• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Gear Indicator Showing Wrong Gear

time2ride

I went to go for a ride today and when I went to start the bike (2005 R1200RT) it jumped forward like it was in gear. I checked and the indicator said N so I rocked the bike and it was definitely in gear. I tried shifting through a couple of gears and back to N, tried to rock the bike and again it was in gear. I went up and down the driveway a couple of times and have surmised the following:
1 = Doesn’t show on the gear indicator
N = 1st gear
2 = Neutral
2 = 2nd gear (if I shift up again after being in 2nd when it is really neutral, it then goes into 2nd and shows 2)
3 = 3rd gear
4 = 4th gear
5 = 5th gear
6 = 6th gear

When I was out earlier in the week all worked as it should, came home parked the bike and then when I started it today the above is what I experienced.

I disconnected the battery and reconnected it hoping maybe it would just “reset” itself. Anyone have any ideas what is going on?

I appreciate any insight anyone might have.

Thanks

Brian

Did you perhaps either ride in some rain or wash the bike recently. I have no specifics for your model bike but on classic K bikes these symptoms happen when water gets into either the transmission switch or one of the connectors for that switch.

Did you perhaps either ride in some rain or wash the bike recently. I have no specifics for your model bike but on classic K bikes these symptoms happen when water gets into either the transmission switch or one of the connectors for that switch.

No rain and I desperately need to wash my bike so that s not it. I will check connectors though in case one is loose.

This might help you locate the position sensor:https://motorcycleinfo.co.uk/r1200gs-gear-neutral-indicator-failure-index76db/

The GS-911 has a procedure to clear the adaptation values for the gear position indicator and then learning new values by running the bike in each gear for about 10 seconds.

Thanks this is very helpful and appears to be more a nuisance than a serious issue, phew! I do have a GS-911, but got a new computer recently and will need to download the software. The download failed when i tried (we have horrible internet) so I will try again later and then use the tool tomorrow and see if that corrects it.

Thanks for the info

I don't know for certain, but I suspect your gear indicator sending unit has failed, or needs adjustment.0

Problem solved! Thanks Larry, I downloaded the software for my GS-911 this afternoon, followed the instructions and reset the values, ran through the gears up and down and all is back to normal. Took her out for a shake down run for a couple of hours and all is working as it should with the gear indicator.

Thanks again for your help, it saved me pulling my hair out and I need to keep what little is left :)

Problem solved! Thanks Larry, I downloaded the software for my GS-911 this afternoon, followed the instructions and reset the values, ran through the gears up and down and all is back to normal. Took her out for a shake down run for a couple of hours and all is working as it should with the gear indicator.

Thanks again for your help, it saved me pulling my hair out and I need to keep what little is left :)

I'm glad that worked. Hopefully that was a one-time glitch and not a sign that the sensor is failing. Time will tell.

I'm glad that worked. Hopefully that was a one-time glitch and not a sign that the sensor is failing. Time will tell.

Two weeks later and the problem is back. looks like it will be time to replace the sensor, although maybe not too quickly. When it first occurred my wife suggested it might be time for me to buy a new bike. I will have to milk this for a bit longer and complain about the inconvenience of the gear indicator not working correctly until she is fed up with my whining and tells me to go buy a new one. As the saying goes behind every cloud is a silver lining.....

If I recall correctly you will need an E8 box end wrench for the two bolts that hold the sensor in place.

Fiddly to do, but did not have to pull to swingArm on a 06 gas.

Two different styles of parts for the 05. One with a D shaped shaft and one T shaped. New is $230 from BMW, $190 from Euromotoelectric, many used ones on rubbersideupllc.

If I recall correctly you will need an E8 box end wrench for the two bolts that hold the sensor in place.

Fiddly to do, but did not have to pull to swingArm on a 06 gas.

Two different styles of parts for the 05. One with a D shaped shaft and one T shaped. New is $230 from BMW, $190 from Euromotoelectric, many used ones on rubbersideupllc.

Thanks i was looking at it tonight wondering what kind of bolt head it was and whether i would have to pull the swing arm. Mine has the T style and while i was playing around in the area i cleaned up the area and fiddled with the connector a bit and its working again. I am guessing it is on its way out so i might as well save myself some frustration and replace it.

Thanks again

Two weeks later and the problem is back. looks like it will be time to replace the sensor, although maybe not too quickly. When it first occurred my wife suggested it might be time for me to buy a new bike. I will have to milk this for a bit longer and complain about the inconvenience of the gear indicator not working correctly until she is fed up with my whining and tells me to go buy a new one. As the saying goes behind every cloud is a silver lining.....

Brian,

I had this exact experience when my R1100RSL began to die at irregular intervals, even after I'd addressed all the usual culprits. My SO thought she was taking care of me in suggesting it was time to replace the bike, while to me it was a golden opportunity presented on a silver platter.

You can guess (correctly!) how it came out.

Same thing would happen on my 09 R1200 GSA. I disconnected the gear indicator, sprayed contact cleaner, applied a little dielectric grease. Then used liquid electrical tape and a small brush to seal where wires go into back of the connectors. Been 2 years and no problems.

Just a heads up

Back