Thread: F700GS Cold Temp Starting Problem

F700GS Cold Temp Starting Problem

My 2013 F700GS w/10000 mi seems to have a problem starting in the morning when itís near freezing. Day before yesterday and today with frost on the bike, but not yesterday when the temperature was 41įF (it started normally in one try). I replace the battery the day before yesterday and obviously that didnít do it.

What it does is fire up, the starter motor disengages, and then the motor will die within a second. Repeatedly. Soon as it warms up outside it will start as it should. Thereís never a problem at any other time than when itís near freezing air temperature.

I bought this last October and the day before yesterday was the first time I ever tried to start it in freezing temperatures. So for all I know itís an ongoing problem from before I bought it, it just never showed itself.

Any ideas? Thanks!
    Ted | 2013 F700GS | 2012 KLX250S

Can you hear the fuel pump working with ignition on?

/Guenther
    2017 F700GS - I wish it had a drive shaft

Quote Originally Posted by Guenther View Post
    Can you hear the fuel pump working with ignition on?

/Guenther
    It makes the usual noises, no different from when itís starting normally.

Edit: Iím not sure what sound that might be. I only hear the dash electronics when I turn the key on (just tested a minute agoóitís 70F or so and it has no problem starting in one go). Itís not possible to test at freezing since it wonít get that cold where I am now.
    Last edited by dellaster; 05-22-2020 at 09:16 PM.

Seems like itís not pulling in fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by epirusgr View Post
    Seems like itís not pulling in fuel.
    That makes two who think it might be fuel related. Iíve done some digging on this forum and elsewhere. I just reset the Throttle Position Sensor*, which was suggested in more than one similar situations, and I will add Techron in case itís dirty injectors or other fuel system clogging. These are easy, inexpensive things I can do myself before thinking about other possibilities.

Unfortunately, I wonít know if either ďfixĒ works unless I hit near-freezing temperatures again on my wandering-by-whim motocamping tour. I am actively avoiding such uncomfortable nights so itís hopefully unlikely. This cold snap caught me and my weather apps off guard. But doing these two things wonít hurt and the cleaner especially might be helpful regardless.

Wild card cause: funny business with the fuel canister Ďcause the bike dropped on itís right side a couple days before the issue occurred?

Anyway, I thank you and Guenther for responding. If anyone else has an idea Iím listening.

* Reset the Throttle Position Sensor: ignition on only, turn throttle handle from zero to full & hold five seconds. Repeat four more times ( five total) and turn off ignition for 30 seconds before starting.

I’m not sure what sound that might be.
    Remove the seat and get your ears close over the fuel tank. You should hear the sound of a turning electrical motor. While doing that turn off/on the ignition which makes it easier to identify the sound if any.

If it is the fuel pump and we don't know yet then this fuel pump might eventually fail in warmer ambient temperature.

There's also a chance that the fuel pressure switch is not working correctly at lower temperatures. It is possible to remove the plug to the sensor and try again. The plug is behind the small triangular plastic cover on the right side of the bike.

/Guenther
    Last edited by Guenther; 05-23-2020 at 03:18 PM.
    2017 F700GS - I wish it had a drive shaft

Quote Originally Posted by Guenther View Post
    Remove the seat and get your ears close over the fuel tank. You should hear the sound of a turning electrical motor. While doing that turn off/on the ignition which makes it easier to identify the sound if any.

If it is the fuel pump and we don't know yet then this fuel pump might eventually fail in warmer ambient temperature.

There's also a chance that the fuel pressure switch is not working correctly at lower temperatures. It is possible to remove the plug to the sensor and try again. The plug is behind the small triangular plastic cover on the right side of the bike.

/Guenther
    Okay... thereís a tone from under the seat when the ignition is turned on. Upon starting I kinda think I can hear a whirling/whining sound with the seat off, my ear to the fuel pump area. Thatíll be hard to detect if itís not thereóI can barely hear it as it is, when itís staring normally. But I shall make the attempt should the non-start happen again.

Iíll also remember the pressure switch plug. Thanks!
    Ted | 2013 F700GS | 2012 KLX250S