• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

F700GS Cold Temp Starting Problem

dellaster

My 2013 F700GS w/10000 mi seems to have a problem starting in the morning when it’s near freezing. Day before yesterday and today with frost on the bike, but not yesterday when the temperature was 41°F (it started normally in one try). I replace the battery the day before yesterday and obviously that didn’t do it.

What it does is fire up, the starter motor disengages, and then the motor will die within a second. Repeatedly. Soon as it warms up outside it will start as it should. There’s never a problem at any other time than when it’s near freezing air temperature.

I bought this last October and the day before yesterday was the first time I ever tried to start it in freezing temperatures. So for all I know it’s an ongoing problem from before I bought it, it just never showed itself.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Can you hear the fuel pump working with ignition on?

/Guenther

It makes the usual noises, no different from when it’s starting normally.

Edit: I’m not sure what sound that might be. I only hear the dash electronics when I turn the key on (just tested a minute ago—it’s 70F or so and it has no problem starting in one go). It’s not possible to test at freezing since it won’t get that cold where I am now.

Last edited:
Seems like it’s not pulling in fuel.
That makes two who think it might be fuel related. I’ve done some digging on this forum and elsewhere. I just reset the Throttle Position Sensor*, which was suggested in more than one similar situations, and I will add Techron in case it’s dirty injectors or other fuel system clogging. These are easy, inexpensive things I can do myself before thinking about other possibilities.

Unfortunately, I won’t know if either “fix” works unless I hit near-freezing temperatures again on my wandering-by-whim motocamping tour. I am actively avoiding such uncomfortable nights so it’s hopefully unlikely. This cold snap caught me and my weather apps off guard. But doing these two things won’t hurt and the cleaner especially might be helpful regardless.

Wild card cause: funny business with the fuel canister ‘cause the bike dropped on it’s right side a couple days before the issue occurred?

Anyway, I thank you and Guenther for responding. If anyone else has an idea I’m listening.

* Reset the Throttle Position Sensor: ignition on only, turn throttle handle from zero to full & hold five seconds. Repeat four more times ( five total) and turn off ignition for 30 seconds before starting.

I’m not sure what sound that might be.

Remove the seat and get your ears close over the fuel tank. You should hear the sound of a turning electrical motor. While doing that turn off/on the ignition which makes it easier to identify the sound if any.

If it is the fuel pump and we don't know yet then this fuel pump might eventually fail in warmer ambient temperature.

There's also a chance that the fuel pressure switch is not working correctly at lower temperatures. It is possible to remove the plug to the sensor and try again. The plug is behind the small triangular plastic cover on the right side of the bike.

/Guenther

Last edited:
Remove the seat and get your ears close over the fuel tank. You should hear the sound of a turning electrical motor. While doing that turn off/on the ignition which makes it easier to identify the sound if any.

If it is the fuel pump and we don't know yet then this fuel pump might eventually fail in warmer ambient temperature.

There's also a chance that the fuel pressure switch is not working correctly at lower temperatures. It is possible to remove the plug to the sensor and try again. The plug is behind the small triangular plastic cover on the right side of the bike.

/Guenther

Okay... there’s a tone from under the seat when the ignition is turned on. Upon starting I kinda think I can hear a whirling/whining sound with the seat off, my ear to the fuel pump area. That’ll be hard to detect if it’s not there—I can barely hear it as it is, when it’s staring normally. But I shall make the attempt should the non-start happen again.

I’ll also remember the pressure switch plug. Thanks!

Back