cleaned face shield once. My Windscreen and the front of my GSA are covered in bugs.

s-l1600.jpg

14.5" Transparent Motorcycle Adjustable Windshield Spoiler/Air Deflector
    The only dumb question is the unasked question - Anonymous

Eat every Ham Sandwich like it is your last Ham Sandwich! - Anonymous

I have that type extension on my GSA, still see over top, but it catches a lot of bugs on those days when they are winning. I donít have to clean visor but top of helmet still looks messy.

We were headed west one summer and got into the huge grasshoppers in WTX or New Mexico... felt them hitting legs like rocks and the cylinders/ exhaust bends were just a huge smelly mess
    H was not impressed or amused since she took more direct hits on her Roadster. Only bright spot was they seemed to stay low and not into helmet zone.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

I always thought that black riding pants looked like they stayed cleaner than brighter colors until I rode through the grasshoppers as described by Henzilla. Then my black Aerostich Roadcrafter pants looked like they had greenish-yellow patches on the shins. The mess did come off with a garden hose so I didn't need to resort to the car wash.

I just returned from a 150 mile loop ride on my 78 RS and had to clean off the nearly opaque layer of bugs on my face shield.
    How timely!

We had a halcyon March here in western Oregon; overnight lows were around freezing but days warmed up into the 60's. The net effect was NO BUGS.

Fast forward two months. This is the result of a little 60-mile jaunt on my local back roads. Fortunately the Quiet Ride deflected most of the critters away from my visor but it obviously paid the price. On the one hand, I'm glad to see that our local environment is teeming with life. On the other hand, ...

Bugsy.jpg
    Bob Stewart
    Salem, OR

2018 RT

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    And this coming for a few states... a big splat!

https://www.npr.org/2020/05/23/86158...erge-this-year
    The impact on riding is minimal to the tree damage, especially fruit bearing and maple trees.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Bugs

With the price of meat going up, up, up you may want to ride with your moth open, cheap protein

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnsd View Post
    I bought one of these for $32 and it effectively diverts the bugs over my head. 610 miles last Tuesday cleaned face shield once. My Windscreen and the front of my GSA are covered in bugs.

s-l1600.jpg

14.5" Transparent Motorcycle Adjustable Windshield Spoiler/Air Deflector
    I was going to provide the same comment. I've been running one now for over six years. I clean my shield once a day to my riding buddies three or four.D4F5675B-F436-447E-B92A-A0A66AA551F7.jpeg