Thread: 2006 R1200GS Driveshaft mating

2006 R1200GS Driveshaft mating

last item on my spring service was to change final drive oil and clean/grease the splines. I am at the point of putting everything back together. Problem is mating driveshaft to final drive splines. Is there a proven way to do it. I have attempted it several times with boot attached to final drive and also boot attached to other end. Too much movement on driveshaft end. difficult to get the right angle. Any tricks ?
    thanks,
    Karsten

I turn the rear yoke to a horizontal swing so it will not drop down as much. It typically has enough resistance to stay in place. Slowly raise drive to match and turn rotor slightly to engage splines.
    On some I remove boot and make sure I am close to lineup and then replace boot and swing back in place

Patience def your friend. I do the line up and upswing from the rear and not off to the side as well
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

I have attempted it yesterday several times, got mad, had to let it be. Went out there early this morning, fresh attitude, attempted multiple times, any and all ways I could think of, asked for advise here, went back out put boot on final drive, several attempts later, no luck. Wife comes out asks what the trouble was, I told her mating the driveshaft to final drive was like playing Lotto, equally poor chance of hitting jackpot. She said let me see, guess what, within 5 minutes she lined it up while I moved final drive up. I should have asked her yesterday, going to have her buy Lotto ticket !

Quote Originally Posted by KARSTEN View Post
    I have attempted it yesterday several times, got mad, had to let it be. Went out there early this morning, fresh attitude, attempted multiple times, any and all ways I could think of, asked for advise here, went back out put boot on final drive, several attempts later, no luck. Wife comes out asks what the trouble was, I told her mating the driveshaft to final drive was like playing Lotto, equally poor chance of hitting jackpot. She said let me see, guess what, within 5 minutes she lined it up while I moved final drive up. I should have asked her yesterday, going to have her buy Lotto ticket !
    I can't even count the times I have discovered that three hands are better than two, and two heads are better than one. Voni may have counted. I lost count years ago.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/