• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1985 K100RS gearbox and differential moly additive.

Just wondering if any of you guys put, or have put, anti-friction additives such as MolySlip into your gear box or differential, and what your thoughts might be regarding any potential benefits of using such a product?

https://molyslip.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage/products/molyslip-g-gear-oil-supplement

I started using Dow Corning Gear Guard in 1985 and have used it or an equivalent moly additive continuously in all gear boxes (that use a separate lubricant and not the engine oil) and final drives ever since. That accounts for almost 2 million miles of use in my bikes and my wife Voni's bikes.

There are several suitable brands. For years I used Guard Dog Moly gear oil additive. They closed down business but TS Moly still sells the same formulation as TS-90 gear oil additive. Dupont sells what used to be the Dow Corning Molykote line of additives. These call for between 5% and 10% to be added to ordinary gear oil by volume. I assume the Molyslip additive you mentioned is similar. I did notice it is a Canadian product which for folks in Canada may be easier to obtain than some of the others.

Yes, 5% to 10% of total volume. What have you been using percentage-wise, Paul?

Some of the moly sticks around inside the transmission when you do an oil change. It is supposed to cling to metal, after all. So the first time I use it in a bike I use 10%. After that 5% or so is sufficient.

I started using Dow Corning Gear Guard in 1985 and have used it or an equivalent moly additive continuously in all gear boxes (that use a separate lubricant and not the engine oil) and final drives ever since. That accounts for almost 2 million miles of use in my bikes and my wife Voni's bikes.

There are several suitable brands. For years I used Guard Dog Moly gear oil additive. They closed down business but TS Moly still sells the same formulation as TS-90 gear oil additive. Dupont sells what used to be the Dow Corning Molykote line of additives. These call for between 5% and 10% to be added to ordinary gear oil by volume. I assume the Molyslip additive you mentioned is similar. I did notice it is a Canadian product which for folks in Canada may be easier to obtain than some of the others.

Paul,
Given that TS-90 starts at about $50 for a quart, do you have an opinion about the "LiqiMoly MoS2 Anti-Friction for Gears" (https://products.liqui-moly.com/additives/gear-oil-additive.html#product-media-modal)? This is the detailed product information sheet: https://pim.liqui-moly.de/pidoc/P000009/1040-Gear-OilAdditive-40.0-en.pdf.

Paul,
Given that TS-90 starts at about $50 for a quart, do you have an opinion about the "LiqiMoly MoS2 Anti-Friction for Gears" (https://products.liqui-moly.com/additives/gear-oil-additive.html#product-media-modal)? This is the detailed product information sheet: https://pim.liqui-moly.de/pidoc/P000009/1040-Gear-OilAdditive-40.0-en.pdf.

I think it is probably just fine for the described purpose. I tried to figure out the mixing ration but failed. Dow, TS Moly, and Guardog all describe(d) the mixing ratio as a percent by volume. Liquimoly specifies the mixing ratio as grams per liter and the density as 1 gram per milliliter. So at 20 ml per liter this is a 2% mixing ratio. Which means that it is either more concentrated or they recommend a lower dose.

But - Liquimoly is a reputable company and their claims seem reasonable. So my verdict is that it is OK. I'm just glad I bought a gallon of Guard Dog additive just before Ben Mathes closed the company.

I think it is probably just fine for the described purpose. I tried to figure out the mixing ration but failed. Dow, TS Moly, and Guardog all describe(d) the mixing ratio as a percent by volume. Liquimoly specifies the mixing ratio as grams per liter and the density as 1 gram per milliliter. So at 20 ml per liter this is a 2% mixing ratio. Which means that it is either more concentrated or they recommend a lower dose.

But - Liquimoly is a reputable company and their claims seem reasonable. So my verdict is that it is OK. I'm just glad I bought a gallon of Guard Dog additive just before Ben Mathes closed the company.

I saw that strange mixing information as well and figured if I get some I will dump the entire tube into something that measures CCs and use that. If a 50 gram tube is X CC's and that is good for 2.5 liters of gear oil I would just do the math. They have an 800# on their web site so no harm in calling to ask about application levels. Thanks, Paul!

Back