Thread: Gear Indicator Showing Wrong Gear

Gear Indicator Showing Wrong Gear

I went to go for a ride today and when I went to start the bike (2005 R1200RT) it jumped forward like it was in gear. I checked and the indicator said N so I rocked the bike and it was definitely in gear. I tried shifting through a couple of gears and back to N, tried to rock the bike and again it was in gear. I went up and down the driveway a couple of times and have surmised the following:
    1 = Doesn’t show on the gear indicator
    N = 1st gear
    2 = Neutral
    2 = 2nd gear (if I shift up again after being in 2nd when it is really neutral, it then goes into 2nd and shows 2)
    3 = 3rd gear
    4 = 4th gear
    5 = 5th gear
    6 = 6th gear

When I was out earlier in the week all worked as it should, came home parked the bike and then when I started it today the above is what I experienced.

I disconnected the battery and reconnected it hoping maybe it would just “reset” itself. Anyone have any ideas what is going on?

I appreciate any insight anyone might have.

Thanks

Brian
    2005 R1200RT
    Brian

Did you perhaps either ride in some rain or wash the bike recently. I have no specifics for your model bike but on classic K bikes these symptoms happen when water gets into either the transmission switch or one of the connectors for that switch.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Did you perhaps either ride in some rain or wash the bike recently. I have no specifics for your model bike but on classic K bikes these symptoms happen when water gets into either the transmission switch or one of the connectors for that switch.
    No rain and I desperately need to wash my bike so that s not it. I will check connectors though in case one is loose.
    2005 R1200RT
    Brian

This might help you locate the position sensor:https://motorcycleinfo.co.uk/r1200gs...ure-index76db/

The GS-911 has a procedure to clear the adaptation values for the gear position indicator and then learning new values by running the bike in each gear for about 10 seconds.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    This might help you locate the position sensor:https://motorcycleinfo.co.uk/r1200gs...ure-index76db/

The GS-911 has a procedure to clear the adaptation values for the gear position indicator and then learning new values by running the bike in each gear for about 10 seconds.
    Thanks this is very helpful and appears to be more a nuisance than a serious issue, phew! I do have a GS-911, but got a new computer recently and will need to download the software. The download failed when i tried (we have horrible internet) so I will try again later and then use the tool tomorrow and see if that corrects it.

Thanks for the info
    2005 R1200RT
    Brian

I don't know for certain, but I suspect your gear indicator sending unit has failed, or needs adjustment.0
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

Problem solved! Thanks Larry, I downloaded the software for my GS-911 this afternoon, followed the instructions and reset the values, ran through the gears up and down and all is back to normal. Took her out for a shake down run for a couple of hours and all is working as it should with the gear indicator.

Thanks again for your help, it saved me pulling my hair out and I need to keep what little is left
    2005 R1200RT
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by time2ride View Post
    Problem solved! Thanks Larry, I downloaded the software for my GS-911 this afternoon, followed the instructions and reset the values, ran through the gears up and down and all is back to normal. Took her out for a shake down run for a couple of hours and all is working as it should with the gear indicator.

Thanks again for your help, it saved me pulling my hair out and I need to keep what little is left
    I'm glad that worked. Hopefully that was a one-time glitch and not a sign that the sensor is failing. Time will tell.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT